OT: The Best Year of Your Life?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Canoerebel

RE: OT: The Best Year of Your Life?

Post by Canoerebel »

Here's more of the story of Emory Best, complete with a surprising personal twist at the end.

During Stonewall Jackson's famous flanking march at Chancellorsville in 1863, he ordered a regiment detached to an exposed point on the right flank of the column. JEB Stuart personally placed the regiment, the 23rd Georgia under the command of Col. Best. Several hours later, the regiment came under assault by Birney's Division with Berdan's U.S. regular sharpshooters in the lead. The Georgians retired to an unfinished railroad cut and it soon became obvious the position would be overrun. Best, who was at the left side of the cut, issued orders for the regiment to retire. He accompanied the left-most company, which made good its escape while under fire. The remainder of the regiment remained in the cut and surrendered.

Charges were brought against Best a month later, after the captured men had been exchanged. The charges included specificaitions of wrongdoing at South Mountain and at Chancellorsville. The court martial convened in Charleston in November 1863, six months after Chancellorsville. Best was acquitted on all counts except the one pertaining to his conduct at the railroad cut. The court determined that it was his duty, as commanding officer, to remain in position to see that his order for the regiment to retire was carried out. By failing to do so, the court concluded, Best has acted "shamefully."

I moved to Rome, Georgia, in 1986 as a young lawyer. I had grown up in Miami and didn't have any ties at all to this area. In 1987, my wife and I took up residence in nearby Floyd Springs. I took a particular interest in Best's case since he had come to Rome as a young lawyer in 1860. He then joined the Floyd Springs Guards as in 1861. Intrigued by his story, I commenced research that would ultimately lead to a magazine article. As part of the research, sometime in the mid 1990s, I tracked down Best's great-nephew, Emory Fred Best, who was then a 76-year-old retired used car dealer in El Cajon, California.

Mr. Best and I had a lengthy and interesting conversation. At the end, he asked me, "Are you by chance any relation to Daniel C. Roper?" (He was Secretary of Commerce under Franklin D. Roosevelt.

"I am," I replied. I explained that Roper was my father's great-uncle (or perhaps great-great-uncle).

Best then told me, "He gave me my first job in Washington, D.C., back in the '30s."

What a eerie coincidence!

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Cribtop;

Sounds like you would have been happier taking a regiment into The Wheatfield or, more aptly, holding the line at the Sunken Lane.

Let me clarify. I didn't mean I wish I had entered the service for "fortune and glory." I think any student of military history knows the ugly truths of combat. However, a military career would have both directly and indirectly involved me in various occupations related to geopolitics, the military (duh) and diplomacy. For whatever odd reason, these topics are my passion (hence my willingness to devote untold hours to a certain wildly complicated war-game [:D]).

I became a lawyer in the hopes of pursuing such a career in government (State Dept, Legislator, etc) as those fields are lousy with lawyers (even moreso than other lawyer-infested careers). However, making the jump from Law to Government was harder than I expected. I've had some success, but it turns out the way to get where I wanted to go, ironically, was to go into the military and either be fortunate enough to make the higher ranks or retire and use the experience elsewhere. I've always been a fish out of water - a lawyer who really wanted to be something else.
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Cribtop;

Sounds like you would have been happier taking a regiment into The Wheatfield or, more aptly, holding the line at the Sunken Lane.

Let me clarify. I didn't mean I wish I had entered the service for "fortune and glory." I think any student of military history knows the ugly truths of combat. However, a military career would have both directly and indirectly involved me in various occupations related to geopolitics, the military (duh) and diplomacy. For whatever odd reason, these topics are my passion (hence my willingness to devote untold hours to a certain wildly complicated war-game [:D]).

I became a lawyer in the hopes of pursuing such a career in government (State Dept, Legislator, etc) as those fields are lousy with lawyers (even moreso than other lawyer-infested careers). However, making the jump from Law to Government was harder than I expected. I've had some success, but it turns out the way to get where I wanted to go, ironically, was to go into the military and either be fortunate enough to make the higher ranks or retire and use the experience elsewhere. I've always been a fish out of water - a lawyer who really wanted to be something else.
Actually, I think you have a very idealistic view of what a military career is like. I found it to be endless hours in the motor pool, dealing with incompetent superiors and law-breaking subordinates, and writing pointless plans, policies, and SOP's. Then for excitement you get to go to the field where you pull tanks out of the mud, break track, get no sleep, and take a shower in the rain because that's the only chance you'll get to see fresh water. Then, of course, you get to respond to absolutely silly requests to supply equipment that you don't have in your TO&E for parades and displays for the civilians, and on THEIR day off you get to march in 100 degree heat to give them a cheap thrill. Then the IG comes and reams you for having two 60 watt bulbs in the stairway instead of three 40's that he says use less energy, and he'll flush each urinal seven times to see if he can get a drop of water out of the valve. Don't want to waste water, he says.

