help me make my wife like SPWAW !

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Antonius

help me make my wife like SPWAW !

Post by Antonius »

today i convonved my wife to try SPWAW and made her play the tutorial scen with a basic instruction about how to fire weapons, lmoad units, etc......

Much to my surprise, she has asked me for more :) .... and also for easy to win scens.
But I play mostly PBEM games and campaigns and haven't played many scens so I'm at a loss to provide her with a quite short and easy scen. Which one should I make her play next ?
Wargamo, ergo sum
ruxius

Post by ruxius »

Oh Antonius Octavianus : AVE ATQUE VALE ! Do you know you have the best wife I have ever dreamed ? How did you succed in convoying her through SPWAW ?
You are very lucky..let me tell you..
How can I help you ? Give her a platoon of your tanks to lead in one of your PBEM games
against a real human opponent...
She will move them through the battlefield where your platoons are....and she will be held to your destiny...and you will try to protect her..
Always togheter you and her..EVERYWHERE !
That's an happy marriage..
but..
but...

but just prepare yourself to do that old hated thing you always denied to her will.. she deserves it now :D :D
Italian Soldier,German Discipline!
Don

Post by Don »

Good work, Antonius!

If you have the other tutorials from the site below (Bonzo's great site), I would have her play the "Flanking" tutorial with prefernces adjusted so that she can blow up some tanks. I would also suggest the artillery tutorial, where she could pound the Nazi's into paste! That one is fun anyway! :D
Don "Sapper" Llewellyn
Drex

Post by Drex »

Don: How about a tutorial on how to get the wives to like SPWAW? Or maybe Antonius should do that one.
Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"
Tom_Davie

Post by Tom_Davie »

I can't tell you how to get your wife more interested in SP:WAW, but I do have a few tips/pointers for getting girldreind's/wifes interested in computer gaming as a whole. This is using my girlfreind as a model.

1. Make sure thatb she has her own computer capable of running the software that you have (no problem for me as she actually has a better computer).

2. Get her really interested/addicted in one game. Any game. Doesn't matter what the genre is. My GF is addicted to Magic: The Gathering, and can easily play it for about 12 hours on a Saturday. This establishes the type of behaviour you want, if not the specifics.

4. Start discussing the period history with her over dinner and a few bottles of wine (my gf likes beer and scotch....joy!). If she asks questions with interest, she's hooked and it's a matter of time.

5. Bring up the topic of a certain game which models this aspect of your conversation really well. It helps immensely if you can play this cooperatively.

6. In my case, the game happens t0 be Europa Universalis, and I've gotten her to the point where she will play coop with me, in leading a pan Europe defense against post Crusade Muslim expansion.

Careful planning lads, thats all it takes. And never, ever, EVER play against them and win. This is a bad idea, and the consequences could be severe and long lasting.

Tom
Figmo

Post by Figmo »

My suggestion would be "Raider's Ride to work"!! And before she plays it - load it in the editor and change one of the tank commanders to have her name. You can also point out that there are other women in the scenario - She'll have to find them. That might get her interest!!

Good Luck!! :D

Figmo
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f
WanhaPatu

Post by WanhaPatu »

Originally posted by ruxius:
Oh Antonius Octavianus : AVE ATQUE VALE ! Do you know you have the best wife I have ever dreamed ? How did you succed in convoying her through SPWAW ?
My girlfriend tried Steel Panthers 2 and liked it. At first She didn't want to try WaW because She didn't know anything about WWII tanks but when She saw how much fun we had playing it with my friend (TCP/IP) She wanted to give it a try.

And now we very often play 1 vs 2 games with Her and my friend. And we do have great time! Now we are just waiting for 5.0 to be released as there are a LOT of bugs in 4.5.

[ April 23, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmo Paananen ]
Antonius

Post by Antonius »

Ruxius: yes, she is the best wife in the world and I'm the happy one who married her !

She is not ready yet for PBEM as she wouldn't like beating some human - she even felt guilty when finishing off AI crews in the tutorial !

Don: those other tutorials are a good idea; I will reedit the flanking one to add some more Russian tanks instead of adusting the preferences (which IMHO gives a distorted pêrception of what will happen in other scens)

Tom: my wife already been through all that, that's how I could make her play the game :-)

Figmo: I'll never give her name to a tank commander, she just might be too upset if she gets too emotionnally involved and then killed - remember she is a WOMAN

Drex: you may be right, I should design customs scens to make wives like the game.
For now I want her to win and not have to go into technical data. A platoon of Tigers against 2 dozens of T34-41 might be a good one to start with.

Nonone has a suggestion among the scens provided with the game ? One won pretty easily ?
Wargamo, ergo sum
Grumble

Post by Grumble »

You know,
This could be a tactical deception op, to blackmail you into wtching hours of "Chik Flix". "Well, I tried that game you always play.."
If you get dragged off to "Bridget Jones", or she comes home with armloads of Meg Ryan/Nora Dunn DVDs don't say you weren't warned... :)
"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel
Gallo Rojo

Post by Gallo Rojo »

Originally posted by Antonius:
today i convonved my wife to try SPWAW and made her play the tutorial scen with a basic instruction about how to fire weapons, lmoad units, etc......

