I have a couple of questions.

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
aaatoysandmore

I have a couple of questions.

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Are there 33 scenario's in addition to the 9 tutorial scenario's in addition to the 9 balanced multiplayer scenario's? Also, is it correct that we choose our contingent of troops and units per battle and therefore no two battles may ever be the same. Sort of like random Battle Academy? Also, are there different difficulty settings or just one setting fits all? I'm getting closer to buying this now. These answers are very important.
Barthheart

RE: I have a couple of questions.

Post by Barthheart »

There are the campaign scenarios.

There are 11 tutorial scenarios.

There are 15 stand alone scenarios, 9 of which are specifically for MP.

Some scenarios have you buying units before hand and placing them on the map, but not all scenarios are like that. Some set piece battles.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ahhh so there's not 33 standalone scenario's gotcha. They all add up to 33.....thanks.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Is there any type of scenario builder? Is there even someway to to build a custom scenario on a standard map?

Also, can you play head-to-head?
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Is there any type of scenario builder? Is there even someway to to build a custom scenario on a standard map?

Also, can you play head-to-head?

Yes there is a scenario editor. You can build custom scenarios.

You can play head to head through the Slitherine MP server live over the 'net.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I think it has an editor not sure what all it can do though and since it has MP scenario's I don't know why you couldn't play head to head unless you are talking about hotseat, I don't think that would work with all the opportunity actions. You should be able to play tcp/ip though. As I read there is no PBEM feature, once again it's probably because of the opportunity fire feature.

I'm still waiting on someone to tell me about the difficulty settings if there are any? how many? What levels? I think I read up to hard so far any others?
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

Introductory level gives the player more turns, more units and a die roll bonus.

Normal gives the player more turns and a die roll bonus.

Hard gives the player the shaft.... err... no bonuses and plays just like the board game.
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

I think it has an editor not sure what all it can do though and since it has MP scenario's I don't know why you couldn't play head to head unless you are talking about hotseat, I don't think that would work with all the opportunity actions. You should be able to play tcp/ip though. As I read there is no PBEM feature, once again it's probably because of the opportunity fire feature.

I'm still waiting on someone to tell me about the difficulty settings if there are any? how many? What levels? I think I read up to hard so far any others?

Yeah, my mistake. I meant hotseat.
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Yeah, my mistake. I meant hotseat.

No hotseat. That's what the boardgame is for. [;)]
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

If you set both sides to human when you start a standalone scenario, it basically is hotseat. Though it seems to me like it would be unwieldy with the opfire. Your options are to get real cozy around the keyboard or shout over your friend's shoulder: "No, I meant shoot with THAT guy!" [:'(]

There are three difficulty levels:
Introductory: +1 FP bonus for (most) attacks, 4 campaign squads, extra turns on some scenarios.
Normal: just the die bonus, 3 campaign squads.
Hard: no die bonus, 3 campaign squads.

FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

ahhh so there's not 33 standalone scenario's gotcha. They all add up to 33.....thanks.

There are 33 campaign scenarios, PLUS all the stand alone scenarios PLUS all the tutorial scenarios.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Hard gives the player the shaft.... err... no bonuses and plays just like the board game.

too funny an amazing that hard sounds like the normal difficulty it shoud be, there should be two more levels of difficulty and this could be the greatest ai game in history. I love a good challenging game. I used to play a lot of chess and some things just took forever to figure out. I like that about games just not all this new age micromanagement and building buildings that make this kind of troup and that kind of troup. Or reseach crapola. Just give me my units, let me pick the ones I want to use and see what happen. That's the fun of wargaming to me. [:)]
ioticus

Post by ioticus »

Do the difficulty levels give the AI bonuses are make the AI smarter?
darkmul

Post by darkmul »

No, you get bonus to your die rolls I believe. Less as you select higher grades of difficulty.

I have seen the computer take up positions around a victory hex that it owns and waits for me to take it where it counterattacks and crushes me.

Also I have seen it try to rush my positions and force a melee across a street, if they make it across the street they will crush my meager Germans in melee, but a well placed MG at the end of the street can cut them down, sometimes.

So I find the AI unrelenting in hard mode no benefits to the player when it is going for the victory hexes.
There is more things in the editor, but I have not played with that as yet.

The computer seems to keep the medics and nurses back from the front line and bring the wounded back to heal.
It also captures enemy weapons and uses them.
The computer also will react to flank attacks and protect Victory hexes it thinks are under threat. I haven't seen the computer get confused about victory hexes and move back and forth but the game is new.

thanks Dark Mullisha
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: jglazier

There are 33 campaign scenarios, PLUS all the stand alone scenarios PLUS all the tutorial scenarios.

What's the difference in a campaign scenario and a stand alone scenario? From what I read the campaign scenario's are just linked up stand alone scenarios. So which is it? 33 campaign scenario's plus different stand alone scenarios or just different campaigns using the 9 standalone scenarios to make them up?
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

Campaign scenarios are different than the standalone scenarios.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Like I said, 33 campaign scenarios, and 9 different standalone scenarios, and a number of different tutorial scenarios.

Plenty of scenario goodness. Buy the dang game, will ya? [;)]
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

Campaign scenarios are different than the standalone scenarios.

ahhh that's the answer I was looking for....why didn't you just say that the first time? [:D]

So then the next question is how many "linked" scenario's are there per campaign? 3, 5? what?

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”