Finally, though, you'll get a few days of actual combat or other "real" situations. They come and go quick. You change your underwear frequently, if you have any.

Then, one day, you get to sit in a job interview trying to explain to some sweet young lady in her 20's why being a trained, hired killer for the government qualifies you for a mid-managment position in her politically liberal company. You change your underwear again.

Yeah, I wouldn't have done anything else, and wouldn't trade my military career for anything, but it's not what the average person thinks it is.
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

Cribtop;

Actually, I think you have a very idealistic view of what a military career is like. I found it to be endless hours in the motor pool, dealing with incompetent superiors and law-breaking subordinates, and writing pointless plans, policies, and SOP's. Then for excitement you get to go to the field where you pull tanks out of the mud, break track, get no sleep, and take a shower in the rain because that's the only chance you'll get to see fresh water. Then, of course, you get to respond to absolutely silly requests to supply equipment that you don't have in your TO&E for parades and displays for the civilians, and on THEIR day off you get to march in 100 degree heat to give them a cheap thrill. Then the IG comes and reams you for having two 60 watt bulbs in the stairway instead of three 40's that he says use less energy, and he'll flush each urinal seven times to see if he can get a drop of water out of the valve. Don't want to waste water, he says.

Finally, though, you'll get a few days of actual combat or other "real" situations. They come and go quick. You change your underwear frequently, if you have any.

Then, one day, you get to sit in a job interview trying to explain to some sweet young lady in her 20's why being a trained, hired killer for the government qualifies you for a mid-managment position in her politically liberal company. You change your underwear again.

Yeah, I wouldn't have done anything else, and wouldn't trade my military career for anything, but it's not what the average person thinks it is.

I saw my dad do much of a 25-year career. The really exciting bits were before I was born. The details in the Navy are different, but it's a lot like what you describe. Shore duty especially. Movies make civilians misunderstand.

And don't get me started on trying to transition to civilian jobs in mid-life.
The Moose
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

Then the IG comes and reams you for having two 60 watt bulbs in the stairway instead of three 40's that he says use less energy, and he'll flush each urinal seven times to see if he can get a drop of water out of the valve. Don't want to waste water, he says.

[:D][:D]

I think my uncle loved his career. Col., Air Force. Especially the PI. They had a maid and a driver. He flew to Hong Kong and Japan and Thailand all the time. I am pretty there were prodigious amounts of alcohol because his cheeks were pretty rosy by the time he retired. He also brought home cool gifts. One time an awesome bamboo fly rod.

He was a physicist so he had to paint radiation reflective paint on goats at the Bravo test. Apparently, it didn't work very well. [:(]

Of course, he had to make it through WWII alive, first. That is something his brother was unable to accomplish. All 3 of his kids went into the military. One son was in the Marines but was killed in a car crash. Daughter was a Air Force nurse and never married. [;)] One was in the Navy and I am pretty sure faked sleep walking to get a medical discharge. [:)]
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I cannot name a single year, but I can undoubtedly put together a year worth of memories made up of:

- Selected summer holidays and Christmas as a small kid with my mum, dad and brothers and sister (that probably adds up to say 2 months).
- Watching Spurs win the FA Cup with my old dad - twice!!
- The remaining 10 months can be gathered from select periods from winter 1998 to date and involve meeting the future Mrs warspite, the birth of my little cruisers Coventry and Penelope and their key moments since - first words, first steps, christenings, communions, confirmations, school plays, dance shows, holidays at Disney and family Christmases.

