Ships preferring deep water

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
Sieppo
Posts: 933
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:37 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Ships preferring deep water

Post by Sieppo »

What's with almost every ship type preferring deep water instead of shallower by default? It is a pain in the ass trying to avoid submarines with waypoints every time. The game does not simulate ships hitting the bottom so why would not choose shallower water when subs are around as in everywhere in the Pacific.
> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: Ships preferring deep water

Post by geofflambert »

I've wondered that too. Perhaps it avoids accidental damage from groundings, being driven ashore by squalls etc.. Is such incidental damage more likely in shallow water game-wise?

User avatar
sprior
Posts: 8292
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:38 pm
Location: Portsmouth, UK

RE: Ships preferring deep water

Post by sprior »

Because people in ships generally shy away from land unless it's their destination.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Image
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: Ships preferring deep water

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: sprior

Because people in ships generally shy away from land unless it's their destination.

They also have this strange distaste for torpedoes.

User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: Ships preferring deep water

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

What's with almost every ship type preferring deep water instead of shallower by default? It is a pain in the ass trying to avoid submarines with waypoints every time. The game does not simulate ships hitting the bottom so why would not choose shallower water when subs are around as in everywhere in the Pacific.

You know there's a Coastal routing choice, right?
The Moose
User avatar
Encircled
Posts: 2052
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:50 pm
Location: Northern England

RE: Ships preferring deep water

Post by Encircled »

Isn't that only on the beta patch?

User avatar
sprior
Posts: 8292
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:38 pm
Location: Portsmouth, UK

RE: Ships preferring deep water

Post by sprior »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

ORIGINAL: sprior

Because people in ships generally shy away from land unless it's their destination.

They also have this strange distaste for torpedoes.


True, but navigating close to shores with out of date charts is no fun at all.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Image
User avatar
geofflambert
Posts: 14887
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm
Location: St. Louis

RE: Ships preferring deep water

Post by geofflambert »

CHARTS ?!? I DON'T NEEN NO DAMN CHARTS! I just hit the button for Warp factor 8 and go!

User avatar
Sardaukar
Posts: 9928
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Finland/Israel

RE: Ships preferring deep water

Post by Sardaukar »

You should remember that USN refused to support horrible Buna-Gona battle, because danger of ship grounding. This left relatively green US Div without artillery support (they could not land artillery or heavy equipment).

Navies generally shun away from coral reefs, for good reason.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Image
d0mbo
Posts: 592
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:10 am
Location: Holland

RE: Ships preferring deep water

Post by d0mbo »

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

What's with almost every ship type preferring deep water instead of shallower by default? It is a pain in the ass trying to avoid submarines with waypoints every time. The game does not simulate ships hitting the bottom so why would not choose shallower water when subs are around as in everywhere in the Pacific.


But you are wrong here. I've had a ship hitting a rock and I remember a forum poster losing a CV because its bottom was ripped off due to a sharp rock......

Doesn't happen a lot though, but still ;)

User avatar
Sieppo
Posts: 933
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:37 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

RE: Ships preferring deep water

Post by Sieppo »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

ORIGINAL: sprior

Because people in ships generally shy away from land unless it's their destination.

They also have this strange distaste for torpedoes.

This is my point also.. But maybe they prefer torpedoes over groundings...
> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.
User avatar
Sardaukar
Posts: 9928
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Finland/Israel

RE: Ships preferring deep water

Post by Sardaukar »

My point is that being close to shore in shallow water is no place to be. Unless unavoidable. It's maritime tradition and realistic.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Image
User avatar
Sieppo
Posts: 933
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:37 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

RE: Ships preferring deep water

Post by Sieppo »

ORIGINAL: d0mbo

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

What's with almost every ship type preferring deep water instead of shallower by default? It is a pain in the ass trying to avoid submarines with waypoints every time. The game does not simulate ships hitting the bottom so why would not choose shallower water when subs are around as in everywhere in the Pacific.



But you are wrong here. I've had a ship hitting a rock and I remember a forum poster losing a CV because its bottom was ripped off due to a sharp rock......

Doesn't happen a lot though, but still ;)


Damn, this would explain some mysterious damages i have encountered on my freighters from time to time..
> What is the hardest thing in the universe?
> A diamond?
> No. 500 machine gun men on a mountain.
User avatar
Icedawg
Posts: 1610
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:55 pm
Location: Upstate New York

RE: Ships preferring deep water

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

What's with almost every ship type preferring deep water instead of shallower by default? It is a pain in the ass trying to avoid submarines with waypoints every time. The game does not simulate ships hitting the bottom so why would not choose shallower water when subs are around as in everywhere in the Pacific.

You know there's a Coastal routing choice, right?

One more reason why I can't wait for the official patch.
User avatar
Bullwinkle58
Posts: 11297
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:47 pm

RE: Ships preferring deep water

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Icedawg
ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

What's with almost every ship type preferring deep water instead of shallower by default? It is a pain in the ass trying to avoid submarines with waypoints every time. The game does not simulate ships hitting the bottom so why would not choose shallower water when subs are around as in everywhere in the Pacific.

You know there's a Coastal routing choice, right?

One more reason why I can't wait for the official patch.

You may be waiting forever. The betas are stable as can be. You're missing out on a huge amount of stuff if you eschew them.
The Moose
Cerion
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Europe

RE: Ships preferring deep water

Post by Cerion »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

You may be waiting forever. The betas are stable as can be. You're missing out on a huge amount of stuff if you eschew them.

Exactly, not worth waiting since the betas added many interesting features and, in most cases, are as stable as the official patches. Do not miss them.
User avatar
dcpollay
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:58 am
Location: Upstate New York USA

RE: Ships preferring deep water

Post by dcpollay »

My recollection is that in the game, don't subs have some kind of advantage in shallow water? Ships are less maneuverable, or something like that that makes them more susceptible to torpedo attack in shallows? Can't find it in the Manual, though. Maybe discussed in a post?

I know that subs themselves are at a disadvantage when diving to escape in shallow water (6.7 in the Manual).
"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14509
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor Illlinois

RE: Ships preferring deep water

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Sieppo

What's with almost every ship type preferring deep water instead of shallower by default? It is a pain in the ass trying to avoid submarines with waypoints every time. The game does not simulate ships hitting the bottom so why would not choose shallower water when subs are around as in everywhere in the Pacific.

Ever hear of Battleship Espana? Or HMS Frobisher? Both ripped their bottoms out between the wars. How about USS Guardian? It became a permanent part of the reef in the Phillipines earlier this year. Or the Point Hondo naval disaster? Seven Destroyers played follow the leader up onto the rocks.

Warships don't do good on land. Land had rocks, which do nasty things to steel hulls. Plus ships can't manever , can't go fast and CV's can't launch aircraft, which makes them VERY vulnerable.
[:)]
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14509
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor Illlinois

RE: Ships preferring deep water

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

ORIGINAL: sprior

Because people in ships generally shy away from land unless it's their destination.

They also have this strange distaste for torpedoes.

I'd rather dodge a torpedo doing 30kts in a wide seaway , then face one at 5kts in a restricted channel.
User avatar
AW1Steve
Posts: 14509
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:32 am
Location: Mordor Illlinois

RE: Ships preferring deep water

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: sprior

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

ORIGINAL: sprior

Because people in ships generally shy away from land unless it's their destination.

They also have this strange distaste for torpedoes.


True, but navigating close to shores with out of date charts is no fun at all.


Ask the former commanding officer of USS Guardian. [X(][:(]
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”