system damage?

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

gunther05

system damage?

Post by gunther05 »

just how long does it take to erase system damage.. for instance i bring a task force back from sea all with about 10-15 system damage.. after about 15 days docked at truk my task force has not repaired. In the scenario im playing truk has a level 9 port. only like one ship had any reduction in system damage. anyone have a clue how to speed up the process? or on what factors control this. It seems very serious damage is repaired quicker than minor damage. v. 2.20
HawaiiFive-O

Post by HawaiiFive-O »

Yes, SYS damage can take awhile to reduce, and the amount of SYS damage you accumulate in just a 2 weeks sortie is impressive.

I am not an expert on these matters, so I won't cry foul too loudly, but it does seem a little excessive.

Here's an interesting thread from the WITP forum.

Link

Mogami has a good idea about capping the amount of SYS damage possible, but requiring periodic stays in a major port for an overhaul.

Probably not possible with UV, but hopefully this issue will be addressed in time for WITP.

Oh, and the work at Truk will go faster if you disband the TF. This will place the ships at anchor and will maximize the repair effort. You may have already done this, of course.
Admiral Scott

Post by Admiral Scott »

Incidental system damage rate should be cut in half, and also be capped.
I hope the next patch addresses this problem.
GunRange

Post by GunRange »

There is something funny about the SYS damage from wear. The game system says, that it's almost impossible to get a super tanker from Bahrain to Tokyo without staying in port 6 months after each voyage for repairs.
-"Delete everything after crazy!"
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Sorry, but you can't compare a warship to a tanker-especially a modern one. Warships are quite complicated and there were lots of things on WWII warships that broke quite easily. Tankers are fairly simple-especially the ones today that have diesel engines.

I worked on steamships for a decade in the Merchant Marine and they break all the time-especially if they have a little age on em. Most delicate are high pressure steam boilers. They always need work and can break easily. Electronics-especially in 42 but even now breaks fairly fast. Lets don't even talk about evaporaters, burners, forced draft systems, steering gear, hydraulics and so on. Even on peachtime merchant trips that stuff just breaks all the time. If I got one thing from my experience on ships its that they just are contantly in need of repair. You got lots of vibration out there and plenty of salt. Not a good thing for mechanical stuff.

Warships in combat conditions-even when not in actual combat, are in a high stress situation. Lots of high speed runs, maneuvers, etc., Things that just will kill boiler tubes and turbines. Lots of equipment being used to the limit. Factor in the state of the navy in 1942. Obsolete equipment. Lack of forward repair and spare parts and I would venture to say that Matrix has the systems breakdown just about right. Would not mind if they repaired just a little faster in major ports though.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Opps.... I read you post again and you were talking about repair times not system break downs. Spoke to soon, read to little.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Admiral Scott

Post by Admiral Scott »

Something needs to be done. Either slow the damage rate or speed up the repair rate.

I think a little of both.
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

I agree with the Admiral. You put Akagi in Truk for a month, you should repair more than two SD, even if the latest shipment of comfort women has just arrived. The repair dogs in Noumea, even though it was a primitive kind of place, could repaint, rewire, and reboiler the whole Saratoga in 45 days and have time left over to turn the half ton of scraped-off barnacles into folk jewelry.

One other thing. Put together an air combat fleet of 3 CVs, 2 modern BBs, 2 CLs, 2 CLAAs, and 6 good AA DDs and they should not be penalized a full hex of cruising speed movement just because Yorktown grows one barnacle on her virgin p*ssy.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
OG_Gleep

Post by OG_Gleep »

At what point do you send ships back to Pearl/Tokyo due to sys damage?
ADavidB

Post by ADavidB »

Originally posted by OG_Gleep
At what point do you send ships back to Pearl/Tokyo due to sys damage?

Generally, I dock my ships for a while once they get to an SD level of 11 or 12 and let them get back down to below 10. This works quite fast with subs and destroyers, and a little slower with big ships, but it is still dependable.

This makes me rotate my ships a lot, but that's not unrealistic IIRC.

As far as sending ships back to Hawaii/Tokyo goes, once SD is above 20 I send them back, but I only get that from battle damage, not accumulated travel-time wear and tear.

I'm not really sure I agree with the way the current game mechanism assigns and accumulates routine wear and tear, but I've learned to live with it.

Dave Baranyi
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

The wear-n-tear rate seems a little on the high side...

Starting as the Jap's in scenario 19, I send my fleet down from Truk (all the CV, CA, DD) and by the time I got them south of Rabaul, I was looking at a CV with 8%!!! sys damage, 2 CA's in the 4+% range and a host of other ships in the 1-2% range.

Is there a way of mitigating this damage rate? ie: certain mission types steam at slower speeds? or sticking a slow poke in the TF to hold back the TF's speed?

You'd think Rabaul with the second highest port size allowable in the game could knock off a % a day for < 10% damage.

It would be nice to see the formula documented a tad, since the choice to return a ship to Tok/Pearl is not something taken lightly and has possible game altering impact.
denisonh

Normal Operating Condition

Post by denisonh »

0-5 % represents normal operating conditions. 6-10% is still good, but should get some down time soon.

Just for some of the reasons crsutton mentioned, I would think it a bit unrealistic to have ships operating at 0% system damage all the time. Anybody have a car that looks like it did on showroom all the time? Agreed, the low level damage under 5% should come off quicker, but a system that shows wear and tear to a degree that assists in making decisions on when and for how to rest ships is great part of the game.

I agree that one full speed run should't cause as much system damage as it does, but other than that it is fairly reasonable. Operating ships over time, they gradually accumulate sys damage. When the weather is bad, it is more likely to happen.

The system damage piece seems to work as intended, you just can't operate your ships without down time.
"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC
The Gnome

Post by The Gnome »

It seems (and I may be wrong here) that there is a linear approach to damage. 1% of system damage is the same if you're at 99% damage or 1%.

Just an idea here, but maybe repairing system damage should be easier with a lower damage percentage? Reparing a 1% of system damage from 5% to 4% would take less time than going from 10% to 9% and that would take significantly less time than going from 71% to 70%.

On the surface this seems to make sense to my inexperienced brain. Keeping up with routine maintenance would take less time than letting it get out of hand and having serious repairs. And that would take less time to repair than major battle damage.
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

Just remember, when you send one of your big boats to Tokyo or Pearl, there's no guarantee you'll ever get it back.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
ADavidB

Post by ADavidB »

Originally posted by pasternakski
Just remember, when you send one of your big boats to Tokyo or Pearl, there's no guarantee you'll ever get it back.

True, but a carrier or cruiser isn't a lot of good if it's sitting around at a SD level of 45 or so. ( Generally I find that my ships either get a lot of damage in battle, or a small amount in routine wear and tear, but not often inbetween. )

Dave Baranyi

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”