Reduced Blizzard

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

abulbulian

Reduced Blizzard

Post by abulbulian »

Going to start up a new Barbarossa game with BWheatley after about a year away from WitE. Not because the game wasn't amazing, just life got in the way. [:(]

We're trying to decide what settings to use and the option of 'Reduced Blizzard' is new to us. I've found some documentation (see below) about it, we're interested to know the effects on play balance. Given Bill is playing Soviets, to which he exceeds, I'm lobbying for all the handicaps I can get. [:'(] Bill can't help it that he role plays a great Stalin ... hehe.

Just curious what the community is doing with this game option? Thanks.

[font="Courier New"]Appendix B (updated Reduced Blizzard effect CV reduction rules)

Combat Value of non-Finnish, non-mountain and non-ski Axis units during Blizzard or Snow weather between December 1941 and April 1942 in the First Winter Zone is reduced to 36% plus 4% for each point scored when checking the following conditions (to a maximum of 100% - 16 points):

Month is:
- January +4
- February, March, April +7
Weather Zone of the battle hex is:
- Europe +3
- Southern Soviet +2
- Central Soviet +1
When the unit is in or next to the battle’s hex and the unit’s hex contains:
- Terrain:
- Heavy Urban +5
- Light Urban +4
- City +3
- Any terrain with a Town +1
- Fort +1 (for each level)
When the unit defends (includes defensive reserves):
- Always +4
- Weather is Snow or month is March, April +5
- Terrain:
- Heavy Urban +5
- Light Urban +4
- City +3
- Any terrain with a Town +1
- Light Woods, Heavy Woods, Rough, Mountain, Swamp terrain without a town +1

[/font]
- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha/Beta Tester WitW and WitE2

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu
carlkay58

RE: Reduced Blizzard

Post by carlkay58 »

It will negate the need for the Axis to continually fall back one or two hexes a turn during the blizzard. The Axis may still have to fall back, but usually only during the December 41 time frame. After that the Axis can stand their ground and even do some limited counterattacks against Soviet units that have gone too far or have been weakened through their attacks.

Some say it may go too far in the Axis favor, but it is much closer to historical results than the standard blizzard.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

I would urge you to play it and strongly believe that changes in the blizzard were needed and the ones made here are correct in principle. More playtesting is needed to determine if further tweaks are necessary. I think Morvael is on the right track here, though. This is just one of the many ways he's doing yeoman work on the game to improve it.

WitE Alpha Tester
abulbulian

Post by abulbulian »

ok thanks for advice, will do. yeah, I remember the release version in which blizzard was too unhistorically harsh on the German units. Of course the experience bug at that time also made it that much tough on Germans to mount any sort of offensive in 42.
- Beta Tester WitE and ATG
- Alpha/Beta Tester WitW and WitE2

"Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack." - Sun Tzu
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: abulbulian

ok thanks for advice, will do. yeah, I remember the release version in which blizzard was too unhistorically harsh on the German units. Of course the experience bug at that time also made it that much tough on Germans to mount any sort of offensive in 42.

Even without the mid blizzard and using the standard .12

December you retreat south of Oka 2 hexes, but north of the Oka I was able to stand my ground with 1 division per hex in the front and regiments in second line.
I was driven back 4 to 6 hexes. I was easly able to counter attack 1 or 2 CV tank and cav units.

January north of Oka I was only driven back 1 to 3 hexes and counter attack allot.
South of Oka I retreated 1 hex per turn.

February north of Oka I held my ground so building a fort line 6 hexes from front is really worth the AP's
South of the Oka I was able to again go blow for blow only losing 1-3 hexes.

Very playable now and German units morale does not completely tank.

So I will be making some MAJOR adjustments to me blizzard tactics,

IF you wish as the German player holding the line north of Oka is 100% possible now if you want to commit the forces.

South of Oka you be retreating but no where nears as bad.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
loki100

Post by loki100 »

I think there is a very real impact. You can divide the front up into 3 portions (relative size will depend on player skill and how well the relative shape of the 2 armies)

On one, December will see a slow limited retreat, Jan will see stalemate and Feb, if the German wants, may even bring counterattacks
On another, December will be a bit scary (wrong sort of troops or too few), January you'll get battered, Feb stalemate
Finally, well you can guess, here the Soviets will be on the offensive in Feb (if they want)

Nowhere is there any need for the old version of falling back 2 hexes per turn (apart from in the 'third' sector). Equally, I think, it now gives a logic to a sort of Typhoon, on the strongest sector that may grab the terrain that will be lost, potentially setting up 1942 in a very dangerous position.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”