Strange HQ's behavior

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

moet

Strange HQ's behavior

Post by moet »

In Elsenborn Ridge scenario, I ask a battalion HQ to do a probe attack.
The three companies are moving normally towards the ennemy, but the HQ decide to make a very long suicidal deviation in the south (see the HQ tasks in the picture).
What did I do wrong ?!?
English blog: wargamesforeveryone.net
French blog: guerreenjeu.net
bairdlander2

RE: Strange HQ's behavior

Post by bairdlander2 »

Ive noticed that as well.I will place for example an attack to a specific map location,when I click unit later,the grey destination mark is somewhere else.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

moet,

When an attack is developed it determines an FUP for the assault ing units and a reserveLoc for the HQ and other reserve units. In thisw case the coice of the reserveLoc is anything but optimum. Do you have a saved game taken just before you ordered that attack? If so, please zip and upload here or send to support[at]panthergames[dot]com and add a link to this thread in your email.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
ncarson

Post by ncarson »

You will notice that this is happening a great deal, and it is listed as a top priority to fix. The Germans have the same problem. In this scenario, my artillery was disrupted by a German artillery until that slipped all the way to my my hindside and parked right beside my artillery and began firing away (at my troops!). I could understand a commando group etc doing this, but an artillery until. Much to my chagrin, but it shouldn't have happened...
moet

Post by moet »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna
When an attack is developed it determines an FUP for the assault ing units and a reserveLoc for the HQ and other reserve units. In thisw case the coice of the reserveLoc is anything but optimum. Do you have a saved game taken just before you ordered that attack? If so, please zip and upload here or send to support[at]panthergames[dot]com and add a link to this thread in your email.
At the very beginning of the Elsenborn Ridge scenario, ask the German HQ of the 2nd batallion of the 989 Gren Regiment to attack straight West the lonely allied unit that is waiting there, on the other side of the "Höckerline" antitank obstacles.

I thought may be the HQ was motorized and was not able to cross the Höckerline at the location of the attack, but it has the same kind of vehicles than its infantry companies.

When we select the "defend" task created in the south, it shows an "avoidance" route. I'm just wondering why the HQ has to go so far and so close to another allied unit in the south, where no recon has been made yet, to avoid the enemy, instead of staying behind its line units till he can see the result of the attack.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

moet,

Understood. I'll look into it.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

moet,

I have run the Elsenborn Ridge scenario half a dozen times and none have exhibited the behaviour you describe. In each case I gave an attack with and FUP at the same location you gave. In all cases the HQ and mortars headed to a spot either at or near the FUP. See below.

Attachments
ERAttack1.jpg
ERAttack1.jpg (211.39 KiB) Viewed 15 times
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Another example.

Attachments
ERAttack2.jpg
ERAttack2.jpg (212.65 KiB) Viewed 15 times
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Did you change any of the attack task options - eg route type? If so, what?
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
moet

Post by moet »

I'll check my saved games and will tell you about that (I have to restart my Mac computer on the Windows 7 partition to do it).
moet

Post by moet »

Arjuna, I send you (to support@panthergames.com) the .cog file saved before the HQ starts to move.

The original order was a probe one. As it is shown on this screen, the HQ goes south with a mortar unit while the three companies are going West, which seems to me to be the good way.

Attachments
Elsenborn_..ng_south.jpg
Elsenborn_..ng_south.jpg (179.7 KiB) Viewed 15 times
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Got it. I'll take a look. Thanks.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
moet

Post by moet »

I just end the Greyhound Dash scenario against a human opponent. I think I understand know how to avoid the strange behavior of some units during an attack.

The player has simply to ALWAYS fix the reorg point preceding the attack. If he doesn't fix that point, there is big chance that some units go around toward the enemy or toward unrecon territory that might hide some enemies.

Note that the AAR of the game will be published in the next issue of the PC4War French magazine.

Return to “Command Ops Series”