Is there any problem running Possum Map with WIR 3.3?

War in Russia is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
Magnno44

Is there any problem running Possum Map with WIR 3.3?

Post by Magnno44 »

Does any body know if there are any implications running Possum's Map with WIR 3.3?

Magnus
Vasquez

Post by Vasquez »

Several friends of me (including myself) claimed that the "supply" problem occures with possum 6.0 and Wir 3.3!
Alex Gilbert

Post by Alex Gilbert »

I just started a 3.3/v6 game. I had not noticed a problem, although I had not been looking for one. Can you give me an idea of what to look for in terms of problems?

Alex
Possum

Post by Possum »

Hello
This is the first time that I have heard of a problem with my map.
What and where exactly is this supply problem, I'd like to know the details please.
"We're having a war, and we want you to come!"
So the pig began to whistle and to pound on a drum.
"We'll give you a gun, and we'll give you a hat!"
And the pig began to whistle when they told the piggies that.
RickyB

Post by RickyB »

Map supply problems are usually caused by one of 2 problems, related to there being different maps for WIR. First, at scenario start, if the .md file for the scenario doesn't match the map being used, then there will be hexes at the wrong supply level, and the rail lines will then slowly convert to the correct supply level. The .md file is set for the map using the scenario editor.

Second, during play, if the players use different maps, the same behaviour will be seen, but the map will not convert as when each player opens it the map will get messed up.

A final possibility is that a custom map has been altered so that the rail lines on the map edges have been moved, which can cut supply to the entire map for a side. The supply sources on the map edges are fixed and very limited. I don't believe this is an issue with any maps that I have seen though.
Rick Bancroft
Semper Fi

Vasquez

Post by Vasquez »

A easy way to check if the map/supply problem occured with 3.3/v6 in your versions (for me and other it did):

Start the "Uranus" szenario and check if the german forces in caucasus (sp?) are completely out of supply/the supply lines are not existant.

If yes then you dont need to start a campaign cause this problem occured from time to time (not at start) in long campaigns at well!
Whole frontlines will be out of supply allthought the rail yards seems ok.
Possum

Post by Possum »

Hello Vasquez
The Custom map that comes with possum v? is only intended to be used with the custom scenario.
If you attempt to play a regular scenario wuith this may you WILL get supply problems, if you plan on playing a regular scenario, then you neeed to either.
1) Create an new .md file for use with that scenario, or
2) Restore the original map.
Note that the supply problems will surface if you also try to play possum v? scenario with the regular map.

If you start "Uranus" with the possum map, then the caucasus will be out of supply, as there have been quite a few rail changes, which will lead the computer to think that all of the railwa lines have been cut.
The supply problem should only occur at the start, as slowly the railway lines will repair.
You'r not confusing loss of supply due to partisans cutting the railway with a loss of supply due to a map bug, are you?

It's just that if it is a map/scenario problem it should be present at the start, and then slowly fix itself.
Where if its not present at the start, and then proceeded to crop up after a few turns, and seems to be random in where it occures, then it's probably those pesky computer controlled partisans.
A way to check for partisans is to turn the map control feature on,
and if you suddenly have hexes miles from the front changing ownership, then it's partisans.

PS RickyB I made sure that when I produced my custom map that I kept the off map connections. I am aware that they are hard coded to particular hexes.
Vasquez

Post by Vasquez »

rgr that with the szenarios... my fault.
but it occured at the 41 campaing too. the supply lines in the north are cutted after riga but the rail road seems ok! Elements of armygroup North are out of supply at the half way to leningrad.
maybe I can send you a savegame?

btw: I loved your v5 very much even if I edited Dietls Mountainkorps away in finland. Should not be there :)

Also I had one time a problem with V5. Shattered/destroyed russian units (divisions as well as air units) didnt come back.
This problem occured only 1 time (played with V5 at least 2 campaigns without problems).

Sorry for my bad english =]
matt.buttsworth

Post by matt.buttsworth »

To me the best combination I have tried so far is Possum 5 and version 3.1. That has given no problems apart from one destroyed Axis HQ that would not regain supply. I love playing Russian in version 5!!! Has anyone tried Possum 6 with Wir 3.1? Does that work without problems?
I do not want to waste my time playing a game with crippling blizzard shattering and/or map supply problems.

Matt
RickyB

Post by RickyB »

Originally posted by Possum
PS RickyB I made sure that when I produced my custom map that I kept the off map connections. I am aware that they are hard coded to particular hexes.

Yes, I haven't had time to play your campaign unfortunately (maybe when the Great Patriotic War ends :p ), but I know your map works fine. I have never seen one that doesn't work, out of 4 or 5 I have seen. But someone posted ages ago about not having supply which turned out to be the rail lines exiting in the wrong places or something.
Rick Bancroft
Semper Fi

Tom1939

Post by Tom1939 »

Hey Rick, what about a hsitoric patriotic war with possum 6 and wir 3.3. Just to give those panzers some real damage this time:) It will only take a year:)
frank1970

Post by frank1970 »

Originally posted by Vasquez

btw: I loved your v5 very much even if I edited Dietls Mountainkorps away in finland. Should not be there :)

I am quite sure Gebirgsjaeger were in Finland, my grandfather fought almost the whole war up there!

The 6th Gebirgsdivision was sent to Finland in parts, the first ones arriving summer 42.
If you like what I said love me,if you dislike what I say ignore me!

"Extra Bavaria non est vita! Et sic est vita non est ita!"

Vasquez

Post by Vasquez »

No question Frank. Dietls Korps were in Finnland but not in the Leningrad/Karelian sector. They were in northern finnland (Petsamo/murmansk area). And this part of the Front is not on the WIR map.
I think Possum has added the russian Divisions which were in northern finnland too to the WIR map but in relation this movement increase the german power (with dietls korps) much more then the russian power which a handfull crappy units :p
Possum

Post by Possum »

Many of the components of the XXXVI Mountain Korps where already present in the original game, starting either in the Finnish Army HQ, or apearing soon as German reinforcements in OKH.
I added in the Nord SS Mtn. Division and the Nord StuG Batallion.
The XXXVI Mountain Korps was added as I thought it only fair that if the Soviets can suck away all the troops in the 7th and 14th Armies guarding Murmansk, then the Germans should be able to do likewize.
Also having these units start on map in Finland seemed a better idea than to just have them show up as reinforcements in Germany.
Plus I felt so guilt in giving the Sovites an extra 6000 tanks in 300 new regiments + 10000 more Artillery, that I felt I had to give the Germans some extra goddies to. :D
Another Plus, The addition of this Korps to finland does several other positive things.
1) It makes Finland harder to take down in the opening turns.
2) It is not possible to create a German Korps in Finland, so the presence of the Korps gives the German player another formation in Finland to play with.

PS The 7th and 14th Armies contained, in June 1941, some of the best units in the Soviet Army. (Well best equipped for artic warfare anyway.)
Either of them is capable of sluggin it out with the XXXVI Mountain Korps on pretty much equal terms.
All the components of these two armies start on map in the original scenario too, so nothing new has been added here.

PPS Matt, possum v6 should work fine with WIR3.1

Return to “War In Russia: The Matrix Edition”