The objective of this mod is to enhance the gameplay of Distant Worlds by tightening up AI Empire settings, and making some improvements on the artwork side to make things work how you would expect them to.
This is a complete overhaul of my earlier artwork mod, with the addition of gameplay improvements.
- Population growth rates have been moderately increased across the board, as many players (including me) feel that population growth is pretty stunted for a 4x, and can lead to game stagnation. The formula is ((G x 1.5) + 10) with "G" being population growth %
- AI settings have been tweaked. AI's are set to build more powerful ships (by focusing them on construction tech and shifting a few of them towards some sort of weapons tech emphasis, and realigning their construction priorities)
- I have tweaked each race to capitalize on it's racial tech or other innate advantages (again by tweaking their ship and research strategies).
Aggression isn't modded, as this can lead to unstable game play. (So I would still suggest changing aggression settings during game setup to suit your gaming style)
Race specific art has been completely reworked.
- Empire flag and ship artwork now match each race's color scheme.
- Troops now have their appearance changed from that little tank to their race's default artwork. The tank art now works for robotic troops.
- Races from the same family (humanoids, insects, etc) now share similar ship artwork styles. So if you look at a ship you can tell what race type they are.
- Previously unused ship artwork has been used to diversify shipsets (all that ship art that was never seen in the game but sitting in the shipset folders!) This gives most races their own unique warship and exploration ship art.
Let me know what ya'll think!
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20305630 ... ux+Mod.rar
1. Unzip the 'Gameplay Redux Mod' to Matrix Games/Distant Worlds/Customization/
2. Start DW:ROTS. On the main menu select 'Change Theme', then select Gameplay Redux Mod and press "Switch Theme"
To disable all AI tweaks, replace "races" file in the mod folder with the one marked "artwork only mod".
I have been inspired by alexalexuk's "Super AI Mod" efforts, and WoodMan's "Diverse Worlds" mod. Also, I have to thank Eliott and Matrix for making such an awesome game and letting me Beta test ROTS!