Super OT : World Cup 2018

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

patrickl

Super OT : World Cup 2018

Post by patrickl »

Time flies. Next month is the World Cup again. A month of feasting, drinking and exercise for the eyes. I wonder if the Germans can make it two in a row? [:)]
Banner designed by rogueusmc
Rusty1961

RE: Super OT : World Cup 2018

Post by Rusty1961 »

Go Deutchland.
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
Andrea G

Post by Andrea G »

Do you mean the "Almost World Cup 2018" ?
How can it be a world cup without Italy?
[:D]
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

Ah yes - the game where

1) Humans are designed to manipulate objects with their hands. Then we developed tools. Not only don't you use tools, you can't use your hands.

2) You are encouraged to manipulate the ball with your head, and NO HELMET.

I think that American disdain for the sport is a GOOD thing. And its increasing popularity in the US is a sign of our decline.
Bill Goin
jamesjohns

Post by jamesjohns »

No nothing about soccer but always felt like we in the USA are missing out on something with the World Cup. March Madness only most of the world is participating in it. Several decades ago when stationed in Germany recall the passion soccer fans had and the world cup
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

So long as FIFA is intimately associated with the World Cup, I want nothing to do with it. Do you *really* think that Russia and Dubai are the two best spots globally to hold the cup in the next 8 years? Really?
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Andrea G

Do you mean the "Almost World Cup 2018" ?
How can it be a world cup without Italy?
Easy. The Italian team wasn't good enough. [:(]

Although there is definitely something wrong how the seeding, and rating, for the different tournaments are done. The teams from Spain and Italy should not be able to be in the same qualifying group.

I hope that Italy takes this as an opportunity to strengthen their team. I would dislike to see them miss another tournament.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

So long as FIFA is intimately associated with the World Cup, I want nothing to do with it. Do you *really* think that Russia and Dubai are the two best spots globally to hold the cup in the next 8 years? Really?
You said it.

Although I doubt that other sports associations are that much better.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Schani59

Post by Schani59 »

World Cup up here means hockey. Football (soccer)Phhhssstt ,is nap time. Nothing more boing than watching bowling. snooorrrrre.
This is one Czech that does not bounce.
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Welcome to Russia, blyat!

In that order, Germany or Portugal or Spain.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Being a world cup, it is by default open to those other "not so nice" countries like Russia or even Iran

FIFA is a lot cleaner now, probably cleaner than the Olympic committee, I am talking after the end of the Blatter era; and if anything, I think FIFA is more transparent than the North American sport federations (NHL, NBA, NFL), in the sense that in North America we have these "franchises" owned by old wealthy families that control everything. For example, my city, Toronto, can easily support 2, even 3 NHL teams, there had been so many ideas to make this work, like building a big arena in a nearby suburb, but no, that is not possible because some super rich family might loss a bit of revenue, therefore it is not happening. That kind of mentality doesn't occur when a centrally organized organization, like FIFA, is in charge; if they smell the money, like when they decided to play a world cup in Qatar, they will do it.

Also important: My home country, Peru, is playing the world cup for the first time since Spain-1982. the hype and expectations that this brings is beyond believe, that is all what people talks about down there, all the newspapers, the TV commercials, the sports cards/ sticker albums, and of course Peru's best hopes are at most to survive group stage and be eliminated in the rounds of 16s, or 8s

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury
That kind of mentality doesn't occur when a centrally organized organization, like FIFA, is in charge; if they smell the money, like when they decided to play a world cup in Qatar, they will do it.

Yes, but the downside of that is that when a centrally organized organization, like FIFA, has their higher ups' palms greased to extract personal gain, there's every likelihood that they will do that-even if it doesn't make sense for the organization, the participants or the fans. Wasn't the decision to play in Russia and Dubai made under Blatter? I don't think the IOC is much better either.

The North American leagues that you mention are, in my opinion, subject to significant political and public scrutiny. Sure, the monied franchises are tightly held in perpetual family circles, but they seem to be much more responsive to publicly-derived issues du jour than some of the international bodies that aren't beholden to any one national base of support.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Yes the decision to choose Russia and Qatar was made under Blatter; and it is most certain that there was money involved in the decision making process. The later is actually quite questionable as the typical timing of a world cup coincides with the hottest months there, which is of course not good for the players.

That said, it was time for Russia to have a world cup, most of the other candidates have had it before; some even relatively recently (USA in 1994). We are all happy that the Blatter mafia is out, I am particularly happy because the Latin American bosses were the worst thieves. More so, they were untouchable thieves because any government attempt to intervene a soccer federation would be met by FIFA with a threat of the country becoming a soccer pariah = losing affiliation, in other words, no more world cups, soccer championships, qualifiers, etc. A Latin American government can easily fall if that happens ;)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, soccer fans will be forever in debt with the FBI, as only they could had brought down FIFA leadership

SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

Very strange no Spaghetti Squad this year but all streaks must end I guess.

Will be cheering for the Germans, although thinking Brazil is going to win.

Spain will be the biggest disappointment. Dark horse... England. Maybe this will be the year XD
Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

All you need to know about soccer is in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCacbm4AV2E

EDIT: Here's another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35OLRtd-POo

And here's a smiley so you know this is goodnatured banter: [:D]

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

Whao Ice Hockey is really dangerous stuff. Soccer can be dangerous too when the ball hit you straight in the face or groin.
Banner designed by rogueusmc
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

There is also blood in soccer; usually a knee or elbow hitting an unprotected head. Soccer players wear very little protection, no helmet, no pads, no gloves, just a shin guard.

And as you can see, players will simply keep playing, after wounds have been bandaged, not a big deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS6Z2obQ_Cg

but by far the most dreaded and damaging injuries are broken legs or knees, as those mean long recovery time without playing, or even a career end

there are some horrible examples in youtube I just don't want to post

CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

I'm with you, Jorge. I know it can be dangerous. I used to play the game in my youth.

I think the diving and other Oscar-level performances by players of the sport come off as unsportsmanlike to a lot of fans. The histrionic player holding onto his calf for dear life gets pulled off the field on a stretcher and then is back on the field in 30 seconds. No doubt I'm missing some nuance, but it detracts from the seriousness of the game.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

There is also blood in soccer; usually a knee or elbow hitting an unprotected head. Soccer players wear very little protection, no helmet, no pads, no gloves, just a shin guard.

And as you can see, players will simply keep playing, after wounds have been bandaged, not a big deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS6Z2obQ_Cg

but by far the most dreaded and damaging injuries are broken legs or knees, as those mean long recovery time without playing, or even a career end

there are some horrible examples in youtube I just don't want to post

Yeah. Thank you for sharing.

Although I do not give much for a video about bleeding on the football pitch that hasn't the player who changed the football rules, Terry Butcher, included.

Warning: Contains blood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFDNcHXJoFE

Maybe you didn't want to post it because all the bleeding?
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

All you need to know about soccer is in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCacbm4AV2E

EDIT: Here's another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35OLRtd-POo

And here's a smiley so you know this is goodnatured banter: [:D]

Cheers,
CC

I have seen plenty of diving in hockey. Some are so good at it that I think they could take medals as a Olympic Diver. [;)]

Attachments
000.jpg
000.jpg (31.72 KiB) Viewed 167 times

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”