Current version

Frank Hunter's Campaigns on the Danube is an operational study of the campaigns along the Danube in 1805 and 1809. Campaigns on the Danube's system focuses on trying to present the player with the same sort of decisions placed on their historical counterparts; how to feed an army and move that army according to a plan, all the while trying to fight a campaign. There is also an option to allow players to play out the battles with miniatures and input the results.
RCHarmon

Current version

Post by RCHarmon »

Gentlemen I have bee playing with the newest version 3.03 and have some questions about supply.

To properly set the stage I want it to be known that I also have and play an older version of the game. In the older version supply is not a problem for me, but with the newer version I am having a lot of problems. First, there is not enough supply. The new engine must be using more supply than usual. Second, it seems to me that supply convoys are much slower.

I have played 1809 Invasion of Bavaria. As the Austrians, my supply dwidles very fast and soon I am unable to launch any attacks and the supply moves so slow that all that I can do is fall back to my base of operations.

As the French, same scenario, I am only centralizing my army so my posture is mostly defensive. I clear all the supply out of Munich as I don't want to lose any to the Austrians. In this defensive posture I am running very low on supply. When I go on the offensive it soon boggs down because lack of supply. If I capture a few towns a corp will be able to press on, but other corps don't attack because of lack of supply.

Has anyone else seen this? Just because of the supply in the new version it is better for me to keep playing the old version. Even though the new version has better gui.

Maybe some of us can become test players for Frank. This might get us updates faster and a better game for everyone else. With the time that it takes to get updates it is really months in the waiting.
Rasputitsa

RE: Current version

Post by Rasputitsa »

It'a a long time since I played the old game, so difficult to compare, but in the AAR that I am posting supply is an issue, but once the supply system gets going, it seems to work OK. I would suggest that the scenarios should start with some supply already enroute, as it always takes some time for the first supply to reach the towns and units when you start a game.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

Could someone please confirm the following issue.

In the newest version, Invasion of Bavaria half of Dovout's corp is unable to move. The stack that is off the road and consists of Hilaire, Gudin, Friant, and the III A artillery.

As the French, they will not move. As the Austrians, they block the way, but you cannot attack them.

RCHarmon

Post by RCHarmon »

About the supply issue in the same scenario, I play both versions and the new version I have supply problems that cause my corps to end up unable to attack and advance anymore.

Old version plays just fine or I should say it plays as designed.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: RCH

Could someone please confirm the following issue.

In the newest version, Invasion of Bavaria half of Dovout's corp is unable to move. The stack that is off the road and consists of Hilaire, Gudin, Friant, and the III A artillery.

As the French, they will not move. As the Austrians, they block the way, but you cannot attack them.

I guess it's a bug, because all action/movement takes place on road and town hexes, these units are not on the correct hexes and don't seem to be able to find a route, even when detached.

PS : This should go in the bug-tech report section.

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: RCH

About the supply issue in the same scenario, I play both versions and the new version I have supply problems that cause my corps to end up unable to attack and advance anymore.

Old version plays just fine or I should say it plays as designed.

I have been playing 'The Charles Variant' and it seems to work OK on computer controlled supply, whilst supply movement is slow, there are many supply units and supply keeps coming.

In the AAR game it took 9 days for the first supply to travel about 130 miles from Ulm to Regensburg, nearly 15 miles a day, which is not so bad for a heavily loaded cart on sometimes wet and muddy roads, crowded with other wagons. It's not much data to go on, but seems OK.

I have only been playing the new version since v3.03 came out last month, as before that the game was displaying the wrong nationality for some unit counters. I haven't tried most of the scenarios yet and some of the problems may be with scenario design.

When v3.04 is issued, any time now, there may be some changes.

Return to “Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809”