How to get high interdiction values

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: RedLancer, Joel Billings

SigUp

How to get high interdiction values

Post by SigUp »

As the title says, I've got a question as to how to get high interdiction values. I seldomly get above a 1 or 2, even with huge bomber numbers.
marion61

RE: How to get high interdiction values

Post by marion61 »

Try setting up a naval interdiction air directive. Then put it over the area you want to raise your interdiction levels in. If your playing the axis, your air power in Italy can deny the WA's certain areas to invade into, until they get enough air power to counter it, and if your playing the WA's you can easily get high interdiction numbers instead of just using auto naval patrols. There is a downside, and that is that I lost 400 planes this turn doing this, so there is a cost, but if I stop this invasion, it will be another month and a half before I have to worry about another one down here.

Attachments
interdiction.jpg
interdiction.jpg (369.61 KiB) Viewed 20 times
SigUp

Post by SigUp »

Ah thanks. But I am asking about ground attack interdiction. [:)]
KWG

Post by KWG »

"even with huge bomber numbers."

Are those fighter bombers?
"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."
Remmes

Post by Remmes »

Is there a way to manually move those air directive boxes to the desired area?
SigUp

Post by SigUp »

ORIGINAL: KWG

"even with huge bomber numbers."

Are those fighter bombers?
Are fighter bombers particularly good at it, or are they bad for it? 29 of the 322 bombers assigned for ground attack are fighter bombers (Typhoon).
ORIGINAL: Ramses

Is there a way to manually move those air directive boxes to the desired area?
Yep, just select the target hex and the area manually.
Remmes

Post by Remmes »

ORIGINAL: SigUp
Yep, just select the target hex and the area manually.

Thanks for answering, but I think you are referring to hexes. My question is about the white squares. Reason why I am asking is that during my last game, Breakout and pursuit scenario, the white squares where above Normandy while the Germans had retreated to Paris and the Seine. I would like the shift the whole area of operations by shifting the squares.
KWG

Post by KWG »

Yes I believe fighters and fighter-bombers may be better that the heavies for interdiction.
In air doctrine screens is interdiction set at high? How many days a week are missions being flown?

What is the weather like? I always look at weather first, before deciding air strategy for that week.
KWG

Post by KWG »

Ramses,

Click on hex(xxxx) then click on new target hex on map... click confirm, if asked. Box should shift to new target area.

Attachments
hex.jpg
hex.jpg (65.9 KiB) Viewed 20 times
KWG

Post by KWG »

"322 bombers assigned "

is everyone actually flying?
Remmes

Post by Remmes »

Thanks, will try. Slowly getting to grips with the airpower system.
Davekhps

Post by Davekhps »

I'm not seeing very high interdiction rates, either. In fact, rarely above 0 in the WA Italian 43-45 campaign, even with both the Tactical and 15th Air Forces fully dedicated to interdiction alone. What gives?
marion61

Post by marion61 »

Try overlapping the naval interdiction missions. It's very important to gain naval interdiction before an invasion and if your numbers remain low, that means he's probably trying to contest your interdiction, so create more than one mission. Air superiority over the area helps to.
ByTheNumbers

Post by ByTheNumbers »

ORIGINAL: meklore61

Try overlapping the naval interdiction missions. It's very important to gain naval interdiction before an invasion and if your numbers remain low, that means he's probably trying to contest your interdiction, so create more than one mission. Air superiority over the area helps to.

I think they're referring more to interdiction with respect with land interdiction, not naval. I've noticed this too where it can be difficult to get a high interdiction level over a land hex occupied by enemy forces. I figure their flak guns have something to do with it, but I can't really figure out the details in the relationship between the two.
marion61

Post by marion61 »

If your asking about land interdiction, you won't get high numbers in areas with good fighter cover, but it is possible to get higher than 1 or 2. Check the load out on your bombers and you can switch some of your FB's from Fighter to Bomber's to get more strike aircraft. Also overlapping your big bombers and with tactical bombers you should see an increase and increase the intensity of your strikes. Tactical bombers are better at land interdiction imo. The more strikes you get in the target area the greater your interdiction will be. There are other tricks, but I have to save those [;)].
Davekhps

Post by Davekhps »

Yeah, talking about land interdiction. I'll keep messing with it...
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

Both the Tactical AF and Strategic AF/15th USAAF are lousy at ground interdiction. I don't know why (probably plane types) but they seem to have real problems with it. I did not notice it that much during the play testing so I wonder if one of the late changes affected that.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”