Could somebody give me a quick overview of refueling ships?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

ColonelMolerat

Could somebody give me a quick overview of refueling ships?

Post by ColonelMolerat »

I understand that refuelling from port isn't possible yet, but could somebody give me tips/an overview of refuelling from tanker ships?

It's not done automatically, is it? You have to tell the ship that needs refuelling to 'UNREP'.

And that ship needs to be the one to meet the tanker, the tanker can't meet it (so if it runs out of fuel, it's stuck)

Is that correct?

(I'm messing around with a fairly large area search mission, but with smaller-range ships)
michaelm75au

RE: Could somebody give me a quick overview of refueling ships?

Post by michaelm75au »

Click on the ship and select UNREP.
[The ship will try to get fuel and weapons from the supply ship. The info on the ship being supplied will show amount of fuel offloading and items being transferred.]

I have a simple scenario that can show this. Each ship needs resupply. One is assigned a mission, the other group is just moving.
Click on on UNREP for both, and they will head to the resupply ship (who is on a mission too).
They will attach to the resupply ship (you can see this if you make the supply ship the focus - it will show which replenishment points the various ships are connecting to.)
The ships then should return to their original missions.

The resupply ship does not need to be in a support mission. Attach it to the sea denial mission and you can still do the same UNREP commands to the other ships.

I have re-attached scenario after running the ships at full speed so that they also need fuel as that seems to be what you are after.
Attachments
Replenishm..est 433g.zip
(16.21 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Michael
ColonelMolerat

Post by ColonelMolerat »

Thanks!!! I'll give that a shot.

If a ship runs out of fuel before it can UNREP, then is it too late to help it?
taffthomas

Post by taffthomas »

Michael
Thanks very much for that
Proved to me you can RAS ammo
Need to go cap in hand to dervs to put the same in/outs on RN ships<G>( when they have time)
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

ORIGINAL: ColonelMolerat

Thanks!!! I'll give that a shot.

If a ship runs out of fuel before it can UNREP, then is it too late to help it?
Yes, once out of fuel it will be dead in the water.
In theory, you could sail the tanker to the stopped ship.

Updated sample where DDG has no fuel and I have sent the supply ship to it. And it needs to be close to it and a low speed.
Attachments
Replenishm..est 433i.zip
(16.4 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Michael
ColonelMolerat

Post by ColonelMolerat »

Ah! Thanks for your mission, it's helped a lot.

My problem was that in the scenario I'm making, my ships can't receive fuel from a tanker. (I tested the British F236 Montrose [Type 23 Duke] and the A389 Wave Knight). I noticed on your mission, refuelling is listed under 'Properties' in the database.

Do you know if this is the same in real life (these ships can't UNREP), or if it's something that we've got to hope will be fixed one day?

(Edit:

I was wrong here. I *can* refuel these ships. I was just doing it wrong, somehow.)

michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

I tried a mission with a MARS Tide class tanker and a Type 23 Duke class, and the Duke class did replenish.
Michael
ColonelMolerat

Post by ColonelMolerat »

Ah, you're right. I seem to be having difficulty with it - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'll chalk that up to user error and practise some more. Thanks!

I still can't refuel a ship that's died in the water though (except in your scenario). My out-of-fuel Archer won't have 'Heading to refuel point' as its status, even when I click 'UNREP'.

(Edit: With a fair bit of micromanagement, I managed to get a dead-in-the-water Duke to refuel. The Archers still refuse to though. Perhaps it is to do with size? The Civilian Go Fast will also refuel when not completely dry, but won't refuel when totally out.)

(Another edit: After more testing, I can't do it with a larger Hunt-class vessel. However, I can UNREP if it runs out of fuel *on its way to refuel*... Just not order it to refuel if it's already dead)

(One more edit: I'm getting all sorts of weird behaviour. Like a Hunt Class (with some fuel in) that wouldn't go to UNREP if there's only an Etna nearby. But if I put a Mars nearby, then it will UNREP, but will go to the Etna to do it... I really can't make head nor tail of some of this behaviour - I'm not sure how much is the game and how much is my lack of naval knowledge.)

I've attached a scenario so you can see that the out-of-fuel Archer won't UNREP.

(Also, do you know if it's possible to lower the fuel of a ship in the editor? 'Set Fuel Quantity and Airborne Time' is greyed out for ships, so at the moment I'm just running them in circles until they're low!)
Attachments
Replenishm..iMolerat.zip
(7.33 KiB) Downloaded 1 time

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”