Is it worth it? (Question about a book)

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Hotschi

Is it worth it? (Question about a book)

Post by Hotschi »

Since about 2 years I am eyeing this book, but - the prize-tag....

US Navy

Is it worth the 157 USD? Does anybody around here actually own it? If so, does this volume also contain technical info as well as build, launch or commissioning data?
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
JocMeister

RE: Is it worth it? (Question about a book)

Post by JocMeister »

Oooh! Shiny! Me want!
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Looks fantastic, but I know nothing else about it.
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
sdhundt

Post by sdhundt »

Wow, looks like a great book..I too have never heard of the book and $157 is way high for any book I have paid for but I might just get one for myself.
sdhundt

Post by sdhundt »

It's sells for $142 at the Barns&Nobel web sight...I'm going to look around for some other prices..
LST Express

Post by LST Express »

Haven't checked but you might can find a used one at amazon.
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

No, nowhere near worth the price. Has about 20% more data than the original books, which are one hell of a lot less expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Warships-Worl ... B0007EGTEA
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

Thanks for the input, gentlemen. Some 25 years ago or so, I used to possess a book by Paul H. Silverstone about the US Navy, it was published by Ian Allen & Co Ltd, listing all vessels of the USN - this book disappeared somehow from my inventory. The 20 percent more data mentioned keeps me itching... Maybe next month... [:D]
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Don -

Ordered a used copy in good condition from Amazon. Thank You for the reference; I shall look forward to hours of reading...

Mac
LAV-25 2147
YankeeAirRat

Post by YankeeAirRat »

I have Silverstone's "US Warships of World War II" as it was published by the USNI in 1989. It is a great little reference in the sense that it gives you everything that was authorized or in active service between 1939 and 1945. From the Battleships down to the harbor tugs and the little USCG river patrol boats. It is worth it. However, my biggest issue with it is that they list the ships but for large classes like the Fletchers or Summers they don't talk about the modifications which may have occurred to the different ships in the class. That and some of the lists talk about which operations the larger units particpated in, while the supply train ships dodge long lists of "been there, done that". It is a good reference to start with and good to have in your shelf for that random comparision or examination while doing a scenario edit or to start answering a forum post.
Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”