How to speed up construction of a starbase (station)?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

SeanThornton

How to speed up construction of a starbase (station)?

Post by SeanThornton »

I am now building a small space station at my first colony, and it's taking FOREVER. When I look at the construction yard info, the construction speed is 45, instead of the 300 I see at my homeworld, other space station, and construction ships. What can I do to get this colony's build speed up to 300?

Thanks!
Bingeling

RE: How to speed up construction of a starbase (station)?

Post by Bingeling »

For pure construction speed, you need more population. The only thing to consider when it comes to this, is to not order colony ships at the smaller colonies.

If it really takes "forever" it is more likely to involve lacking resources as well.
SeanThornton

Post by SeanThornton »

Yeah, it's really slow, not forever :)

It's a space station, not a colony ship, but I see your point. So, how big do you let your colonies grow to, before building a station?

Thanks for the quick reply :)
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Well, you do not really have an option when it comes to where to order the spaceport :) Except maybe building a tiny design with a construction ship (I never tried to).

I have never paid too much attention to construction speeds, but I would try to avoid those with less than a couple of billion inhabitants. If you have a decent selection of colonies, you could check the speeds vs population.
SeanThornton

Post by SeanThornton »

Thanks, that's good info. So, I guess 60M was way too small, yet! :)
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

or you can build a "Micro" design very small port with only the components that you really need to speed up the growth of the population on the planet (Medical Center - Recreation Center)
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

anyway, from my previous gaming experiences, if you have all the necessary resources on the planet, it take more or less 20 months of gaming time for an average "Small Space Port" to be builded on a planet with 400 millions of colonists on it - yard speed: 119.

hence, if your current planet has a yard speed of 45 [and you have all the necessary resources on the planet] it should take more or less 52-55 months of gaming time to build an average "Small Space Port".

SeanThornton

Post by SeanThornton »

All excellent info, thanks Bingeling and Hattori!

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”