Which folder should I place .pbl files in ?

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Bigeard

Which folder should I place .pbl files in ?

Post by Bigeard »

Hi all,

I'm normally a JTCS player, but my regular PBEM opponent has persuaded me to try out TOAW3. He's sent me the Mons1914.pbl file, but I'm not sure which folder it should go in. I've put it in C:\Matrix Games\The Operational Art of War III\Saves but when I select 'Resume a PBEM game' in the opening screen, it's not there to select.

Can't find an exact answer in the manual, so I'd be grateful for any pointers.

Regards
Paul
Regards

Paul Kirkland
Lobster

RE: Which folder should I place .pbl files in ?

Post by Lobster »

Uhm...just off the top of my head I'd say you need to start the game from scratch. A pbl file isn't created until someone starts a PBEM game. So loading a pbl file from someone else may be seen by the program as an attempted cheat so it won't show the file. Don't know for certain but I'd say you need to get the scenario and start from the start instead of trying to play an ongoing game.

On the other hand, if he started the scenario and sent you the resulting file it should show from where ever the pbl files are saved. I'm not sure if it's the Save folder or someplace else. Let me do some digging. Been a bit of time since I did a pbem.

Yeah, should go in the Save folder. Do you guys have the same TOAW3 version?
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Bigeard

Post by Bigeard »

ORIGINAL: Yeah, should go in the Save folder. Do you guys have the same TOAW3 version?

Hi Lobster, thanks for replying. Yes we have the same version of TOAW - we had problems before, and checked that to be certain. The pbl is in the 'Saves' folder, but as I say, it doesn't appear when selecting the Resume PBEM game icon ( the little stamp symbol with an E in it ) at the opening screen. Somewhat frustrating, to say the least.[:)]
Regards

Paul Kirkland
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Bigeard

ORIGINAL: Yeah, should go in the Save folder. Do you guys have the same TOAW3 version?

Hi Lobster, thanks for replying. Yes we have the same version of TOAW - we had problems before, and checked that to be certain. The pbl is in the 'Saves' folder, but as I say, it doesn't appear when selecting the Resume PBEM game icon ( the little stamp symbol with an E in it ) at the opening screen. Somewhat frustrating, to say the least.[:)]
What version are both of you using? Post the .pbl zipped and I'll check if I can at least open or see it when hitting 'resume pbem game'.

Klink, Oberst
[left]My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Bigeard

Post by Bigeard »

Oberst Klink, Lobster: I seem to have it running now. No idea why I had a problem before other than right-clicking on the TOAW desktop icon and selecting 'Run as Administrator' ( a habit of mine ) might have caused a problem with the game initializing. It all seems okay now, but may I pick your brains if I have further problems ? Thanks very much for replying.

Regards
Paul
Regards

Paul Kirkland
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Computers, a love/hate relationship. Who knows why anything happens for sure. [:D]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Bigeard

Post by Bigeard »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Computers, a love/hate relationship. [:D]

Yep...I love them, but they hate me.[;)]
Regards

Paul Kirkland

Return to “TOAW III Support”