Dinner Party

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

warspite1

Dinner Party

Post by warspite1 »

Right guys and gals. Its dinner party time.

If you could invite seven people to a dinner party - who would they be, who would sit next to who and why would you invite them?

Those asked can be any factual person from history (but no religious leaders or their followers are included).

Anyone care to go first?

As a wise man once asked:

War - What is it good for?
Chickenboy

RE: Dinner Party

Post by Chickenboy »

Can any of them be assigned to sit on my lap?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Can any of them be assigned to sit on my lap?
warspite1

No. The plan is 3 each side and two at the ends. You can sit where you like in one of those seats. Whether you can bribe some poor deluded fool to sit on your lap after the other guests have departed is out of scope of this conversation.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Sorry, for ease - the guests all now speak English if they didn't before (e.g. residents of New York) and the conversation topics are up to you.

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Abraham Lincoln
Mark Twain
Winston Churchill
My mother's father (my grandfather)
Earnest Shackleton
Leonardo Davinci
Martin Luther King Jr.

I only know that I'd like Mark Twain and MLK to sit next to each other. [8D] I'd have to sit with my mother's father on my right hand side. Lincoln to my left. Mark Twain and Winston Churchill would have to sit next to each other as well-that would be the 'fun' side of the table.

If not permitted a relative, I'd have Confucius as a backup for this spot. He can sit next to Shackleton and Davinci.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Abraham Lincoln
Mark Twain
Winston Churchill
Earnest Shackleton
Leonardo Davinci
Martin Luther King Jr.

I only know that I'd like Mark Twain and MLK to sit next to each other. [8D] I'd have to sit with my mother's father on my right hand side. Lincoln to my left. Mark Twain and Winston Churchill would have to sit next to each other as well-that would be the 'fun' side of the table.
warspite1

Thank-you. So what is your opening topic of conversation?

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

See my edit.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Abraham Lincoln
Mark Twain
Winston Churchill
Earnest Shackleton
Leonardo Davinci
Martin Luther King Jr.

If not permitted a relative, I'd have Confucius as a backup for this spot. He can sit next to Shackleton and Davinci.
warspite1

Nope - relatives are allowed.

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

The Wolverhampton Wanderers: Leicester World Cup match of 1949?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

Good choice. I would like to hear Lincoln's view on that - I bet he missed not being around for it....

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Honestly, I wouldn't know where to start the conversation, mate. Here-little old me-surrounded by some of the best humanity has to offer over the ages? The gathered wisdom of the ages. Paragons of the humanities, sciences, literature, civil rights and wisdom from the past.

I suppose I would ask them about their thoughts for the future and (assuming they are up to date on the world as we currently know it) mankind in general. I suspect they would be optimistic. [:)]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

warspite1

Good choice. I would like to hear Lincoln's view on that - I bet he missed not being around for it....

I'd bet that Shackleton would find space exploration absolutely fascinating. He's got explorer's blood in his veins. I'd appreciate Confucius and Churchill's banter too. Good stuff that.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Adolf Hitler/Lady Thatcher, Napoleon Bonaparte, Horatio Nelson (down one side)
Winston Churchill, JFK (at either end)
Walt Disney, Me, Henry VIII (down the other side)

Topics of conversation:

- JFK – have to have one US President. Have chosen JFK as much for the celebrity gossip he can spill the beans on as anything else! Who killed Marilyn? Although there is also the question of who does he think killed him and why? What were his plans for Vietnam? What would he have liked to achieve if he had two full terms as President. His views on the Cold War too.

- Henry VIII – What is the truth about his six wives – did he really believe Anne was sleeping with her brother? Was Anne of Cleaves as bad looking as was made out? Did he regret what happened – i.e. the divorces, the executions etc. I would be particularly interested in his reaction to how Elizabeth turned out – did he have any inkling? How does he think splitting the Church turned out - and did he imagine it may cause a problem or two down the line? [:D]

- Horatio Nelson – I would just be in awe of a man seemingly without fear – bravery personified [&o]. I would ask him for a blow by blow account of Trafalgar. I would not mention the state of the Royal Navy today…… [:(]

- Napoleon Bonaparte – I would like to know his thoughts on what he thought he was trying to achieve and where he wanted it all to end. In retrospect did he think dishing out kingdoms to family members and crowning himself Emperor was really the way to go after the revolution? How did he view knifing his Spanish Allies in the back on reflection – and why oh why did he think attacking Russia was sensible and so embarking France on a two-front war?

- Adolf Hitler – One question and one question only: Why - you sick $%^ - WHY!!!? He would then be ordered from the table and made to sit through Schindler’s List. His place would be taken by Lady Thatcher. I would be too intimidated to ask her questions so I would just sit and wait to be spoken to! Would be interesting to see how she reacts to Sir Winston.

