Economy Question

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

smcintyr11

Economy Question

Post by smcintyr11 »

Hi I am just learning the game. But basically my question is this. I keep losing money although I don't know why. Right now my State cash on hand is negative -15K, my state cashflow is +9K. My private cash on hand is 67K on my private cashflow is -52K. My cash on hand will seem to slowly improve sometimes making it to even and then it will suddenly drop 10-15K. I think I should be making money with a positive cash flow, but this appears to not be the case. I looked at the galactic encyclopedia and manual, but it didn't give me any answers. If someone could point me in a direction it would be helpful. Thanks.
cookie monster

RE: Economy Question

Post by cookie monster »

You are losing money because your maintenance charges are too high

Retire some extra ships or troops, and see how your bank balance recovers

When you retire the ships you can rebuild them from the same parts later if your at the same space port
smcintyr11

Post by smcintyr11 »

Do mining bases count towards these maintenance costs as well? If they do, right now I have my constructor ships automated and they have built many mining stations. It might be a better idea to manually control what mining stations are being created?
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

You are losing money because your maintenance charges are too high

Retire some extra ships or troops, and see how your bank balance recovers

When you retire the ships you can rebuild them from the same parts later if your at the same space port

Interesting. I always assumed retiring a ship was the same thing as scraping it ... I better go back and read the galactopedia [:)]

So, from an economic standpoint is retiring similar to "moth balling" a ship. If not that would be a great addition. You could lay up your obsolete ships for a fraction of the maintenance cost and be able to call them up as a reserve in time of need (with an obvious cash dump to bring the ships fully on line again.)
Chief of the Watch... Over the 1MC, pass the word... "DIVE!" "DIVE!"... sound two blasts of the Diving Alarm ... and pass the word, "DIVE! "DIVE!"
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Dam I never knew that,duh.
cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

Check your empire screen and look at the totals of the maintenance charges

Remember your taxes plus resource trades make your profit, so mines are good

Ships and troops and space ports are charges

Although the space port does have a trade centre which generates income
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Also, if you've authorized refits, the money doesn't get deducted for a particular ship until it actually arrives at port for the refit. I've had cases where I authorized large refits, and months later I was still getting hit by periodic massive deductions as the ships were still trickling in. [X(]
Fideach

Post by Fideach »

Mining stations, when it comes to having lots of them, from my experience are only profitable if you have trading partners to sell the excess resources too. Researching the commerce tech helps with making profit on trading as well.

I would suggest to scrap\retire any excess ships you don't need in the military and check your expansion planner and see what resources you have more then enough sources for. Then scrap some of those bases that you don't need and are in an area with excess of those resources.

You could also do what I did in my current game, playing a human military dictatorship. My large fleets and the fact everyone doesn't like me, keeps me in the red. But I fund it with rapid expansion, and selling off my lower tech to everyone. Even sold a few bases. Not the best practice, but can keep you afloat till your colonies catch up tax wise.
smcintyr11

Post by smcintyr11 »

Thank you for all the replies. It is definitely a learning process
the1sean

Post by the1sean »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Dam I never knew that,duh.
I don't think that's how it works, exactly. Can't find a clear reference in the galactopedia, but pretty sure when you "retire" a ship you get the resources used to build it back, and they are stored at the colony/shipyard where decommissioned. So the components aren't sitting there, but the resources are now available for constructing future vessels.
Data

Post by Data »

This is indeed how it works, have tested it some time ago.
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Malevolence

Post by Malevolence »

ORIGINAL:  the1sean
I don't think that's how it works, exactly. Can't find a clear reference in the galactopedia, but pretty sure when you "retire" a ship you get the resources used to build it back, and they are stored at the colony/shipyard where decommissioned. So the components aren't sitting there, but the resources are now available for constructing future vessels.

Indeed.
Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”