Exit command not carried out?

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

rstyle

Exit command not carried out?

Post by rstyle »

So I've been playing Elsenborn Ridge, what puzzles me is that no matter how hard I try, very rarely my units with exit command would actually exit the map, in most cases, they would move to the location and defend there until the end of the scenario.

The exit point is definitely secured (by reviewing the final situation, no enemy unit nearby), and I always leave enough time for the task, but they just sit near the exit for like 3 hours...

Any ideas? Thanks :)
dazkaz15

RE: Exit command not carried out?

Post by dazkaz15 »

ORIGINAL: rstyle

So I've been playing Elsenborn Ridge, what puzzles me is that no matter how hard I try, very rarely my units with exit command would actually exit the map, in most cases, they would move to the location and defend there until the end of the scenario.

The exit point is definitely secured (by reviewing the final situation, no enemy unit nearby), and I always leave enough time for the task, but they just sit near the exit for like 3 hours...

Any ideas? Thanks :)

Hi rstyle

First thing to do is make sure you are definitely using an exit order, as the icon kind of looks like the construct bridge one that is next to it.
Place this order on top of or very close to the centre of he exit objective. Ensure that no rest is checked to stop them from resting.
If you give the order direct to the HQ unit it will not exit until all its subordinates have done so.
You will have to give the order early enough due to orders delay.
Check the command tab to find out how long the delay is for the unit your are giving the order to find out what the length of this is.

Provide a screen shot if you can as it can be really help in problem solving.

Attachments
exitobj.jpg
exitobj.jpg (252.48 KiB) Viewed 1 time
rstyle

Post by rstyle »

Hi Daz,

Thanks for the reply, been enjoying your Elsenborn Ridge AAR!

Anyway, I've attached a screen shot, the exit command was given to the Bn HQ at 16:17, low arggo no rest, and at the time is 20:06, all its subordinates including the HQ are performing the defend (as shown on the top left of the unit icon), in fact they have been sitting there until the end of the scenario...

Attachments
c1.jpg
c1.jpg (155.5 KiB) Viewed 1 time
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

I don't know what's up there mate?
All your orders look good to me.
You should send a save to Dave at

support@panthergames.com

So he can look into it for you.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Is there an exit objective at that location? Is it active?
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Joe D.

Post by Joe D. »

ORIGINAL: rstyle

So I've been playing Elsenborn Ridge, what puzzles me is that no matter how hard I try, very rarely my units with exit command would actually exit the map ... Any ideas? Thanks :)

I had some exiting issues with my units until I discovered that under the new updates the player must click exactly on the Exit location; apparently the previous version was more forgiving such that clicking anywhere around the location would work.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

No that should not be the case. Do you have save?
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

I can confirm for him that there is definitely an exit objective there, and its end time is set for end of scenario at D4 23:59
Joe D.

Post by Joe D. »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

No that should not be the case. Do you have save?

No, Dave, that was some time ago, and I wasn't concerned after what I did apparently worked.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Rstyle - are they motorised, and do they have fuel? Tanks can take ages to refuel.
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Rstyle - are they motorised, and do they have fuel? Tanks can take ages to refuel.
That's a very good point actually because its about the time of the evening re-supply event.
Can you do a screen shot of the units message log rstyle?
rstyle

Post by rstyle »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes, they are motorised, but every one of them has sufficient fuel (at least 1k). The problem is not they don't move, they would always move to the location but then sit defending forever.

See the attached screen shot with the message log of a tank coy from the battalion, the exit command was given at around 16:20, it has been in place from 19:00ish , did request a resupply at 20:39 (although I checked fuel, it was around 5k), resupply arrived at 22:52, but the whole regiment still wouldn't leave their comrade-in-arms.

Attachments
capture.jpg
capture.jpg (136.22 KiB) Viewed 1 time
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

That log says that the unit is constantly either being bombarded or engaging. I would think that might stop them exiting. I thought you said that they were out of contact with the enemy? Plus I don't see the 'new orders' message for when it received its marching orders to exit. Indeed, from all the info there I might assume it hasn't actually received any orders and is defending as a default. What does the log look like for the parent unit - the one you gave the order to? Can you post that?

I'd certainly like to know the answer. Long ago I posted about this 'problem' and was told, basically, that you had to control the exit location, not be under fire etc. Do you have a save from just before and just after you gave the order? Not sure Dave's around at the moment, but he might look at it.
rstyle

Post by rstyle »

Well, the last engagement was at 18:50, the screen shot's taken at 23:47, I presume it's long enough?

The reason why there's no 'new order' message in the log is because the unit didn't directly receive the order, it was passed down from the battalion HQ. I've attached the HQ's log, it clearly shows a 'new order' and this time it's even quieter, no activity since 17:20.

I have a save, I'll try send it to Dave see if that helps.

Attachments
capture.jpg
capture.jpg (115.33 KiB) Viewed 1 time
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

It's gone to defend for some reason. I'm out of ideas...except...a bug, of course. It surely must be an issue.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

It could be a bug. I will need a save to debug it. In any event I'm still not 100% recovered from my op. I'll look into this once I am recovered.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Didn't know you were having an Op, Dave. Speedy recovery! Hope it was successful.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Thanks to Ivan, one of our beta testers, we managed to track this down. The original code was using the map control to determine whether or not you could exit. If it was contested you could not. Now map control is determined on a 1km grid which is pretty course. In certain circumstances it is possible for an enemy unit outside the perimeter of the exit location to be inside the 1km grid for that loc and thus contest the exit. So I have made some changes that now finds enemy within the perimeter. This is a tad slower but accurate.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
rstyle

Post by rstyle »

Thanks Dave, so this will be in the next patch then.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

yes
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Return to “Command Ops Series”