Northern Inferno vs CMANO

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

LarryP

Northern Inferno vs CMANO

Post by LarryP »

How does the expansion Northern Inferno differ from CMANO other than of course the scenarios?
HalfLifeExpert

RE: Northern Inferno vs CMANO

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

If you only have Northern Inferno, you are limited to the tutorials and the fifteen Scenarios of the Campaign, played ether in a campaign or standalone. That is all that you can do, no scenario editor.

But functionally it is the same as CMANO, same controls and gameplay features etc.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Is the scenario editor only for creating scenarios?
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

ORIGINAL: LarryP

Is the scenario editor only for creating scenarios?

You could also edit existing scenarios if you wish, including official ones.
Gizzmoe

Post by Gizzmoe »

And you can edit platforms as well, like add certain weapons to systems, great for Whaf-If stuff.
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

ORIGINAL: Gizzmoe

And you can edit platforms as well, like add certain weapons to systems, great for Whaf-If stuff.

This is true, but you cannot create new platforms from scratch. But don't worry, there is plenty to work with, and new stuff is usually thrown in with each patch.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

OK. Thanks for the quick info. I see there are pictures in the database of CMANO but not in the expansion. I suppose all the pictures must be added manually?
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

OK. Thanks for the quick info. I see there are pictures in the database of CMANO but not in the expansion. I suppose all the pictures must be added manually?

you are sort of correct, the pictures are an optional download for all the platforms not in Northern Inferno. You get pictures for the units present in the 15 NI scenarios, and they will show up in the full CMANO if you use the same units, but the rest are a free, optional download on the developers website (it is a big download though).

I personally haven't downloaded the pictures, as the windows style UI allows for easy googling of the units images for reference.
Gizzmoe

Post by Gizzmoe »

Did or does NI actually get all the new updates or is it like 1.09 or 1.10?
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

ORIGINAL: Gizzmoe

Did or does NI actually get all the new updates or is it like 1.09 or 1.10?

It does get the same updates as CMANO, basically it is all one program, but blocks the content you don't have.

(If you own CMANO but not Northern Inferno, you cannot play the NI scenarios; if you own NI but not CMANO, you have all the CMANO stuff, but it is blocked)
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I bought NI this weekend but I am still pondering buying the full CMANO package while the 30% off option is there (Easter deal). I am still wondering if the extra money is worth it right now.
Gizzmoe

Post by Gizzmoe »

I bought NI this weekend but I am still pondering buying the full CMANO package while the 30% off option is there (Easter deal). I am still wondering if the extra money is worth it right now.

If you can afford it then buy it, if not wait til Summer Sale on Steam, I got for 36€.
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

Well, all things considered, CMANO is worth the full price, but getting during a sale isn't a bad deal ether. Its up to you. I don't know how much you have played NI, but if you have played it and enjoyed it, I think it may be worth getting CMANO while its on sale.

I was fortunate enough to actually get CMANO as a gift, but I was planning to save up and get it anyway, so that was just a lucky break for me.

LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I have not played it very much yet. I have been watching this forum for a while and reading the Steam forums too. I will buy it from Matrix direct when I do so that I won't have to rely on Steam. Plus I like having the physical version. I have lots of games on Steam, but it is not my preferred way to play games.

I know that CMANO is worth more than the full price for the database alone. It truly is an amazing amount of work. Getting it gifted to you is a heck of a deal! :)
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

Also remember that if you get a physical copy, you can register it to get a free steam code as well, that's what I did. My gift was a physical copy, and I decided to register it to steam, it makes things simpler and more straight forward in terms of downloading/installing and patches. Also 1.10 patch added Steam Workshop support.

It is your choice, but I would personally recommend steam, and you can still take advantage of the sale by registering a matrix copy to steam, at the very least it would be a good thing to do as a backup in case something happens to your physical copy.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I have a lot of games that are installed stand alone and also Steam. Some games get patched faster on Steam, others later. I agree, it's a good way to go. I still don't know if there are enough added bonuses in buying the big package. Seems like for the price difference, there would be more than just the scenario editor.
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

There is.

CMANO is divided into two separate databases. NI uses the Cold War Database or CWDB, consisting of stuff from 1945 till 1979.

The other one is called DB3000 or DB3K, consisting of stuff from 1980 until today and the near future, including some hypothetical units. One that comes to mind is a carrier based version of the F-117 Stealth Fighter ( http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/3743/ )

You can browse the DB3K on this new website that a player has created: http://cmano-db.com/

Having the full game not only gets you access to all of both Databases for the scenario editor, it gives you access to the 40 or so official standalone scenarios, as well as full ability to play any and all of the scenarios made by the community. The Community Scenario pack, available for free on the developer website, at this time consists of well over 250 scenarios. It is a must download! And all of the ones in the pack generally are quality ones that are tested by the community, so expect all of them to be fully functioning and playable. Its almost like free DLC, it is free DLC.

Basically you cant play scenarios made by the community if you only have NI, and you would be really missing out on some great stuff.

NI is great, but it is very, very limited compared to the full CMANO.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Well since you put it that way, I guess I better see if the Easter coupon is still working. [:)]

I see that this forum is always active and that's a huge plus too. That's a good point about the user made scenarios, being free DLC. You can't beat that.
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

Oh yes, CMANO is a case where the community is just as important to the life of the game as the developers. the sheer volume of community scenarios shows off the full potential of this program and combine that with the fact that anyone can contribute (I am working on my first scenario) gives CMANO virtually unlimited replay value.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Cool! Well it's downloading now. The coupon still works today. I sure thank you for all your time and input.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”