How do you play WitE?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Joel Billings

How do you play WitE?

Post by Joel Billings »

So the question is, "how do you play WitE?" If you play a quick learning test game against the AI and then quickly shift to only playing against another human player, please answer that you only play against another person. It would be useful if the lurkers would come out and show themselves for this poll, as it does give us an idea of where we should focus our time on this and future games in the series. My belief is that a large percentage of lurkers and/or people that never come to the forums are AI players, and that the majority of users are AI players (but I've been wrong before). I will be posting another question re Multiplayer versus PBEM usage.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Eggmanrc

RE: How do you play WitE?

Post by Eggmanrc »

You are exactly right as far as this old SSI War in Europe player is concerned. The game is SO mammoth that at the present time (since it was released) I'm content to read every scrap of information submitted in the forums before submitting on them. Thanks, btw, to those who answer questions submitted on the forums. Their expertise and knowledge is very much appreciated by those of us who want to learn every aspect of this great game.
chasman

Post by chasman »

I've used AI to learn mechanics, and might again in future, but the unpredictability of a human opponent can't be bettered.

Do you count hotseat play as human vs human? Perhaps that should have been among the options to vote for.
Jakerson

Post by Jakerson »

Playing against the human player is most fun as you never know what they do.

AI is good only for learning basics IMHO.
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

play vs human via slitherine server

The ai is good also, but "live" games are so easy to get I hardly ever play solitaire now.
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I would be interested in what the split is between German only, Soviet only or play both sides players.

BTW I only ever play other people. I get no enjoyment at all from playing AI. It seems so pointless.
Peever

Post by Peever »

As a long time lurker I'll come out of the shadows to say that I play the game against the AI exclusively.  For me gaming is a recreation that I don't want to have any obligations to.  I enjoy being able to sit down and play four or five turns then not touch the game for a week, or quit and restart a game without annoying another player or having to schedule my gaming. 

I also don't have the time to really master a single game so playing against the AI will be challenging enough for me.
"Sergeant the Spanish bullet isn't made that will kill me," Bucky O'Neil seconds before receiving a fatal shot to the head at the battle of San Juan Hill.
neuromancer

Post by neuromancer »

I play it with a spoon!

(I also +1 Peever)
Hagleboz

Post by Hagleboz »

I am a daily lurker but I post from time to time.  I have played a few of the smaller scenarios against other people but my spare time is so limited that I can't commit to play a full game against another person, although I would really like to.  So far my grand campaign experience is only vs the AI and mostly as the Germans.
jomni

Post by jomni »

Poll results show two extremes.  People who play most vs. AI and people who play vs. people.
Goes to show you can't just do a multiplayer only game, or an AI only game.  But what's interesting is not a lot chose the middle ground.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

ORIGINAL: jomni

Poll results show two extremes.  People who play most vs. AI and people who play vs. people.
Goes to show you can't just do a multiplayer only game, or an AI only game.  But what's interesting is not a lot chose the middle ground.

Well one way to look at it is that a majority (of 51%) play both. [:)] You do have a point though that there's a lot at the extremes.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
PeeDeeAitch

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

I usually play solitaire against another person.
"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

I have been playing since the game was released against the AI. It takes my 2-3 hours a turn, which when your playing a Campaign is a big committment. I'm still learning btw.

When i have a spare 6 months in my life I will play against another person.
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
Wild

Post by Wild »

Ai only here.
EisenHammer

Post by EisenHammer »

Have too look at it this way, most of the people who buy the game don't even post online or vote let alone play multiplayer or Email.
Harovan

Post by Harovan »

I draw more fun from playing other humans, but alas, I don't have always time and I probably would annoy my opponent playing 6 turns in one week and 1 turn in the next. The AI is much more forgiving in that respect. Voted "the AI more than another person", but that may (better: hopefully will - as time situation improves) change in the future.

Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

I would love to play against a human opponent but just don't have that kind of time,especially this time of year. Fortunately the AI is really good.
Schmauser

Post by Schmauser »

I play only against the AI. It boils down to time commitments.
wadortch

Post by wadortch »

I have played many hours as Axis vs the AI.

I started my first game with a good human play a couple of months and don't think I will ever go back to playing the AI as Axis anyway.

An awesome game for those of us especially who started out with Avalon Hills Stalingrad game years ago.

Walt
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

I play a few turns against AI when I need a break from WITP:AE.
So far I only get a few months done before I start over.
It is complexed so I am trying to play concentrating on some aspects each time, and letting others just play out. The Air bit I haven't looked at yet. Happy enough with letting it attack/defend by itself.[:D]

Hopefully, when I am ready to commit to a full game (and have the time), I should have a rough idea on how ALL the parts interact.
Michael

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”