Elsenborn Scenario

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

vj531

Elsenborn Scenario

Post by vj531 »

About to a bash at the Elsenborn Ridge Scenario. Not sure which side gives the best game although I can see the Allied side is far tougher.
any thoughts or tip would much appreciated?
All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM
simovitch

RE: Elsenborn Scenario

Post by simovitch »

Depends on what you want to experience, really. The Americans in the O-Tag scenarios have serious delays until late in the day when they finally realize what is being thrown at them. And then the challenge becomes pulling them back into a cohesive defense in time to stop the onslaught.

Germans are attacking with everything they got, including KG Peiper who you can choose to exit or try to outflank Elsenborn Ridge. There's a lot of units but you will discover that you need every one of them to break through.
simovitch

vj531

Post by vj531 »

Started the game about 3 times as the Germans as I try to cut my forces into workable portions without forgetting some. [&:]
I'm trying in vain to work out objectives for all the different unit from the off.
As normal I'm probably over complicating the job in hand. The lack of arty supply is real pain.
All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM
FredSanford3

Post by FredSanford3 »

re forgetting units- use the "-" key to filter the unit display to show units without orders, and you'll see who you missed.
ORIGINAL: sharper

Started the game about 3 times as the Germans as I try to cut my forces into workable portions without forgetting some. [&:]
I'm trying in vain to work out objectives for all the different unit from the off.
As normal I'm probably over complicating the job in hand. The lack of arty supply is real pain.

Post by vj531 »

I was that puddled I even forgot to hit "-" to remind me. thx FN [:D]
I'm probing down the whole line to get an idea of allied force strengths but feel now this is too slow and I may have already taken too long.
All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Use the Function keys to display strength, combat power, rout status, fatigue levels etc in the unit info boxes. These can give you a good snapshot of the swtate of your forces.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
vj531

Post by vj531 »

I'm playing axis side so probing to get the status of the Allies. Mind you the mess I'm making of the offensive I'm not so sure!
All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

ORIGINAL: sharper

I was that puddled I even forgot to hit "-" to remind me. thx FN [:D]
I'm probing down the whole line to get an idea of allied force strengths but feel now this is too slow and I may have already taken too long.
Probably too slow. One thing about playing these operational scenarios is that you need to remember the Germans were trying to get to the Meuse River nearly 40 miles away in 3 days! You don't have the luxury of probing and assaulting and your victory conditions reflect that.

Note that you gain occupation points (and probably deny the Allies points)if you have reached Rocherath-Murringen-Bullingen by late morning of the 2nd day.
simovitch

vj531

Post by vj531 »

Its day 2 6:22am and Im not close to takng any [>:]
All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

Return to “Command Ops Series”