[WAD]Land facilities impossible to destroy.

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Demetrious

[WAD]Land facilities impossible to destroy.

Post by Demetrious »

I believe I have found a bug relating to land facilities (so far, it seems to be present with every airfield-related object I've looked at.) Namely, they are impossible to destroy. You can drop twenty bunker-busting bombs on a runway (or runway access point, or taxiway, etc.,) and the damage will simply go to "99.9%." Even when checked directly after switching to the relevant side. Trying to manually set the damage to 100% in the editor will yield the exact same result.

When you click the "Damage control" tab, you will see a "Command Post" and "Cargo" listed as components - even for things that ought be lacking such, like runways. If you're in the editor, and you set either of those superfluous components to "destroyed," their names vanish from the Name column, but they still show up as "destroyed" under the Status column.

This bug seems remarkably consistent; I first encountered it when replaying Operation Brass Drum (after updating the database, of course,) but loading up the original file (I never save over the original,) I found the exact same issue. Starting a brand-new scenario with a single B-52 bombing a single runway duplicated the exact same behavior (DB3000, build 441, to be precise.) Thus the bug manifests with both scenarios I've created, and with those I've installed from third parties. I've uploaded said test scenario (with a .txt extension, be sure to change it back to .scen!) for your perusal, just in case the issue's unique to my installation somehow.
Attachments
RunwayBombingTest.txt
(5.87 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
wild_Willie2

RE: Land facilities impossible to destroy.

Post by wild_Willie2 »

Not a bug, it's rather a well known feature. Runways can be rendered inoperable for some time (99.9% damage), but will slowly be repaired again as this is apparently quite simple to do. Only nuclear weapons can totally destroy runways.

Nothing new here, there have already been about thirty discussion threads about this already.

On a personal note, don't bother trying to destroy runways as you will need to significantly damage all runways and runway grade taxiways for all air operations to stop. Go for the AC directly instead, these are much easier to destroy.

W.
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
Demetrious

[WAD]RE: Land facilities impossible to destroy.

Post by Demetrious »

Not a bug, it's rather a well known feature. Runways can be rendered inoperable for some time (99.9% damage), but will slowly be repaired again as this is apparently quite simple to do. Only nuclear weapons can totally destroy runways.

No kidding? So repair of runways is now modeled. Excellent! I suppose the issue now is older scenarios with triggers set to go off when a runway is destroyed, which you can no longer do.

EDIT: If I went through Brass Drum and updated the triggers so the scoring works, how would I go about presenting that to the devs? Brass Drum is one of the best "stock" scenarios, it's a beautiful showcase for the game, so it deserves the best!
thewood1

RE: [WAD]RE: Land facilities impossible to destroy.

Post by thewood1 »

I might be mistaken, but I think at a certain point, the runways are considered destroyed. But they can be repaired over time. I thought there was a discussion about a month or so ago.
Demetrious

RE: [WAD]RE: Land facilities impossible to destroy.

Post by Demetrious »

Just testing in the editor shows me that a runway with "90% damage" will not allow lightweight fighters to take off. What confused me is that the game says its "operational - reduced capacity." And that might be technically true, I bet you could still launch a Cessna or something from it.

Thanks for the replies!

Return to “Tech Support”