Family, and especially children - its what life's all about imo [:)]

As a Bayern Munich fan I could say the best day of this year will be to see two German teams playing for the Champions League cup in Wembley. [:D]
mike scholl 1

Post by mike scholl 1 »

A whole year at once? Sounds like too much of a good thing. I prefer the best 2-3 weeks from 25 years to remember.
Phanatikk

Post by Phanatikk »

Stationed at DLI in Monterey, Ca. (First duty after basic in San Diego)
Bright sun, beautiful women, and all of my military brothers and sisters. Still evergreen...
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: castor troy

I cannot name a single year, but I can undoubtedly put together a year worth of memories made up of:

- Selected summer holidays and Christmas as a small kid with my mum, dad and brothers and sister (that probably adds up to say 2 months).
- Watching Spurs win the FA Cup with my old dad - twice!!
- The remaining 10 months can be gathered from select periods from winter 1998 to date and involve meeting the future Mrs warspite, the birth of my little cruisers Coventry and Penelope and their key moments since - first words, first steps, christenings, communions, confirmations, school plays, dance shows, holidays at Disney and family Christmases.

Family, and especially children - its what life's all about imo [:)]

As a Bayern Munich fan I could say the best day of this year will be to see two German teams playing for the Champions League cup in Wembley. [:D]
warspite1

Enjoy it - should be a good match! [:)] Although I will defo be rooting for Dortmund. Can't forgive Munich for losing to Chelsea last year
As a wise man once asked:

War - What is it good for?
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

As an Arsenal fan, I personally loved the draw Chelsea - Spurs today! [;)]
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

September 1997, when I met the second Mrs DivePac. [:)]
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

No Cribtop - as an Arsenal fan you have no right to be posting here [;)]

I don't see why Arsenal fans wanted a draw. A defeat for Spurs meant you were guaranteed CL football with 4 points from your last 2 games. Now, if by some miracle Spurs win their last two games, you have to do the same.

Mind you its probably all pretty academic, the chances of Spurs beating Stoke AND Sunderland are about as high as me winning the next Miss World contest......[:(]
As a wise man once asked:

War - What is it good for?
denisonh

Post by denisonh »

I tend to agree as I never really had a whole year that counted as that good (I will say for the record that being posted to Naval Postgraduate School at Monterey was without question my best assignment in 25 years in the Army. Ahhh, teeing off on Friday morning at 8 am nearly every week and being out of class by 3 pm daily....)

But "best" can be a somewhat vague definition. My year in Afghanistan was by no means good but it was without question interesting and rewarding, and I remember more about that year than any other (the 8 years+ in the Pentagon are a blur...)
ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

A whole year at once? Sounds like too much of a good thing. I prefer the best 2-3 weeks from 25 years to remember.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

In 1983 while playing shortstop for the Baltimore Orioles I hit 318 with 27 home runs and 102 RBI. My fielding percentage that year was .970 and I was named the American League Most Valuable Player. That was a one hell of a year for me. I was getting more girls than Mick Jagger.

Oh wait....that was Cal Ripken Jr. not me. Sorry, never mind..[8|]

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

In 1983 while playing shortstop for the Baltimore Orioles I hit 318 with 27 home runs and 102 RBI. My fielding percentage that year was .970 and I was named the American League Most Valuable Player. That was a one hell of a year for me. I was getting more girls than Mick Jagger.

Oh wait....that was Cal Ripken Jr. not me. Sorry, never mind..[8|]

Some "sophomore slump" that turned out to be, huh?

I attended both of the home games in the World Series that year. [8D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

warspite1

No Cribtop - as an Arsenal fan you have no right to be posting here [;)]

I don't see why Arsenal fans wanted a draw. A defeat for Spurs meant you were guaranteed CL football with 4 points from your last 2 games. Now, if by some miracle Spurs win their last two games, you have to do the same.

Mind you its probably all pretty academic, the chances of Spurs beating Stoke AND Sunderland are about as high as me winning the next Miss World contest......[:(]

It's because we greedily hope to finish 3rd over Chelsea (unlikely I know). We may regret that if we screw up one of our last two fixtures. There is also a minority of Gooners who want to finish 5th in hopes the club is thus forced to loosen the purse strings.
tigercub

Post by tigercub »

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

I can name the best day. It was utterly horrible. Exceedingly painfull.

May 16, 2001. At 0100 on that morning I ran into a rockslide on I-80 in the Sierra Nevada mountains. This started a chain of events that was horrific in the short term. 8 broken ribs, Crushed right hand, dislocated R elbow and many other painfull injuries.

That event led to me and my wife getting together, her three kids calling me dad and two trips to China to pick up two more children that call me dad. It led to the most joyous time of my life.
wonderful
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”