Best scenario/campaign to get started with?

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Objekt730

Best scenario/campaign to get started with?

Post by Objekt730 »

Finished all the bootcamps and ready for the main event. Needless to say, the sheer number of choices across West Front/East Front/Rising Sun is a bit daunting. Somewhat randomly, I chose RS: Operation Shoestring to start with. I'm totally enjoying it, but it occurred to me that this forum may be a good place to ask the vets for some recommendations as to the best scenario or campaign to get started with (for a relatively competent beginner).

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
berto

RE: Best scenario/campaign to get started with?

Post by berto »

If you are beginning a campaign, be mindful of the campaign crash bug with a temporary, kludgey workaround described here.

This bug will be fixed in the 2.01 Update, due out shortly.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
lparkh

Post by lparkh »

Be sure to play the human designed campaigns first IMHO ("linked campaigns"). They are almost all fun, but i particularly enjoyed the desert ones... I think i recall one about a German scoutibg group. Lower unit density i think so a good way to get started.
If you want to play scenarios pay attention to designer, if memory serves there was a Doug (Doug Bevard?) who was quite good. Pick smaller to start. you picks ones slowly moving through history (say 1 per a season or year) to get an interesting feel for how things developed. Great game.
rpwood

Post by rpwood »

I really enjoy RS "Reaping the Whirlwind". Played it many times to try different strategies. Wish RS had a lot more LCGs.
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Kampfruppe Pieper from WF, lots if big toys for your core force, managably sized scenarios thruout
TAIL GUNNER

Post by TAIL GUNNER »

for WF, the 10th Panzer in Tunisia LCG is a good one to start with...not too difficult at all.

KG Peiper is another good one, I think the first one I ever completed probably some 15 years ago...although the OOB for both sides sure could use an overhaul!
"If you want peace, prepare for war."

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”