First time playing

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

icullus

First time playing

Post by icullus »

Sorry if this a stupid question but i was just watching the "lets play..." videos on you tube and i noticed there is a setting to turn of the story events from the original game and shakturi. If i install all three at once does that have any effect on the story line or would i still start at the same point as if i were just playing the original?
ehsumrell1

RE: First time playing

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Hello Icullus, and welcome to the DW forums!
When you start a new game, you will still have the option to either turn off, or leave on, either/both
the storyline events and Shakturi invasion. It will be on the last screen before the game starts when
you use the Start New Game menu.
[:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

icullus, I'm new toioi, and I'd suggest you have them turned off until you get a handle on the game. There's so much going on while learning you lose the story in the all the racket. I'm saving up the story stuff for my first big, harder game :)
icullus

Post by icullus »

Thanks guys appiciate the quick responses. That does sound like a good idea to learn first then do story line.
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

I'd actually suggest playing with them on first [:)]

On the easier settings the game is easy enough for even a complete begginer to have a good go, and even roleplay instead of going for the whole number crunching everything must be strategically, tactically and mathematically perfect all the time kind of approach. In fact, that is they way I've always played and I'm still loving it [:D]

You will likely become attatched to your empire, so why not have those story lines up for that extra excitement first time around, you control the pace of the story yourself anyway [8D]
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

I'd actually suggest playing with them on first [:)]

On the easier settings the game is easy enough for even a complete begginer to have a good go, and even roleplay instead of going for the whole number crunching everything must be strategically, tactically and mathematically perfect all the time kind of approach. In fact, that is they way I've always played and I'm still loving it [:D]

You will likely become attatched to your empire, so why not have those story lines up for that extra excitement first time around, you control the pace of the story yourself anyway [8D]

Because you get overwhelmed with messages and can't really absorb story spots early. Woodman - you may have started when there was only one expansion... it does make a difference.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”