Lower Speed And Range Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

lurchi

Lower Speed And Range Mod

Post by lurchi »

I tested and came to the conclusion, that only modding the starting hyperdrives is not doing the trick, so I present you:

Lower Speed And Range V2

All Hyperdrives are modded so they are slower and have less range. I also enhanced the differences between the drive systems so they are more unique. The goal is to slow the game down, reduce exploration and colonisation speed and generally make the galaxy feel more vast to create longer and more epic gameplay.

----------------------

You're welcome to integrate this mod into other mod packs, just credit me if you release your mod to the public.

Just download the attached LowerSpeedAndRangeV2.zip
Attachments
LowerSpeedAndRangeV2.zip
(202.96 KiB) Downloaded 1382 times
Unforeseen

RE: Slower gamestart

Post by Unforeseen »

Lol i think my game is already going to be slow enough as it is. Max research expense on prewarp settings with colony ship construction at 2O% of original. I'm also considering dropping regular ship construction down to simulate realistic construction speeds but this will make the game a bit hard for the AI to manage...so idk...it'd take months to build one ship.
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

ORIGINAL: lurchi

Hi! [:)]

I've been lurking here for quite some time and thought it's finally time to register. So here I am and here you go.

The goal of this mod is a slower start of the game due to a slower hyper drive system with less range. The easy way to reduce range would be to reduce fuel, but firing weapons would then empty the fuel cells way too fast. I concentrated on only the starting hyper drives. It may be a bit less effective and elegant, but it gets the job done without evil side effects. As benefit this mod is very simple and easy to integrate into other mod packs. You're welcome to do so, just credit me if you release your mod to the public.

I did the following:
Gerax Drive is now 20% slower, has 30% less range and is 50% more expensive. Improved Gerax is 20% slower, the price doubled. Warp Bubble is 50% faster and has 50% more range to compensate a bit.

The game starts slower, especially at pre warp setting, since the Warp Bubble drive is way longer in use. Gerax doesn't open up the complete galaxy right away without nerfing the pirates too much. Pirates at the beginning of a pre warp setting still are way superior, but they might not find as many relics due to the reduced range.

I created a standalone theme as well as a patch for Haree78's great Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.1 mod. The included readme describes the installation and explains how to easily integrate Slower Gamestart into other mods.

Have fun!

http : //wikisend . com/download/409432/Slower Gamestart V1.zip

Interesting. Have you checked out the energy rebalance mod? tm.asp?m=3616645

I like your changes but wouldn't things speed up super fast again after Gerax?
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

Lol i think my game is already going to be slow enough as it is. Max research expense on prewarp settings with colony ship construction at 2O% of original. I'm also considering dropping regular ship construction down to simulate realistic construction speeds but this will make the game a bit hard for the AI to manage...so idk...it'd take months to build one ship.

You'd be crippling the AI, it'd take ages to build up a freighter fleet. What you do is unbalanced as is, especially if there are ancient ships to be found. With low numbers of regular ships some of those relics could steamroll the whole galaxy.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

Interesting. Have you checked out the energy rebalance mod? *link removed tue to forum limitations*

I like your changes but wouldn't things speed up super fast again after Gerax?

I know it exists but have not tried it yet. For now I want to only make small changes.

Yes, the game will speed up later - but it will take way longer to reach this point. I think it's ok to have fast drives with long range in midgame. Warfare would be tiring without them, trade would trickle...

Starting with fast drives right away is what bothered me. This mod should seriously slow you down, probably until you met an alien race or two.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

I tested and came to the conclusion, that only modding the starting hyperdrives is not doing the trick. I redid the mod from the get-go, now all hyperdrives are slower and have less range so give it a try. It feels like a brand new way bigger universe.
DeadlyShoe

Post by DeadlyShoe »

Cool, but the link isn't clickable. You could attach it to a post fyi.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

Yeah, I know it's not clickable. I still can't post links. Well, just a few more days...

Just copy the link into the address bar of your browser. [;)]
Fishers of Men

Post by Fishers of Men »

I always believed this idea was the right way to go for game immersion. This makes the galaxy more immense and requires more strategy to plan an operation of great distances. Thanks for your work and I hope you continue to develop this.
Old............but very fast
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

Well, it's hopefully well balanced, so I guess there's not much left to do here. Maybe some rebalancing if something weird happens. Anyway, it sure won't fall into oblivion.

I already created some new hyper drive tech, fuel cells and some other stuff. The thing is that most of it hasn't anything to do with slowing down the speed, so I decided to do the job properly and started another mod that expands the complete research tree, the Research Extended mod. That one is still in early development, though.
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

whooooo this is the perfect mod for me! Thanks:)
Rhikore

Post by Rhikore »

Wow, I had just been recently thinking about doing this...
From Bubble to Gerax, in the vanilla incarnation, feels like youre going from bicycles to ludicrous speed.
Little immersion breaking.

Currently working on Races for an original mod, yet was also wanting to mod Hyperdrive/Fuel Efficiency, and Weapon Balance.

Tcby

Post by Tcby »

Hi lurchi,

Could you please explain how you changed each of the drive techs? I assume your original changes to the gerax line are basically the same. What did you do with the later techs?

Thanks [:)]
ParagonExile

Post by ParagonExile »

Also, did you change the Dhayut drive at all?
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

ORIGINAL: Tcby
Could you please explain how you changed each of the drive techs? I assume your original changes to the gerax line are basically the same. What did you do with the later techs?

With the later drives I did just about the same as with gerax, everything is slower and has less range. Additionally speed, efficiency and jumptime are more diverse.
The price tag change and warp bubble upgrade is gone now, since there's no need to slow down development anymore.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

ORIGINAL: ParagonExile

Also, did you change the Dhayut drive at all?

Yeah, all hyper drives are modded.
EXar86

Post by EXar86 »

Hello Lurchi, the download link is wrong can you re-upload it plz?

Just register for your mods and want to say great job so far and good luck for the "Research reloaded" mod!

(Sorry for my bad English)
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

Thanks. [:)]

I reupped the mod, see the attachment in the op post.
EXar86

Post by EXar86 »

Quick response thx you !

Now i can begin a new game [:)]
Tnarg

Post by Tnarg »

Cool, this is just what I wanted. I downloaded it and the two .txt files that you modified are from 1.9.5.0. Is that going to effect anything if I'm using the latest patch 1.9.5.5? Were there any changes to the components and research .txt since then? Can't wait to try this. Thanks!

Return to “Design and Modding”