- Winston Churchill – Nothing to be said about this colossus. I suspect he would take over the conversation – and no one would care a damn [&o][&o]. Well except perhaps Adolf, but that $%^& doesn't count as he's been banished. I would want to grill him about Force Z though [:-]

- Walt Disney – To take the edge off the heavy weight discussion, my girls would not forgive me if I didn’t invite this genius. Would love to hear all about where he got the inspiration for theme parks and buying up all that land in Florida. Genius. Would love to see his reaction to a Pixar film which would be playing in the background.

Background music to be supplied by: Ludwig van Beethoven playing the 5th, 6th and 9th Symphonies and his 5th Piano Concerto.

Waitresses for the occasion will be:

- Alison Brie
- Christina Hendricks
- Jenna Coleman and
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead

Dress Code - French maid (for the waitresses - not the guests).

Thank-you ladies.

Would love to have invited (if there was more room):

- The Queen - so many stories
- Josef Stalin - same theme as Adolf. One question and then naughty step.
- My Grandads - never knew one and barely knew the other
- George III - You lost the bloody colonies!
- Mary Kelly - who was Jack the Ripper?

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

See, I would focus my table conversation differently. I would assume that these historical figures could be brought up to snuff on current affairs and discoveries since their time.

Now, knowing what they knew then (or thought they knew then), how do they view the human condition since their passing? With that in mind, they could apply their wisdom and insight from their historical perspective to give us a clearer picture what's in store for us.

I suspect many would marvel at mankind's achievements since they passed on. A man on the moon? Terrific! Confucius say "good show what!" Developing atomic bombs and not using them in anger over the last 70 years? Maybe there's hope. Rapidly decreasing levels of extreme poverty around the globe? Well done.

What would our intrepid explorers recommend we do about the stars and colonizing other planets? Knowing how the human condition has changed over the years, what does the future hold for mankind?

I wouldn't have Adolf there for any length of time, as I feel we've already heard his "story" and his twisted little vision. There's little hope for the future in that message. He is rightfully to be both a warning from history and consigned to the dustbin of history. He gets no free meal around my table.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

See, I would focus my table conversation differently. I would assume that these historical figures could be brought up to snuff on current affairs and discoveries since their time.

Now, knowing what they knew then (or thought they knew then), how do they view the human condition since their passing? With that in mind, they could apply their wisdom and insight from their historical perspective to give us a clearer picture what's in store for us.

I suspect many would marvel at mankind's achievements since they passed on. A man on the moon? Terrific! Confucius say "good show what!" Developing atomic bombs and not using them in anger over the last 70 years? Maybe there's hope. Rapidly decreasing levels of extreme poverty around the globe? Well done.

What would our intrepid explorers recommend we do about the stars and colonizing other planets? Knowing how the human condition has changed over the years, what does the future hold for mankind?

I wouldn't have Adolf there for any length of time, as I feel we've already heard his "story" and his twisted little vision. There's little hope for the future in that message. He is rightfully to be both a warning from history and consigned to the dustbin of history. He gets no free meal around my table.
warspite1

I know its a free meal, but its only vegetable soup - laced with a ton of laxative......

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

If you brought me back from the dead for a dinner party and gave me vegetable soup, I'd gladly spend the balance of eternity haunting your ass. [:)]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

If you brought me back from the dead for a dinner party and gave me vegetable soup, I'd gladly spend the balance of eternity haunting your ass. [:)]
warspite1

Eh? No, you muppet - Hitler gets vegetable soup, everyone else gets to eat and drink whatever they want, in whatever quantities they want for as long as they want and all served in the best possible way.....

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Thomas Jackson - "did you ever have issues leading men into combat as a devout christian?"

Harriet Beecher Stowe - "did you anticipate the effect your book would have?"

Janis Joplin - "how bad were those blue pills at Woodstook?" and also "Kris Kristoffersen, really?"

Churchill - "did you ever doubt during WWII?"

Quisling - "what the h**l were you thinking?" and also "why are the doors and pathways in your "palace" so small?"

Princess Diana - "would you still have married Charles, knowing what it would bring?"

Golda Meir - "what do you think about the current situation in the Middle East?"

Me - "sorry for the take-out, but I am a lousy cook"
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: terje439

Thomas Jackson - "did you ever have issues leading men into combat as a devout christian?"

Harriet Beecher Stowe - "did you anticipate the effect your book would have?"

Janis Joplin - "how bad were those blue pills at Woodstook?" and also "Kris Kristoffersen, really?"

Churchill - "did you ever doubt during WWII?"

Quisling - "what the h**l were you thinking?" and also "why are the doors and pathways in your "palace" so small?"

Princess Diana - "would you still have married Charles, knowing what it would bring?"

Me - "sorry for the take-out, but I am a lousy cook"
warspite1

Thanks terje - you have one more guest

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Developing atomic bombs and not using them in anger over the last 70 years? Maybe there's hope. Rapidly decreasing levels of extreme poverty around the globe? Well done.

Justin Bieber and "Lady" Gaga topping the charts, maybe there is not
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

Return to “General Discussion”