Installer doesn't work

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.
jlub

Installer doesn't work

Post by jlub »

The 1.05 beta installer (the only one available from the Matrix download page) does not work. It is missing files. After install, the game won't start because it says "FATAL ERROR: Unable to load C:\Hannibal\rt\bin\jetvm\jvm.dll". In fact the entire jetvm directory is missing.
mercenarius

RE: Installer doesn't work

Post by mercenarius »

Naturally I am very sorry for your trouble. I'm looking into this right now.

Did you install this on top of a brand new installation, or on top of an older version?

Of course it should work properly no matter what, but it might help to narrow things down.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
jlub

Post by jlub »

New install; I am trying to install on my new computer. It's Windows 8.1.

Thanks.
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

You should not need to use the 1.0.5 beta installer and you don't want
to use that in any case.

The final release update installer for 1.0.5 is available through the
downloads on the product page. At least, I was able to download it and
it worked fine for me (I did a clean install with version 1.0 and then
ran the 1.0.5 updater).

Please try to manually download the final release version of the 1.0.5
updater and then update the game using that. Since your installation got
mangled, you may need to install from scratch. I don't know. If you do,
you may want to preserve any saved games you have.

Here is the link. The 1.0.5 updater is at the top of the list:

Hannibal Downloads

If you cannot download the 1.0.5 updater from the product page, please
let me know and I'll find out what you need to do.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
jlub

Post by jlub »

Ok, it looks like I just downloaded from the wrong place. I went to "My products", then clicked on "Registered" under "Downloads" next to Hannibal. The only download available from there was "HannibalRC-UpdateRelease-105beta.exe", which is the one that didn't work. I'm downloading "HannibalRC-UpdateRelease-105.zip" from the main Hannibal download page now, which hopefully will be the right one. I'll post here tomorrow when I find out if it worked.

Thanks for your help!
jlub

Post by jlub »

Nope, this version doesn't work either. Same error, the "rt/bin/jetvm" directory does not exist.

If this is just an update to 1.05, then I need the 1.0 installer, which doesn't appear to be available to download anywhere that I can find.
mercenarius

Post by mercenarius »

Well, the base installer for the game you should have
either on the original CD-ROM or as a download if you
purchased the downloadable version. You can't obtain
that from the product page.

It appears that somehow your installation of the game has
gotten corrupted.

I think that you should try to uninstall your existing game. Then
reinstall using the original installer (when you first purchased
the game). Then use the 1.0.5 updater.

You should preserve any saved games before uninstalling the game. You
can do this by manually copying the files in the Saved Games folder to
a temp folder. The path to your "Saved Games" folder should be something
like C:\Matrix Games\Hannibal Rome and Carthage\User Data\Saved Games

The exact location might be different if you changed the default
installation directory for the game. If you haven't played and
saved any games yet, then this doesn't matter, of course.

Obviously you'll need your serial number and your original installer.

If you need more help please contact support at Matrix Games and
they should be able to assist you with installing/reinstalling.
James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC
jlub

Post by jlub »

So, I apparently don't have my original installer download anymore. I was able to simply copy the entire installed game from my old computer to my new computer, then apply the 1.05 patch, which seems to have worked find.

But it does seem a bit nuts that I can't re-download the original installer (as a registered owner of the game, with a serial number, which I bought through the Matrix website originally). Thanks for reminding me why I usually buy games on Steam.
rajmondas

Post by rajmondas »

Hello,

I've purchased the game, downloaded, then downloaded the update installer from the website as suggested above. Several times. Also tried removing the game and clear installs. But the game won't run. When I 'Play a new game' the screen goes dark for a while, then there is some blinking and after a minute or so I am back at the game menu. At the same time I can read all the help files via the game menu.

My system is able to run Civilization V (I have direct 10) and my card is Intel HD Graphics 4000. Are you able to help me somehow?

Thank you!

r.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: jlub

So, I apparently don't have my original installer download anymore. I was able to simply copy the entire installed game from my old computer to my new computer, then apply the 1.05 patch, which seems to have worked find.

But it does seem a bit nuts that I can't re-download the original installer (as a registered owner of the game, with a serial number, which I bought through the Matrix website originally). Thanks for reminding me why I usually buy games on Steam.

There's no limit to the number of times you may request for new download links.

Just open a tech support ticket or contact support[at]slitherine.co.uk / http://www.matrixgames.com/support/ with your order details (order reference number or/and email address used when placed the order) and they will provide you with new download links.
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: rajmondas

Hello,

I've purchased the game, downloaded, then downloaded the update installer from the website as suggested above. Several times. Also tried removing the game and clear installs. But the game won't run. When I 'Play a new game' the screen goes dark for a while, then there is some blinking and after a minute or so I am back at the game menu. At the same time I can read all the help files via the game menu.

My system is able to run Civilization V (I have direct 10) and my card is Intel HD Graphics 4000. Are you able to help me somehow?

Thank you!

r.

How to get a DxDiag report file:

1. Click on "START" (on Windows 8 press “Windows key” and the “R” key at the same time)
2. Click "run" (skip this step on Windows 8)
3. Type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. Check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. Click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments rather than pasted into the body of the post.

add the exe of the game to your Anti Virus and firewall program, to make sure check the logs of these to see if it was one of them which was to blame.

That usually means a 3rd party program, like an Internet security programs, is interfering with the game or update installation.

run the game from a admin account and use full admin permissions.

please make sure all game pre requisite are installed with the game, even if you think or fully know there are already installed, it will only over write, and it may be that you have a older or newer version of these where as the game in question may need a certain version.

please make sure you are running the latest game version and have up to date drivers installed on you pc,

If you have the original version. So you'll need to update it from the Internet.
Please note that you'll only need the last update, as our updates are comprehensive.
rajmondas

Post by rajmondas »

Hello zakblood and thank you for you response.
I did everything as advised but the exe after being executed results in some blinking of the screen, then it goes black and then reverts to my game menu. Any suggestions?
I am not allowed to post any links to the forum, for unknown reasons, unfortunately.

r.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

as per PM, change dpi down to default

Return to “Tech Support”