Moscow or Leningrad

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Skanvak

Moscow or Leningrad

Post by Skanvak »

I don't manage to find the thread about taking Moscow or Leningrad. I remind that lost of people say taht taking leningrad have more incentive than taking Moscow which was not the historical German goals.

Well, I have just read in "Panzer Leader" that the above statement was made by Hitler at an OKW meeting with Guderian after Guderain explained that Moscow was an important industrial and politcal city, and a transport hub. To which Hitler replies that Leningrad was more important because it allow to link with the Finns and that taking Ukraine and Crimea was paramount.

So I guess, that finally the game is not that bad on incentive as player have the same strategical debate as the historical figure. And it is amusing that all people that advocate leningrad first are actually following Hitler strategic view. Taking Moscow was Guderian/OKH idea (at least at this point of the war which is just before Guderain was send south to help encircle Kiev).

I think again that we should focus to look at what can be improved in the data (like simple and double rail lines), and not ask to correct our expected result which seems to be as wrong as the historical participant.

Best regards

Skanvak
Apollo11

RE: Moscow or Leningrad

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

Leningrad...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Leningrad, as it frees up the Finns and the 18th army and softens up the Soviet winter offensive. Moscow can be taken in 42, Leningrad can't...
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
Skanvak

Post by Skanvak »

So Appollo and Pyledriver goes for Hitler plan against OKH and Guderian. My point was more to compare the historical debate to our present debate.

Best regards

Skanvak
ool

Post by ool »

Definitely Leningrad.
PeeDeeAitch

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

Both.
"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

This is the "pork or ham" question [:D]

Attachments
fatman2.jpg
fatman2.jpg (6.51 KiB) Not viewed yet
a nu cheeki breeki iv damke
PeeDeeAitch

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

With a side of bacon, please!
"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Sure you try for both, but don't let Leningrad slip through your hands in 41. Theres so much the Germans need to grab, and only so many moble units to do it...
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”