Much to my surprise, she has asked me for more :) .... and also for easy to win scens.
But I play mostly PBEM games and campaigns and haven't played many scens so I'm at a loss to provide her with a quite short and easy scen. Which one should I make her play next ?
The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end
Gallo Rojo

Post by Gallo Rojo »

Why don’t you try to play hot-seat game with her?
halstein

Post by halstein »

So now we will have a new cause for divorce. Beating once's spouce in SPWaW.
Halstein
Don

Post by Don »

Don: those other tutorials are a good idea; I will reedit the flanking one to add some more Russian tanks instead of adusting the preferences (which IMHO gives a distorted pêrception of what will happen in other scens)
That's great - anyway you do it that has her playing is fine - but I'd be careful! If she plays the tutorials and learns tactics AND how to use arty it could be bad for you! LOL
Don "Sapper" Llewellyn
Mikimoto

Post by Mikimoto »

NO, NO, NO!!!

My wife hates SpWaW and my Computer (dear one) and I am proud of it. If she loves a computer game, she lefts me without my comp.
When I was playing SP1 like a possesed man, some years ago, She loved DungeonHack (RPG) and she played two or three days a week. Damned thing!!!
When SHE plays I can't play. It is best she is apart from my hobby, because we have only one computer at home. And version 5.0 and Megacampaign will arrive soon...
and I want to play a lot!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio
Don Doom

Post by Don Doom »

Sounds like a good reason to buy her, her own pc. Plus that way you can network them together and play head to head. :D :cool:
Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining
Mikimoto

Post by Mikimoto »

Originally posted by Don Doom:
Sounds like a good reason to buy her, her own pc. Plus that way you can network them together and play head to head. :D :cool:
Hello, Doom.
I agree with you. That's the solution. And another for my two daughters. They have not enough with the Nintendo and Gameboys. My ruin!!! ;) :D
Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio
El Che

Post by El Che »

Are you crazy?

You’re teaching SPWAW your wife?

You must stop to do it immediately!

Look, for your and our own good I must tell you something that you probably don’t know:

Women are much more intelligent than we are –And that we ever been or will.

If we men have had the advantage until know, it was only because human civilization was based on muscles since ancient times, and on engine power since industrial age.

But now a days that we’re moving into a informational society all that is solid (muscles and engines) melts into the air. And only intelligence rests.

Do you understand what this imply?
Our little advantage is vanishing!

So, if you teach a woman how to play SPWAW, in a very short time she will be playing much better than you.

But this won’t stops there!

No!

You probably have noticed know that women talk a lot each others.
That means that in a very short period of time we’ll have a legion of women-spwaw-players that will defect all of us on PBM and on-line-games.

And not only that!

They will start to participate on this Forum!
And to impose their wills!

Do you know what will be the first think that they are going to ask?
a SPWAW for Mac!
So you can forget about new SPWAW versions, or the new “world at world, tactical WW2 warfare”, because all Matrix’s programmers will be working on this new project.

But they won’t stop there. No! Women never stops! (you all now that!)

New terrain features:
1. Flower stonemasons
2. Different colors for wood builds

Re design units icons (“this stupid olive green that’s every where doesn’t match with anything! Let’s paint all T-34 on lilac! All Sherman on fluo tones! And all German tanks on orange with turquoise spots&#8221 ;)

And so on...

Well, I hope that this have helped to all of you understand the potential dangers of teach things to your wives.

Remember: we live in a macho society and we have to defend it at any cost... ;)

:eek: Women are much more intelligent than we are
Hasta la victoria siempre!
Gallo Rojo

Post by Gallo Rojo »

Originally posted by Kimmo Paananen:
My girlfriend tried Steel Panthers 2 and liked it. At first She didn't want to try WaW because She didn't know anything about WWII tanks
[ April 23, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmo Paananen ]
Does this means that your wife knows a lot about modern tanks??!!

:eek:
Mikimoto

Post by Mikimoto »

Palabra de Dios.... esto, muy bien dicho Che!!!

English translation: Gods words. Well said Che!!!

Saludos. ;)
Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio
Gallo Rojo

Post by Gallo Rojo »

Originally posted by El Che:

all that is solid (muscles and engines) melts into the air.
[/b]
Che:
This saying is a quote from “Communist Manifesto”, isn’t it?

:p

Che Bolú: dónde estás?? no estás en baires seguro ... no contestás mails, pensé que te agarraba logeado acá y que te podía agarrar con el icq, pero ni ahí... te podés poner en contacto con migo, querido, que te tengo una noticia que te va a sentar de traste!
Buhé! te digo: se casa Nadra!

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”