Turn lenght

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

morganbj

RE: Turn lenght

Post by morganbj »

After the first gaame week, I'm down to around 25-40 minutes a turn. I don't check everything every turn. I do watch air and ship withdrawals closely though.
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

My turns as the allies can vary. If nothing special is happening I can do it in 20-30 mins. Before a major operation about 1 hour. I´m pretty fast and not too meticulous. Sometimes I pay for that when I forger too stand down airgroups and stuff like that. But atleast the turns keep on going. I think I rather play to turns per day then one...

I can do about three before I get too sloppy even for me.

Yes, the problem is that you can probably do two or three pretty quick turns but after that you will have to take longer and sort stuff out.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Playing as the Japanese I can usually get my moves done in about 5 hours or so but then again I check almost everything every turn so it WOULD take longer. I usually go through the list all TF's list checking the ships so I don't miss anybody and I use the "shift->" key to go to the next TF.
When you're dead you aren't aware of the pain of those around you. The same thing happens when you're stupid.
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

For me Allies vs. Japan 1 to 2.5 hours. I'm a hopeless micro-manager. I check each and every task group and most air units, ground forces, ports and bases.

On the other hand I wonder how I'm doing on time game wise? I started 30 november 2010 and I will be starting my 2 August 1043 turn this evening.
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Playing as the Japanese I can usually get my moves done in about 5 hours or so but then again I check almost everything every turn so it WOULD take longer. I usually go through the list all TF's list checking the ships so I don't miss anybody and I use the "shift->" key to go to the next TF.

We sound like two peas in a pod. I check EVERYTHING as well. A bit OCD I guess.
Commander Stormwolf

Post by Commander Stormwolf »

some people collect pennies off the ground, while their hundred dollar bills are on fire [;)]
"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

Raising my hand.[:'(]
Dan Nichols

Post by Dan Nichols »

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

For me Allies vs. Japan 1 to 2.5 hours. I'm a hopeless micro-manager. I check each and every task group and most air units, ground forces, ports and bases.

On the other hand I wonder how I'm doing on time game wise? I started 30 november 2010 and I will be starting my 2 August 1043 turn this evening.

You only have 902 more years to go. [:D]
I think that the two obligations you have are to be good at what you do and then to pass on your knowledge to a younger person
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

I had better get some refreshments then.[;)]
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

When do my catapults upgrade?
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Most of the time in my PBEM games I average 30 to 40 minutes on the turn file (Allied player).  Occasionally I cut that down to 10 to 15 minutes when I know most everything is set the way I want it and I'm out of time.  Occasionally I'll buckle down and spend more time.

In my 2-day-turn PBEM against Miller a couple of years ago, the game reached the point where Japan was essentially out of assets and the Allies could go wherever they wanted to.  Eventually, I stopped watching the combat replay file and was spending just ten to 15 minutes on a turn (managing some massive amphibious armada covered by 12 zillion carriers that literally didn't have a care in the world, because I was just PRAYING that Japan would attack with what little she had left).
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
adsoul64

Post by adsoul64 »

ORIGINAL: Commander Stormwolf

some people collect pennies off the ground, while their hundred dollar bills are on fire [;)]

I'll do my best to collect big bucks against you [;)]
Commander Stormwolf

Post by Commander Stormwolf »

speaking of catapults [;)]

Rome Total War: Total Realism Mod

top 5 greatest games of all time (along with WITP AE, IL-2 Sturmovik, Counter-Strike, and Aces of the Pacific [8D])

Attachments
pont1b.jpg
pont1b.jpg (99.86 KiB) Viewed 2 times
"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf
dorjun driver

Post by dorjun driver »

Initial conditions are everything. I spend about 12 hours total on the first turn and set turns to "continuous." In the morning I usually have a decisive victory. You'll need a fast machine though.
x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

One of the reasons I play the AI is that I can do 20-minute turns and not watch the combat replay. I do other things on my other computer while the turn is processing. Playing Downfall I wouldn't even read the inevitably huge combat report; just look for anomalies in "ships sunk" and "aircraft losses" and only dig into the combat report when necessary.

I figure with my personality (don't remember my 4 letters from Meyers-Briggs, it's been a while, but I do remember the word "perfectionist" from somewhere), I would bog down to 2-3 or more hours per turn vs. a human, and I don't have that kind of time. Plus, I'd be thinking about the game all day instead of thinking about work. But that's just me.

In terms of time savers, you can fiddle with pilot training once a month or whatever works for you, rather than every day. I also put my subs on auto. I figure the AI needs all the help it can get.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
Galahad78

Post by Galahad78 »

Now I'm cutting my turns to 25-30 minutes, otherwise it is impossible for me to keep the game running. Once in a while, when interesting stuff arrives, or to arrange some convoys, or to plan a bit in depth, I take longer turns, 2 hours or something like that. So far, although I make mistakes (it is my first grand campaign - AI only) the game is being fun and manageable, so I cannot ask for more.
seille

Post by seille »

Between 1,5 and 2,5 hours per turn in early game as axis player. First turn needed 2 weeks preparation. I think 40 hours in total.
zzodr

Post by zzodr »

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

Actually, I think thats pretty good. Roughly matches real time to game time.
I started mine in 18 Sep 2009, (999days) have reached 1st of August 1944 (968days since Dec 7 1941)
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

I do most turns as Allies in 20-30 minutes. About once a week I scour the map and check everything which takes about two hours. Most of the micromanagement stuff doesn't need to be done every turn. I only check Pilot training about twice a game month unless a squadron is approaching "deployment level". My training squadrons only need to be check once a month usually.
"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

I do most turns as Allies in 20-30 minutes. About once a week I scour the map and check everything which takes about two hours. Most of the micromanagement stuff doesn't need to be done every turn. I only check Pilot training about twice a game month unless a squadron is approaching "deployment level". My training squadrons only need to be check once a month usually.
"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”