[REL] [Universe] SystemNames.txt - 1,700 unique/easy names

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Tampa_Gamer

[REL] [Universe] SystemNames.txt - 1,700 unique/easy names

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Decided to start posting bits/pieces of my compiled/custom mod I use for my games. I think many have their own compilations/frankenstein mods consisting of custom modified parts and parts from other mods. By releasing the stand-alone bits/pieces others can take and use what they want in their own mods. All I ask is that if you do use this in your own theme and repost-it, please give me credit for this contribution.

This file is a compilation of system names from about 1/2 dozen 4x space games over the past decade, culled by my own tastes to eliminate double names (no "Alpha Sextonis" here), difficult names for the north american tongue (e.g. Al K'ilrrianghuaee) and unnecessarily long names. The base reason for this is that I keep notes to keep things straight (at least until we get a Notes system similar to Sword of the Stars I) and many times the notes are confusing when referencing those types of systems. There are about 1,700+ unique names here.

[INSTALLATION]

Just place this in the root portion of your modded theme folder in the "Customization" subdirectory. If you don't have one yet, you should make one because if you play this game more than once you are going to want to pick and choose which mods you use and make your "own" compilation eventually as we all do.

[CONFLICT ANALYSIS]
This mod will conflict with any mod that also uses [DW Install Directory]\systemNames.txt

[HISTORY]

8/16/13 - slight update to fix a few remaining duplicates/annoyances based on recent game experience]

5/31/14 - update to change name necessary for Universe (e.g. "systems.txt" is now "systemNames.txt"). Also culled a few more similar ones thanks to forum feedback and added new systems based on various sci-fi novels read over past year (those familiar with the Honor Harrington universe may recognize some).

Enjoy!
Attachments
systemNames.txt
(15.88 KiB) Downloaded 1036 times
For those interested, forum thread link to post with a master list of all my DW mods: Link

ehsumrell1

RE: [REL] Systems.txt - 1,500 unique/easy names

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Nice job Tampa!
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Bravo Zulu!
Nice job!
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

Excellent.  Gets used in my next game. 
w1p

Post by w1p »

n1!
TomFrame

Post by TomFrame »

Fantastic! 
Every man is a prisoner of his own mind
-me
Shadow Tiger

Post by Shadow Tiger »

Yoink!
Igard

Post by Igard »

Very nice! Great work there, Tampa. [:)]
Speedy2511

Post by Speedy2511 »

Very good, thanks!
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

Aha! it must be Tampa_Gamer from space empires IV and V fame.:) Nice seeing you here![;)]
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Thanks everyone, again not that big of a mod just dipping my toes. Yes Tophat1812, its me - just with more grey hair and a lot less modding time than in those days! I am still chipping away at various pieces of my custom mod, its just a matter of finding the time to play and tweak them to make sure I am satisfied with the results before I post. Really looking forward to some love on the modding side for future patches as I think DW has a lot of potential to capture the fanbase from SE4/5 as well as the fanbase dissappointed with the recent SoTS II release.
For those interested, forum thread link to post with a master list of all my DW mods: Link

Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

There were no changes to the systems.txt file for Shadows and I have confirmed it is working as intended, so consider this mod updated ;)

Seraph86

Post by Seraph86 »

thanks for the hard work, much appreciated! [&o]
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

For anyone still using this, I just uploaded a slightly revised file that eliminates some duplicates/annoyances that I noticed over the past several games (and were pointed out by others).

thebigpieman

Post by thebigpieman »

Is the Hiigara system in there?
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

it is now ;)

Algoritm

Post by Algoritm »

Very nice work, and only one double: Juantar
We seek researchers that find, but find researchers that seek.
hewwo

Post by hewwo »

Awesome, I'm using this for sure! thanks :)
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

ORIGINAL: Algoritm

Very nice work, and only one double: Juantar

fixed now, thanks

Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

For anyone still using this, I just uploaded a revised file with various revisions made in my games since last summer as well as compatibility changes for Universe (see edited first post above for details).

Return to “Design and Modding”