How to use proficiency to defeat an opponent?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Fred98

How to use proficiency to defeat an opponent?

Post by Fred98 »

The word "proficiency" appears lots of times in the manual. There is no explanation how to utilise it.

1. At the start of any scenario I know the overall force proficiency for my side and the enemy's side. How can I use that knowledge to win?

2. As for each individual unit, what is the proficiency level whereby I should take them out of the line?

3. As for each individual unit, how can I improve their proficiency level?

larryfulkerson

RE: How to use proficiency to defeat an opponent?

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Fred98
The word "proficiency" appears lots of times in the manual. There is no explanation how to utilise it.

1. At the start of any scenario I know the overall force proficiency for my side and the enemy's side.
How can I use that knowledge to win?
Let's say you are playing the Japanese side against the Chinese. The Chinese are little more than a
mob so they might have a proficiency of about 40 whereas the Japs are about 90 or so. That knowledge
should tell the Chinese player not to attack the Japanese.....let the Jap attack the Chinese and make
the Chinese stacks big and the Japs might have a harder time
2. As for each individual unit, what is the proficiency level whereby I should take them out of the line?
I like to keep my LCU's at about 50% proficiency myself but it's really a matter of taste. The level
where disertion set in is about 30% or so and I like to have a cushion in case I get attacked.
3. As for each individual unit, how can I improve their proficiency level?
The individual units increase in successful combats, slowly. And the closer they get to a higher
proficiency the harder it is to increase. I've seen 100% units so I know it's possible to "train" a
unit through easy combats to get to a higher proficiency level.
When you're dead you aren't aware of the pain of those around you. The same thing happens when you're stupid.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Some general tips that apply for TOAW IV as well.

Norm's post on unit proficiency and commentary

The following is derived from a post by Norm Koger to the TOAW board: "Untried units do have their proficiency reset in their first combat. The range is +/- 25%. (The function declaration is look_at_the_elephant (int unit_index).) "

Every round of combat in which a unit participates has a chance of increasing the unit's proficiency. The chance = (100-proficiency)%. Low proficiency units improve more rapidly than high proficiency units.

If a unit receives a large number of replacements in a given turn, there is a chance that the units will revert to its untried state -- meaning it has its proficiency reset at the beginning of the next combat. That's what happens to a unit when it first "looks at the elephant". Then it received a large number of replacements, lost its veteran status, and became even worse the second time it saw the elephant.

The "Korea" scenario is interesting in this regard. An element in this scenario is the necessity of training US troops on the job, and rebuilding SK armies, without taking too many losses. This subtlety makes "Korea" one of the more difficult scenarios. I usually form the US units into a Corps and start hammering in one spot for a fistful of positive combat results--it's good training, and the units do not take enough losses to trigger loss of their veteran status. The same applies to the South Koreans--use part of the army to screen the bad guys, and train a three or four division assault Corps for use on the US flank. If you do it right, you'll have one US Corps and one SK Corps with over 70% proficiency when the time comes to invade the North.

One way to use this information is to train your troops in combat with small victories. Another way is to take a unit with lousy proficiency (compared to its untried proficiency), and have that unit soak up losses. It will likely reset with an influx of replacements. Thus when it re-rolls, it will on average be higher rated than it was before--in some cases, much higher.

More: http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/docs/s ... -guide.php

Klink, Oberst
[left]My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Annabelle1993

Post by Annabelle1993 »

The proficiency represents how effectively and efficiently a unit can utilize its resources and take military actions. To give you an idea how proficiency factors into the game, look at the two formulae below:

1. Attack Strength = Combined weapons attack ratings(a term I coined) * (2 * Proficiency + Readiness + Supply) / 4; Attack Strength is the lower left number you see on your unit counter.

2. Unit Quality = (2 * Proficiency + Readiness) / 3, Quality is used to determine whether a unit prematurely break away from an offensive or retreat from an enemy assault.

One implication of the above formulae is that a unit with higher proficiency will be able to retain better its fighting capability in lower readiness and supply state.

Also the higher the proficiency the lower the desertion rate when your unit is cut off from supply. This is extremely important on fluid frontlines where everybody tries encircling everybody every turn.

- Annabelle

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”