Ship upgrade problem

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chris21wen

Ship upgrade problem

Post by Chris21wen »

v1.6i

It's 6/44 and time to do an upgrade to my CVs.. None of them are in a shipyard but the upgrade does not require one. The Ports sizes are level 4 (Tabitauea), 5 (Pago), 6 (Milne) with lots of supply. The CVs in Milne will upgrade the other won't. Is it a bug or has the upgrade routines changed as I can find nothing in the manual to help.
Smeulders

RE: Ship upgrade problem

Post by Smeulders »

No, always been like this. Even if there is no shipyard needed you'll need a big enough port (depending on the size of the ship). Smaller ports can work if there is enough naval support. Don't feel bad about not knowing this, it isn't in the manual as far as I know.
The AE-Wiki, help fill it out
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

No, always been like this. Even if there is no shipyard needed you'll need a big enough port (depending on the size of the ship). Smaller ports can work if there is enough naval support. Don't feel bad about not knowing this, it isn't in the manual as far as I know.

So hows it work exactly? I could understand Tabitauea not being able to do it as the port is too small for a CV to dock but it does have 220 naval support. Pago is big enough for a CV to dock and it has 100 Naval support. Milne at size 6 does work but it has no naval support.
Smeulders

Post by Smeulders »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

So hows it work exactly? I could understand Tabitauea not being able to do it as the port is too small for a CV to dock but it does have 220 naval support. Pago is big enough for a CV to dock and it has 100 Naval support. Milne at size 6 does work but it has no naval support.

Beats me, I believe there was something about the relation of port size and ship size in a previous thread which I've failed to find again. However, how naval support factors in I haven't a clue.
The AE-Wiki, help fill it out
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Anybody know
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Anybody know
I thought all upgrades needed a shipyard - whether used or not.
Omat

Post by Omat »

Hello

n01487477 is right. You need a shipyard to upgrades a CV. It does not have to be in the repaire modus "shipyard" only diband the CV in the port.
Only very snall ships can upgrades without a shipyard in a port.

Hope it helps

Omat
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
Bertrand Russell
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Omat

Hello

n01487477 is right. You need a shipyard to upgrades a CV. It does not have to be in the repaire modus "shipyard" only diband the CV in the port.
Only very snall ships can upgrades without a shipyard in a port.

Hope it helps

Omat

That is not correct. Look at the pic below. The Yorktown II has been upgraded at Milne Bay. No shipyard.

Attachments
Untitled1.jpg
Untitled1.jpg (168.25 KiB) Viewed 25 times
dereck

Post by dereck »

Beats me, I believe there was something about the relation of port size and ship size in a previous thread which I've failed to find again. However, how naval support factors in I haven't a clue.

I think I know what thread you're talking about. I copied this to a wordpad document to add to my notes notebook. Maybe this will spur some memories:

SHIP UPGRADES (NON-SHIPYARD PORTS)
quote:

ORIGINAL: Mistmatz
The cubed port size has to be bigger than tonnage by 100 (maybe the same would do the job?).

Correct, that's my point & why I'm confused.

The warship you stated you were going to upgrade was 10,000
Melbourne starts out as a port size 7.

7 cubed is 343
10,000 / 100 is 100

So it should be 343 compared to 100 which is 3:1
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
Omat

Post by Omat »

Hi

Shipyard Size is the minimum Repair Shipyard size necessary to effect the upgrade/ conversion. When this value is “0”, upgrades/conversions can be made at Ports with a sufficient “ability” rating, as explained in the Port Section in the manual

Omat

[/quote]

That is not correct. Look at the pic below. The Yorktown II has been upgraded at Milne Bay. No shipyard.

