DW:U Beta, starting pirates pissed because "competing for same colonies"

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Timotheus

DW:U Beta, starting pirates pissed because "competing for same colonies"

Post by Timotheus »

Yikes!

Never had that before when I started a new game... I mean I just started and the pirates are already pissed at first contact!

They want a crushing "protection" payment which they cancel in a few seconds anyway... because "we are competing for same colonies".

2nd restart tonight and same deal - this is crushing to a newly fledged player and a noob like myself alike [:D]
NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl
DeadlyShoe

RE: DW:U Beta, starting pirates pissed because "competing for same colonies"

Post by DeadlyShoe »

If this is a problem, you can change up the Pirate Proximity in the game settings.
Tcby

Post by Tcby »

I only just updated to the new patch, and experienced the same thing right off the bat.

It's kinda hard to deal with, but I also like that the pirates chose to immediately go into orbit around my planet rather than flying off. That stopped me from canceling the deal. More difficult and more realistic imo...they ARE meant to be trying to stop us from becoming powerful, after all.

It's not good for a new player though.
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

Best opening move is to build a defense base, trust me, the pirates military advantage is not as big as you think.
I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles
Tcby

Post by Tcby »

Why build a defensive base when it is cheaper to put those guns on your spaceport?

Also I take back what I said about these altered pirates...it's a bit less fun when they keep cancelling the deal to attack me! I'm 3 years in and the protection is at 3484 credits per month.

On the plus side they will all be dead soon :)
Tehlongone

Post by Tehlongone »

That sounds expensive.. You sure 41808 worth of yearly maintenance won't finance a low-tech fleet capable of holding your home system?

I'm a bit of a cheapskate and often prefer for them to just destroy my station rather than pay. Usually works fine.. :)
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

Because you can set up a defense base much quicker than a spaceport. The big danger from pirates is that they wipe out your spaceport under construction then camp your planet.
I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

A quick protection deal or two should safeguard the spaceport build. Bribe them when they arrive, cancel when they leave. Bribe them again if they arrive again (or cancel the deal) before the spaceport is complete.
Tcby

Post by Tcby »

Tehlongone: I only accepted the deal, I didn't pay them for the year. The fact that it was so high by the third year shows that the protection deal was canceled many times previously [:)]. Shortly after accepting the deal I blew them up.

Re: speed. Building something before the spaceport means slower research. In the scenario where I'm looking to shoot pirates from the outset, I'm happy to pay for initial protection, then cancel once I have weapons (or they leave). That having been said, I don't normally do this. I generally don't put weapons on anything until I have something better than pulse blasters, seeker missiles etc.
BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

ORIGINAL: Nanaki

Because you can set up a defense base much quicker than a spaceport. The big danger from pirates is that they wipe out your spaceport under construction then camp your planet.
Just design your spaceport so that the defensive components are among the first to be built.
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

ORIGINAL: BlueTemplar
Just design your spaceport so that the defensive components are among the first to be built.

Not going to work since fuel is not added until the spaceport is complete.
BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

Ah yes, and you don't have energy collectors yet...

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”