Battle Ground Ardennes

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Paratrooper

Battle Ground Ardennes

Post by Paratrooper »

http://www.talonsoft.com/battleground/b ... ound1.html

I dug out this old Talonsoft game and played it. It has a Squad Leader like phases for each turn, ie Prep Fire, Movement, Defensive Fire, Offensive Fire, Assault Phase, and Mechanized Movement Phase. Everytime a unit fires (friendly or foe) a little screen pops up and shows old B&W newsreel footage of WW2 soldiers firing rifles, mortars, AT guns, etc. After each unit fires it another little pop-up screen shows whether the target is eliminated, reduced by 1(+) step(s), disrupted, or no effect. Like the Campaign Series, it has a 3d and 2d displays, though the BGA's 3d normal view looks more like the Campaign Series' 3d zoom out view. It doesn't have a campaign game to play (or at least I can't find it), just individual scenarios. The game can be played against the A/I, Head-to-Head or by email. It also has a 'snapshot' capability. (see attachment)

Its a little difficult to view and the rigid phase/turn system is unconfortable to play after playing any of the Campaign Series games or a game like Steel Panthers or Panzer General. But true boardgaming grognards should enjoy it, if not love it outright! :)

I wonder if anyone else has played or still plays this game?
ImageOi maamme, Suomi, synnyinmaa!
Paratrooper

Post by Paratrooper »

Here's the 'snapshot'. I had to crop it as it was way to large to upload. This is the 3d normal view.

Attachments
snapshot.jpg
snapshot.jpg (57.81 KiB) Viewed 379 times
Wallenstein

Post by Wallenstein »

I bought it back in ´97 or ´98. It is pretty good, but the later East Front and West Front games are far more improved and offer better gameplay. And they have campaigns included!
Considering the fact that wargames were and are hard to find where I live, Battleground Ardennes was a must-have.
melcer

Post by melcer »

I got the game when it came but I never realy liked it. I found the ACW/Napoleoinic battleground games being much better.
Is patches still awailable for all the battleground games? Meaby I´ll try them out again, specially the napoleonic ones as I´m hooked on EIS at the moment (second place as Spain half through the game).

Melcer
Tbone3336

Post by Tbone3336 »

It was an ok game, you just made me reload it and check it out again. The East/West Front is alittle better I feel and the pop-up footage gets old and slows down the game somewhat so has to be turned off early on. Still beggars can't be choosers.
We aim to please, unless there is a clear headshot.
AlBW

Post by AlBW »

Patches for Battleground Bulge and all the other Battleground games are still available at the Talonsoft site. One wonders how much longer they'll be there, so you may want to download them soon.
Al
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

A nice game.

I still see plenty of reference to the games on forums I frequent, so I would say people are still playing them.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
melcer

Post by melcer »

Originally posted by AlBW
Patches for Battleground Bulge and all the other Battleground games are still available at the Talonsoft site. One wonders how much longer they'll be there, so you may want to download them soon.

OK, thanks. I´ll check it out when I get home. I think I have some 100GB left for the patches... It´s hard to fill todays hard drives unless you fill them with movies etc. :)

Hmm, after all SPWAW PBEM meaby I should try out the Battleground games over the net... If I only had more time! :p

Melcer
nelmsm1

Post by nelmsm1 »

One thing to remember about the BG patches on the Talonsoft site is that they will no longer work with the Tiller 32-bit upgrades. To use the Tiller 32-bit upgrades then download the patches from this site:
http://www.geocities.com/angienelms1/in ... 8170847310
The Battleground games are still played with ladders at the Blitz and I belong to a couple of PBEM clubs also that include some roleplaying. If you're interested in them send me an e-mai. The HPS games are starting to take some of the game play that they had but there are still plenty of players for them out there.
Dazooz2

Post by Dazooz2 »

I also recently installed this game again just to see how it played compared to "today's games". It was a fun diversion for a couple of scenarios, but I agree the pop ups get tired after the first few times...

However, the game play is strong. I still love the unit pictures on the interface.

Sad to say though, after a short jaunt back in time, I un-installed it again and came back to "today".

It's kind of sad how a game that was so great in the past will remind you breifly of its greatness but you quickly realize most games made today are just so much better.
AlBW

Post by AlBW »

Originally posted by nelmsm
One thing to remember about the BG patches on the Talonsoft site is that they will no longer work with the Tiller 32-bit upgrades. To use the Tiller 32-bit upgrades then download the patches from this site:
http://www.geocities.com/angienelms1/in ... 8170847310
The Battleground games are still played with ladders at the Blitz and I belong to a couple of PBEM clubs also that include some roleplaying. If you're interested in them send me an e-mai. The HPS games are starting to take some of the game play that they had but there are still plenty of players for them out there.

That's right about the 32-bit upgrades.

A little OT, the first place I checked was The Blitz but didn't see where Battleground Ardennes was on any of the ladders. Maybe I missed it.

Also, The Blitz is not just Talonsoft and HPS games (although they are a big part). There are also ladders for UV and all variations of SP. Very cool, laid back PBEM club. Just a littel shameless plug.:)
Al
nelmsm1

Post by nelmsm1 »

I was referring to the ACW and NW games having ladders at the Blitz. Guess I wasn't too clear about that was I.
Paratrooper

Post by Paratrooper »

Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

Anyone know of a still active forum for Talonsoft games? The official Talonsoft forums seem rather dead.
Dazooz2

Post by Dazooz2 »

Quite a bit of activity at Warfare HQ.

Warfare HQ

Return to “General Discussion”