[/quote]
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
Bertrand Russell
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Hi

Shipyard Size is the minimum Repair Shipyard size necessary to effect the upgrade/ conversion. When this value is “0”, upgrades/conversions can be made at Ports with a sufficient “ability” rating, as explained in the Port Section in the manual

Omat

[/quote]

[/quote]

"Ability" thats the key. Like most of the manual, sketchy at best.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: dereck

I think I know what thread you're talking about. I copied this to a wordpad document to add to my notes notebook. Maybe this will spur some memories:

SHIP UPGRADES (NON-SHIPYARD PORTS)
quote:

ORIGINAL: Mistmatz
The cubed port size has to be bigger than tonnage by 100 (maybe the same would do the job?).

Correct, that's my point & why I'm confused.

The warship you stated you were going to upgrade was 10,000
Melbourne starts out as a port size 7.

7 cubed is 343
10,000 / 100 is 100

So it should be 343 compared to 100 which is 3:1

Where did that come from? Did a dev post it or did some one test it, quess or what?
Omat

Post by Omat »

Hi

What is the meaning of "0"?

So you ask if it is a bug...this shows, as far as I understand this, when no shipjard is needed this not mean you can upgrade everywhere...
An other question is what is the ability...

Omat

Hi

Omat

[/quote]

[/quote]
Bertrand Russell
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Don Bowen posted on 15 April 2010 that when a zero shipyard size is nominated, a ship can be upgraded at a port where

[center](port size cubed) is compared to (ship tonnage/100)[/center]

In a subseqent post on 8 June 2010, he expanded on his April post that the ability to do the upgrade was determined by the total accumulated capacity of the port. The accumulated capacity took into account

[center]port size
shipyards
repair ships
appropriate tenders
naval support[/center]

According to Don Bowen in his June post, the exact formula as to how each of these components contribute to the overall capacity will not be disclosed. The only hint given by him was that a size 5 port with an AR could upgrade ships of up to 18,800 tons.

Alfred
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Don Bowen posted on 15 April 2010 that when a zero shipyard size is nominated, a ship can be upgraded at a port where

[center](port size cubed) is compared to (ship tonnage/100)[/center]

In a subseqent post on 8 June 2010, he expanded on his April post that the ability to do the upgrade was determined by the total accumulated capacity of the port. The accumulated capacity took into account

[center]port size
shipyards
repair ships
appropriate tenders
naval support[/center]

According to Don Bowen in his June post, the exact formula as to how each of these components contribute to the overall capacity will not be disclosed. The only hint given by him was that a size 5 port with an AR could upgrade ships of up to 18,800 tons.

Alfred

Thanks.

To the devs.
Will this make it into the manual along with other missing, changed or new info.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

I don't know if a SY is really needed to do all upgrades, but I have gotten into a habit of sending my ships in need of upgrade to a large port with a RSY available as it saves on confusion.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Rainer

Post by Rainer »

To the devs.
Will this make it into the manual along with other missing, changed or new info.

There are no plans for a new manual as far as I know.
Check the update/upgrade notes for new info.
WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

I can immagine a real life situation were a ship is sent to a port to have an upgrade done only to hold this conversation.

'Who told you that we don't have the equipment or manpower here'.
'I received orders from some supply officer attached to CenPac'.
'Well he's wrong, we don't even know how the thing works so how do we fit it and test it?'.
'Some ones screwed up you *&^%(* admin type are all the same. Get your procedure sorted I just wasted time when I have war to fight'

This is probably not fictious I can imagion it happening, often. This game does simulate this very well[:(]
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

I can immagine a real life situation were a ship is sent to a port to have an upgrade done only to hold this conversation.

'Who told you that we don't have the equipment or manpower here'.
'I received orders from some supply officer attached to CenPac'.
'Well he's wrong, we don't even know how the thing works so how do we fit it and test it?'.
'Some ones screwed up you *&^%(* admin type are all the same. Get your procedure sorted I just wasted time when I have war to fight'

This is probably not fictious I can imagion it happening, often. This game does simulate this very well[:(]

Meanwhile the crew of said ship is rather enjoying the delay I would imagine. [;)]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”