OT: Whose still making good *board* strategy games?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chad Harrison

OT: Whose still making good *board* strategy games?

Post by Chad Harrison »

Hi all

I have been looking to get back into board strategy games, and finally feel like I might have some time to do so. I know of a lot of titles made in the 70's, 80's and 90's that I would be interesting in getting - but hesitate to pay excessive amounts for them on Ebay and such.

Can anyone recommend some good, high quality, polished and detailed strategy games that are still in print - or atleast can still be purchased new for a reasonable price? I prefer operational, but enjoy tactical and strategic also. I prefer WWII, but can enjoy any age. Detail and realism is more important to me than scale and age - would you expect anything else from a WitP player? [:D]

Are there any consistently good publishers that are still putting out good games?

All I know of are MMP (still have all my ASL/SL stuff) and GMT. Have never tried GMT - any reviews from WitP players?

Thanks in advance.

Chad
sprior

RE: OT: Whose still making good *board* strategy games?

Post by sprior »

Clash of Arms, Multi Man Publishing and GMT are good places to start.

Look at Consimworld.com too for advice, reviews and gossip. And boardgamegeek.com.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Boardgamegeek.com or whatever that site is called is a great place to start.
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

Also try search grognards & SPI
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
Schanilec

Post by Schanilec »

...or SPI Wrecking Yard.
This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.
rjopel

Post by rjopel »

I recommend Federation and Empire. A Grand Strategic and Operational game from the Star Fleet Battles (Star Trek) Universe. http://www.starfleetgames.com/federationandempire.shtml

Disclaimer: I and Nashvilen are staff members for this game.
Ryan Opel
Justus2

Post by Justus2 »

ORIGINAL: rjopel

I recommend Federation and Empire. A Grand Strategic and Operational game from the Star Fleet Battles (Star Trek) Universe. http://www.starfleetgames.com/federationandempire.shtml

Disclaimer: I and Nashvilen are staff members for this game.

It's funny you bring that up, I played that years ago, and as I started into WITP that was one of the first games to come to mind! I just looked at the site, glad to see it is still active. I spent countless hours on Star Fleet Battles in college (probably should have counted as a second major), and played quite a bit for the first few years after (late 80s-early 90s), but as my normal opponents moved away, and we started having kids etc, that was one of the things to get shelved.

Fed&Empire was a great strategic boardgame as I remember it, I will have to read up on the expansions etc since then.
Just when I get the hang of a game, I buy two more... :)
Reg

Post by Reg »

Don't forget other good publishers such as Decision Games (who have most of the old SPI titles including Strategy & Tactics Magazine), Compass Games, Avalanche Press, Sierra Madre Games (for some way out but excellent titles), Columbia Games - and they are just some of the major players. Google the titles to find their websites or just look them up on Boardgame geek to see their product lines.

They are always saying that board gaming is dying but judging by the number of companies in the market it can't be true....

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

Avalanche Press' Great War At Sea series is pretty good. Picture a Victory Games "Fleet" series game based in WWI. 
fair winds,
Brad
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

As rjopel said, Federation & Empire is a good grand strategy game. I also have found the Operational Combat Series by Multiman Publishing to be good. They have a great game on the Burma conflict in 1944.
Zigurat666

Post by Zigurat666 »

ORIGINAL: sprior

Clash of Arms, Multi Man Publishing and GMT are good places to start.

Look at Consimworld.com too for advice, reviews and gossip. And boardgamegeek.com.

+1 for Clash of Arms
Excellent Ancients games
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

The Gamers series as mentioned above. Operational Combat series, Tactical Combat Series and Regimental Sub-Series are all wonderful.

Clash of Arms Napoleonic series are great. Been playing that series since it was first owned by Marshal Enterprises 30+ years ago.
Created by the amazing Dixie
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Must be nice having enough floor or table space to do boardgames. [;)] With as many moves as I've done and living in small, medium and large spaces over the years, but mostly small, I gave up my boardgames about 20 years ago.

That said, it might be cool to pick up a beer & pretzels game that could be done in 2-3 hours.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
Chad Harrison

Post by Chad Harrison »

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Plenty to look after now.

Back in the 80's/early 90's I had two boardgames that covered the entire Pacific War. Really loved them. I have since lost them. So . . .

Can anyone recommend a board game that shares the similar scope of WitP and covers the war? Or perhaps a single campaign (ie. Cartwheel, Marianas, ect.)? Naval actions?

Again, specific recommendations are most welcomed.

Thanks again

Chad
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Victory Games' "War in the Pacific" IIRC, that's what started me off on this whole pacific thing. A VERY detailed board game for its time, rated 10 out of 10 by folks. See Grognards mentioned above. It is a site I always have bookmarked. Really intense reviews of materials.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Oh and I also have an untouched Pacific War game published in Japan, which I think is much like the Victory Games board game. It does have instructions in English, very interesting stuff....
WITPPL

Post by WITPPL »

GMT has some great hardcore but very well tohught out games. My favorite is Barbarossa: East Front Series. You can try this one for a great operational east front game for sure.

www.Boardgamegeek.com is the modernplace to go. Everything is there including the largest community of wargamers on our planet.

Houtje

Post by Houtje »

Dr.Hal, I think you mean 'Pacific War' from GMT Games, designed by Mark Herman? That is an excellent game that does indeed cover the entire war, Chad, with a focus on operations, so it might just be what you are looking for. In fact, Mark Herman is preparing a new edition (to be published by Multiman Publishing), but it might take a while before being available (as in, more than a year from now). It's usually available on Ebay though.

'War in the Pacific' was published by SPI (IIRC) and was a monstergame, which became an even bigger monster when a new edition was published by Decision Games. 9000+ counters, 7 large maps, etc. etc. Very expensive, but it's the only game that begins to approach WITPAE's level of detail. WITPAE is playable though, War in the Pacific not so much - though some have done so.

'Empire of the Sun' is a card-driven strategic game on the pacific war, also by Mark Herman for GMT. It's very popular - as one can see on Boardgamegeek and consimworld.

SPI also brought out 'WWII: Pacific theater of operations' which was, I believe, also republished by Decision games, as 'Advanced Pacific theater of operations'. I never played that, as yet.

Cheers,
Houtje
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

World in Flames would accomplish that I am guessing.
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
Chad Harrison

Post by Chad Harrison »

Thanks for the replies all. Plenty to chew on here.

Chad

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”