Starfall Corrected

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Sabranan

Starfall Corrected

Post by Sabranan »

This is something that I occasionally thought about doing but never really got around to. Since the Starfall mod doesn't work with Universe and the author has declared that he doesn't intend updating it further (and hasn't logged in for more than a year) I decided to use my modding tool to get it into a state that actually loads.

I haven't extensively tested it, but it does load and lets you start a new game.

I also haven't made any changes to the mod other than what was required to get it loading in DW and correcting some typos, so I don't know what the balance is like or anything. Still, should be fun for fans of the old mod!

You can download it here.

Edit: Original thread
RogerBacon

RE: Starfall Corrected

Post by RogerBacon »

Good job!
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

Wooooo, thank you!
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

a very good thing !!!!! [&o]
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Maybe link the original thread in the first post?
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

Good idea Bingeling, done now.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

I added the Sabranan corrected version link also to the original "Stafall" thread
Beyondfubar

Post by Beyondfubar »

This mod is just amazing, thank you Sabranan for resurrecting it. On that note does anyone know what the top of the high tech tree three techs deep and on is for? Seems to not have anything in it ( I am a noob to distant worlds I am not sure if I got a bad download, missed something or if it really is useless)
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

I've just found a problem thanks to your comment Beyondfubar, some of the original Starfall research entries used multiple component improvement lines, something my modding tool didn't know what to do with and only ended up using one of them.

I've since updated my modding tool to handle that and pushed a new version of the Starfall Corrected mod implementing it, so anyone playing it at the moment should re-download from the link in the OP.

As for the tech (I think you're referring to "Enhanced Holograms") you're quite right, the component improvement for the Fleet Countermeasures system doesn't actually appear to do anything. In the original Starfall mod, it had a value 2 of 20, but that's an unused value for Fleet Countermeasures in Universe. Maybe it used to do something in an older version of DW?

With the updated version, it does also add a ShadowGhost ECM improvement so at least that's something.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Just curious, if the latest starfall update (1.12) was on 2-17-2016, and the last universe patch was 5-18-2015, why doesn't it work? Are you running starfall 1.12? I could swear I played it but it's been awhile so maybe I'm mistaken.
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

Yeah it's 1.12, but the original version has the research records (among other things) out of order and the game won't start up if that's the case.

As for why it was released like that, maybe the author still intended it to be played with a version of DW prior to Universe? That's the only reason I can think of for releasing a version that's broken in Universe.
fierceking

Post by fierceking »

I'm the original maker of Starfall.

The sequence of tech numbers are designed for a purpose. The numbers don't have to be in sequence for any mod to work. I've explained this 2 years ago in the Starfall thread. The game doesn't care about the sequence of numbers.

I did it this way because it made it easier to modify and keep track of groups of techs together since I never had a tool like yours to work with. Since I kept on adding new components and techs at different times it would have been a real pain to scroll up and down checking each tech and comparing their stats. Checking which parent tech belonged to what child tech and so on.

Grouping tech together made modding easier for me. The game handles it fine w/o crashes. This goes for the component.txt. It does not need to be in sequence.

Also this mod was made for Universe not the other older versions of DW. It needs 1.12 because that update increases the cap on components. Without that update this mod will not load since it added a lot new compononts
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

Well that certainly answers the seeming contradiction Retreat brought up so thanks for clarifying that.

And trying it, your original Starfall 1.12 now loads... Which is weird, because I swear once upon a time it crashed with a message about the research or components file having non-sequential records. I'm sure there hasn't been a DW update since then so I'm at a bit of a loss to explain that lol!

If I'd known it just loaded I probably wouldn't have bothered running it through my tool, but I'll leave the changed version up all the same since it fixes some minor issues.
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

New update to this since the last version had broken fleet countermeasures/targeting systems.
Hanekem

Post by Hanekem »

little heads up, the tech Advanced Colonization is EMPTY, not sure if this is a starfall thing or what, but figured I'd let you know
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

Yeah it was that way in the original 1.12 (and 1.10) as well, so it's literally just a required step for getting Magma Harnessing or Hive Colonies. I don't know whether that was intended or not but it's not a consequence of running it through data validation.
syntaXerroR

Post by syntaXerroR »

I d/l'd this yesterday and there seems to be a problem with the ecm/eccm and researches/modules. Did another update (since the last ecm update fix) break this again?
your superior intellect is no match for my puny braiN!
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

I'll likely need some more detail here... What is the problem exactly?
syntaXerroR

Post by syntaXerroR »

All the various targeting and ecm modules in the research tree give bonuses to targeting and ecm. Depending on the research path you choose you get something like +30% to targetting and +20% to ecm. The problem are with the fleet versions as they currently all read +0% and the actual module also reflect this after unlocking them.
your superior intellect is no match for my puny braiN!
Sabranan

Post by Sabranan »

Ok, I've just had a look at the version I'm using and I can't see any +0%, so I'm not sure what's going on there. In any case I've recompiled it and updated the zip.

It'll likely take about 10 mins from the time of this post to synchronise with Google Drive, I'll edit this message once it's done and you can redownload it.

Return to “Design and Modding”