ship repairs question

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

TommyG

ship repairs question

Post by TommyG »

I have several dozen ships at PH in various states of repair. The total tonnage in shipyards was slightly below maximum, with the rest dockside or at ARs (3). I have a bunch with 1 day remaining that have had 1 day for over a week now, with maybe one or two converting to ready each day. I also note that the most heavily damaged ship is a BB from Dec 7 that is not repairing. The California has had 450 days needed for months and is making no progress even though I have her listed as "critical". She is too heavily damaged to risk taking to the mainland. Finally, when I docked another BB with only 20 damage, it went into automatic upgrade and exceeded shipyard capacity and now I can not move her to readiness, and it looks like I'm stuck for 90 days.
Questions:
1. Why are all the 1 day ships not shifting to ready? Most are pierside repairs.
2. Why is California not repairing even if shipyard is now overloaded if it is listed as critical?
3. Is there anything I can do to stop the upgrades so I can move less heavily damaged ships out of the shipyard or even to the CONUS?
Gunner98

RE: ship repairs question

Post by Gunner98 »

I'll take a stab at it:

1) Not sure, guessing that if there is a random factor, the busyer the repair yard the better the chance of a delay
2) Don't know.
3) You can turn the ship upgrade to 'off'. I don't use the automatic upgrade feature for this reason. Once a month or so I go into the Ship display 's' and sort out the few ships I don't want to upgrade and select all the rest to upgrade (AKs SS etc), making sure that I can plan when to lose the heavy units. You should be able to change the 2nd BB to pierside repair once some of the hull damage is repaird.

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

ORIGINAL: TommyG

I have several dozen ships at PH in various states of repair. The total tonnage in shipyards was slightly below maximum, with the rest dockside or at ARs (3). I have a bunch with 1 day remaining that have had 1 day for over a week now, with maybe one or two converting to ready each day. I also note that the most heavily damaged ship is a BB from Dec 7 that is not repairing. The California has had 450 days needed for months and is making no progress even though I have her listed as "critical". She is too heavily damaged to risk taking to the mainland. Finally, when I docked another BB with only 20 damage, it went into automatic upgrade and exceeded shipyard capacity and now I can not move her to readiness, and it looks like I'm stuck for 90 days.
Questions:
1. Why are all the 1 day ships not shifting to ready? Most are pierside repairs.
2. Why is California not repairing even if shipyard is now overloaded if it is listed as critical?
3. Is there anything I can do to stop the upgrades so I can move less heavily damaged ships out of the shipyard or even to the CONUS?

1. Is there a "#" next to the days remaining number? Is so, that means that the damage cannot be repaired in the current mode. If there's just 1 or 2 points of damage, I wouldn't worry about it. Just set them to readiness status with the damage remaining and let them go. You can fix that level of damage at your convenience, it won't unduly interfere with the ship's operation.
2. Is California in the shipyard, or pierside? She's probably not going to repair at pierside.
3. I don't think there's any way to stop the upgrades once they've started. You should set all ships to "Do Not Upgrade" and only set them to "Upgrade" when you're ready for them.

If you've got "several dozen" ships trying to repair at Pearl Harbor, you're probably out of repair points. You need to spread them out amongst your shipyards to balance the load.
-- Mark Sieving
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

The "#" symbol is very important so take note of it, if it is there, it means that the ship in its present repair situation can no be repaired below that number of damage percent. Either you need to change the ships status (ie from "pierside" to "shipyard") and if there is no shipyard, then it needs to be moved to a port that HAS a shipyard.
TommyG

Post by TommyG »

No # sign, but the repair points thing is a likely culprit. How many does PH get each turn and how are they allocated? (a citation to a paragraph in the manual will suffice).
California is in a shipyard but some days the repair delay actually goes up even though it is a critical repair.
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

ORIGINAL: TommyG

No # sign, but the repair points thing is a likely culprit. How many does PH get each turn and how are they allocated? (a citation to a paragraph in the manual will suffice).
California is in a shipyard but some days the repair delay actually goes up even though it is a critical repair.

See chapter 14.2 in the manual. The number of repair points depends on the shipyard size, port size, number of AR and tenders, and naval support. If you can follow all the details, you're a better man than I, but the gist of is, don't try to do too much at once.
-- Mark Sieving
Dan Nichols

Post by Dan Nichols »

For #3, you can take all of the upgrades and move them from the shipyard to pierside and they will take the same amount of time and free up some shipyard space.

For #1, do not use Critical for a well damaged BB, you are using 2 or 3 times the shipyard space for that one ship.
That is taking all of the shipyard space and the 1 days ships have no repair points to use.

BB California will repair all non major float and engine damage at pierside repair and all SYS damage. I get my damaged BBs down to 0 SYS damage and 50 or less Float damage before moving to the WC.

I think that the two obligations you have are to be good at what you do and then to pass on your knowledge to a younger person
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

If you all wait a further 24 hours, you will see posted my comprehensive ship repair 101 guide. Warning it is quite a long document.

Alfred
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

Hmmm - but now the anticipation is killing me
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

Hmmm - but now the anticipation is killing me

Now posted. See

tm.asp?m=2990845