70 years ago today...............

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

captskillet

70 years ago today...............

Post by captskillet »

Pearl Harbor thrust us into the whirlwind of WWII..........here's to all that gave their lives that day. [&o]
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

tocaff

RE: 70 years ago today...............

Post by tocaff »

...and to the others who have sacrificed so much on the days before and since.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

This is also the perfect day for anyone to start a PBEM "Grand campaign". [:)]
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I am starting one today.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Good luck and good hunting![:)]
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

I also honor those who died that day, and before and since.

Like Avenger, to mark the occasion, I'll start an AI game today. (Don't have time for a PBEM.)
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Like Avenger, to mark the occasion, I'll start an AI game today. (Don't have time for a PBEM.)

Might I suggest that you have time for a PBEM, but not time for a "Grand Campaign". One of the short scenario's can be done in just minutes a turn. [:)]
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

And I am restarting the GC as Allies today... for 70th time!
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

True, but there's also the daily stress of PBEM! I stress out unbelievably when I play PBEM. I love it, but my blood pressure doesn't. :) Although I think a PBEM as the Allies might be less stressful. As Japan, I feel like I'm on the knife's edge -- so little margin for error.

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Might I suggest that you have time for a PBEM, but not time for a "Grand Campaign". One of the short scenario's can be done in just minutes a turn. [:)]
mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

Tonight I'll lift a glass to my grandfather, who captained ships in the Arctic, the N.Atlantic, the Med, and the Pacific, and the survivors of PH and US veterans of the Pacific War, and to revenge well-earned.
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

For those who havn't had the chance to visit Pearl and Oahu. I found my old photo shoot from 2005. Has some good close up pics of the Arizona, Utah and Missouri.

It was and remains a pivotal experience for me. Got to listen in on a survivor describing his experiences on Dec 7. Arizona museum has alot of interesting stuff and models, including Arizona before/after the attack and a huge detailed model of carrier Akagi.

tm.asp?m=998523&mpage=1&key=oahu&#998544
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

This is also the perfect day for anyone to start a PBEM "Grand campaign". [:)]

Good call, our should start today... ironic I guess.

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

For those who havn't had the chance to visit Pearl and Oahu. I found my old photo shoot from 2005. Has some good close up pics of the Arizona, Utah and Missouri.

It was and remains a pivotal experience for me. Got to listen in on a survivor describing his experiences on Dec 7. Arizona museum has alot of interesting stuff and models, including Arizona before/after the attack and a huge detailed model of carrier Akagi.

tm.asp?m=998523&mpage=1&key=oahu��
I added a post before I realized it was in the other forum.
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Also, in that thread, you show a number of pix of the USS Utah, which is not often seen by tourists. This morning's Minneapolis Star-Tribune has an op-ed about the Utah.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/othe ... 30083.html

"Stop neglecting the Utah

On Dec. 7, 1941, in the infamous sneak attack on Pearl Harbor, Japanese naval aircraft sank the battleship USS Arizona, killing 1,177 of its crew while they were preparing for a quiet Sunday morning.

The mostly submerged wreck, sheltered by a graceful and distinctive white canopy, is a National Memorial, justifiably visited by the thousands who make the pilgrimage to its resting place. It may be one of the best known sights in Hawaii.

On the other side of Ford's Island, almost directly across from the Arizona, is another National Memorial, if not exactly forgotten, certainly largely overlooked.

The battleship USS Utah was sunk by torpedo, some say three torpedoes, and, despite a couple of unsuccessful attempts to move it, the rusty orange remains of the Utah remain where it rolled over on its side at 8:01 that Sunday morning.

The USS Utah society complains that the Memorial "is not mentioned in tourist brochures." And, indeed, the small memorial on the shore and that part of Pearl Harbor is off limits to visitors without special permission.
. . ."

And it continues.

The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Continuing the newspaper theme in regards to PH, this as well:

http://www.startribune.com/local/stpaul/135144923.html

The USS Ward fired the first US shots of the war, sinking a Japanese mini-sub about an hour before the air attacks began. Half of her crew were reservists from St. Paul, the capital of Minnesota. The No. 3 gun from the Ward stilll graces the grounds of the Minnesota capitol.
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

And a final one, also from today's paper. This one from a Navy wife whose husband was a gunnery officer in USS California. Among other things, she verifies that scene in several PH movies of the convertible being strafed by a Zero. Her husband was one of the four men in the car.

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/1 ... &prepage=1
The Moose
sandman455

Post by sandman455 »

Wow!

Thanks for sharing these amazing pictures.
Gary S (USN 1320, 1985-1993)
AOCS 1985, VT10 1985-86, VT86 1986, VS41 1986-87
VS32 1987-90 (NSO/NWTO, deployed w/CV-66, CVN-71)
VS27 1990-91 (NATOPS/Safety)
SFWSLANT 1991-93 (AGM-84 All platforms, S-3 A/B systems)

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”