Game crash - Question for Elliot

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Osito

Game crash - Question for Elliot

Post by Osito »

I have a save game which is consistently crashing. Unfortunately, this game is running a theme which I modded myself. The theme involves fairly basic changes to research.txt, and the game doesn't appear to be doing anything related to these changes at the time of the crash - it's not about to complete research of any of the techs I changed for example. There's no error message to the crash, just an option either to: (1) close the game; or (2) to go online and look for a solution, and close the game.

I don't think the problem is with the theme (but that's easy for me to say), and I wouldn't expect Matrix to spend time debugging it for me.

So my question is this: if I were to upload the save game with the theme would it be straightforward for you to determine whether this is a bug caused by the theme or a bug caused by the game? Obviously, if it were the theme, I wouldn't expect you to help me with it. If it would be straightforward to determine whether the theme is responsible, then it may be worthwhile for me to upload the save.

Osito

UPDATE: I have tried loading an earlier version of this game, starting in 2163, and it still goes to the same type of crash as I described above, and in the same month, June 2167. It is very weird that a game starting in 2163 will inevitably crash in a particular month four years later. Everything except research was being played on auto.
Osito
ehsumrell1

RE: Game crash - Question for Elliot

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Osito

I have a save game which is consistently crashing. Unfortunately, this game is running a theme which I modded myself. The theme involves fairly basic changes to research.txt, and the game doesn't appear to be doing anything related to these changes at the time of the crash - it's not about to complete research of any of the techs I changed for example. There's no error message to the crash, just an option either to: (1) close the game; or (2) to go online and look for a solution, and close the game.

I don't think the problem is with the theme (but that's easy for me to say), and I wouldn't expect Matrix to spend time debugging it for me.

So my question is this: if I were to upload the save game with the theme would it be straightforward for you to determine whether this is a bug caused by the theme or a bug caused by the game? Obviously, if it were the theme, I wouldn't expect you to help me with it. If it would be straightforward to determine whether the theme is responsible, then it may be worthwhile for me to upload the save.

Osito

UPDATE: I have tried loading an earlier version of this game, starting in 2163, and it still goes to the same type of crash as I described above, and in the same month, June 2167. It is very weird that a game starting in 2163 will inevitably crash in a particular month four years later. Everything except research was being played on auto.
Hello Osito;
Yes, a savegame is always the best way for Elliot to solve a bug. Since your savegame contains theme modifications that only you have, it obviously would be to his benefit to have a copy of your theme so he can cross-check all possibilities. A copy of your DXDiag file also would help! Thanks!
[:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Osito

Post by Osito »

Thanks for the reply. But will he be quickly able to understand whether it's a 'theme' problem or a 'core game' problem? Obviously, if the problem is the latter, then he'll want to know about it, but I doubt he'll be interested in debugging my (or anyone else's) theme. Otherwise, he'll have no time left to get on with the important things in life - like making DW2! :-)
Osito
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Osito

Thanks for the reply. But will he be quickly able to understand whether it's a 'theme' problem or a 'core game' problem? Obviously, if the problem is the latter, then he'll want to know about it, but I doubt he'll be interested in debugging my (or anyone else's) theme. Otherwise, he'll have no time left to get on with the important things in life - like making DW2! :-)
I understand your concern Osito. When in beta test, myself, Darkspire and others created and provided themes to integrate with DW Universe so there would be 'road maps' for us to test how themes interrelate with the vanilla game. As the creator, trust that Elliot can look at his game and at least determine if
a problem lies with his vanilla game or a added theme. Now as far as "quickly" goes, only he knows his
daily schedule. But the sooner you upload everything, the faster a solution to your problem may come. Whether it's a core game problem, or a theme problem.
[:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Osito

Post by Osito »

Ok, thanks Ehsumrell1, I am about to upload the save and its corresponding theme, which is stored in the folder "Test Folder". The theme just contains the resources file with some relatively minor changes to the high tech tree, centred around the colonisation techs.

The game starts in May. Just run it on on auto at x4 and the game should crash some time in June. The exact date varies, but it has happened more than once on 6 June. Note the crash happened in 1.9.5.0, 1.9.5.1 beta and 1.9.5.1.

Please let me know if this is a game problem or a theme problem. If it's a theme problem, I'm happy to try to sort it out for myself.

Thanks,

Osito
Osito
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Hi Osito

All you probably need to post is the DW_CrashDump.txt file from the following location (change YOURUSERNAME and the version as appropriate):
C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds\1.9.5.0

Thanks
Elliot
Osito

Post by Osito »

Thanks Elliot.

Here's the crashdump:

Distant Worlds - Crash Dump - 1.9.5.1

12:25:59 31 May 2014

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.CheckSystemLinkedToCapital(Habitat systemStar, Habitat capitalSystemStar, HabitatList& unlinkedSystemStars)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.CheckSystemLinkedToCapital(Habitat systemStar, Habitat capitalSystemStar, HabitatList& unlinkedSystemStars)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.EvaluateSystemLinks()
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.DoTasks()
at DistantWorlds.Main.noKhypmXoaiMnHGPF9A(Object )
at DistantWorlds.Main.Cc1isZQBKC(Object )

--- COMPLETE ---
Osito
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Thanks for that Osito

Have you used the game editor to modify this galaxy, e.g. adding/removing systems?

Thanks
Elliot
Osito

Post by Osito »

I'm pretty sure I haven't done that in this game. The purpose of the game was to test out some changes I'd made to the research tree, so I started up a custom game and let it run on auto most of the time at x4, just taking manual control of the technology from time to time. The only use I made of the editor was to check what techs the other races were researching, but I didn't make any changes to the techs or anything else.

I've just rerun the game to make sure I uploaded the correct crash dump, but it's giving me the same thing (with a different time, of course) - see below.

Osito

Distant Worlds - Crash Dump - 1.9.5.1

13:30:33 31 May 2014

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.EvaluateSystemLinks()
at DistantWorlds.Types.Empire.DoTasks()
at DistantWorlds.Main.noKhypmXoaiMnHGPF9A(Object )
at DistantWorlds.Main.Cc1isZQBKC(Object )

--- COMPLETE ---
Osito
Osito

Post by Osito »

My recent post about the planet editor here:

tm.asp?m=3625234

got me wondering whether there's an issue with super red giants, so I went back and looked at the save game (which I uploaded just before the OP, in case you want to see it).

It may be coincidence, but there's a super red giant called Adiga in the bottom right corner of sector A9 which is not selectable. You can open it in the planet editor, but you can't select it in the bottom left window. Well, I can't anyway ...
Osito

Return to “Tech Support”