Modeling maritime unit interaction (e.g., VBSS)?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

wheecarm

Modeling maritime unit interaction (e.g., VBSS)?

Post by wheecarm »

Any long-term plans to incorporate a deeper modeling of maritime unit interaction? I'm thinking of maritime interdiction operations, like coast guard/naval vessels or helicopters hailing, stopping, and searching vessels (visit, board, search, and seizure) or things like oil platforms? Maybe piracy or anti-piracy situations where vessels could be boarded and captured, too. I suppose this would go along with a deeper re-modeling of the infantry/ground unit simulation.
Dimitris

RE: Modeling maritime unit interaction (e.g., VBSS)?

Post by Dimitris »

Yes, there are plans for such operations.

Switching a unit's side, which is essential for "capture" actions, has been added to the latest internal beta.
kaburke61

Post by kaburke61 »

ORIGINAL: Sunburn

Yes, there are plans for such operations.

Switching a unit's side, which is essential for "capture" actions, has been added to the latest internal beta.

Sweet! Off topic for a sec, 'cause I couldn't find it spelled out in the fix list, did the random number
seed/generation problem with LUA get resolved? I was just starting to dip my toe in the water for scenario
creating, and I'm a big fan of "randomness".
ckfinite

Post by ckfinite »

There's still something wonky with it, but for most purposes it's fine as it is.

You will always need to seed your RNG - unless you happen to have a physical randomness generator, which is really quite overkill for this purpose. Just put in the line

math.seedrandom(os.time())

in an initialization event, and all will be well. You only need to call it once per scene load.

I have noticed issues with math.random producing weirdly repetitive results (but it's not consistent and only happens in events, go figure), but if you run into that writing a linear congruential generator is really very easy.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”