Solar Collection while moving

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Yonder

Solar Collection while moving

Post by Yonder »

I have read on these threads that solar collectors do not provide energy while the ship is moving. Is this true, and if so, what is the rationale for it? Does this refer to while the ship is warping, or does the solar collector not provide energy even if the ship is moving with normal engines?
HsojVvad

RE: Solar Collection while moving

Post by HsojVvad »

Ships moving do not use solar collectors and science labs. (yes I know you didn't ask for them but wanted to mention it just in case you or someone else didn't know.) Well if you are moving, how are you collecting solar power then? If it was in system, I think you should collect power, but in deep space when there is no stars close by how can you collect power then? That is why if a ship is moving it can't use solar collection. I guess it's easier to implement that solar power can't be used when moving.

That is why you have power generators. (sorry forget what the game calls them) The ships use these when they move. So it uses fuel. Do you really think solar power can really charge your engines to move at these speeds? I guess this is another reason why. Less to program and for the computer to think of all those ships in the game, the ships that use solar power for static power, and the reactors that power the engines. Easier and probably less memory issuses for the PC if it's one or the other, not both. That would make the game run slower.

*edit* Welcome to DW forum. I just noticed this is your first post. Nice to have you onboard.

This is why I put solar panels on all my ships. When not being used, and just waitng for pirates or the enemies, they use solar power while still and not reactor power when still. reactors use fuel even though the ship is not moving because the static power, like life support and habitation needs power or else the crew will die. Using solar power uses no fuel when standing still.
Yonder

Post by Yonder »

Thanks for the welcome.

I can completely see solar power not being channeled towards the engines, energy aside unless they have lasers as thrusters you would need reaction mass as well. However it seems like solar collectors should still be able to help with the other energy requirements even while moving (unless they are supposed to be large, fragile sails that are deployed while stationary, but that doesn't seem thematically correct, and there is no animation or anything to indicate that that's the case.

What I'd like to see is for the collector to check if it is in a system with a sun, and if so provide either it's maximum energy, or the amount of energy needed for non-propulsion needs of the ship (so in addition to life support, command and control, and those other static needs, the lasers, shields, etc, anything that should be using energy alone and not reaction mass as well.
HsojVvad

Post by HsojVvad »

I guess adding Solar panel to ships is making it a Hybrid eh? LMFAO. [:D] If you need the speed, the battery part kicks out, and the engine kicks in using gasoline. Once you maintain a steady speed then the battery kicks in and the engine kicks out.

To put this in DW terms, when you are moving, the reactors kick in using fuel, and when not moving the reactor kicks out and then the solar panels kick in. I am shure if CF tried to do as you asked, it would put more unessisary strain on the CPU to do all these calculation. I guess you have to draw a line sometimes, do you want playabilty with a fast CPU or more realism. I think this is a good trade off. We have one or the other not both. Even if the solar panels worked while moving, I don't think you would really be saving that much power. So again unesisary usage of the CPU and memory of the computer.
taltamir

Post by taltamir »

I think it is pretty obvious that he meant moving inside a solar system rather then "in warp between systems"...
I think solar power generation should be tied to sun output... different sun's should have different outputs... decrease it for distance from sun, multiply it by a modifier for the quality of your solar cells cap it at a certain value for those cells, and you got your output... and when not in a solar system you don't generate any energy at all. (so, sitting still in deep space gets you no energy)

also the AI designer needs to put solar cells on all ships. its hilarious watching a capital ship get stranded with 0 fuel... it cannot SHOOT, and it cannot move... so the enemy just has a field day... solar collectors means it can shoot and move, just not warp to other systems.
I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
HsojVvad

Post by HsojVvad »

That would kill our games I believe if we went by what you suggest taltamir. While I love what you said, just think of the 100 or even 1000 ships you would have in the late game. Then imagine the other races having ships like this too. So that could be 500-10 000 ships in the game, that the computer has to calculate and I would beleive would slow the game down considerably. That would eat into RAM and CPU and slow our games big time. That is why I think it was done that way it is. You eithe rhave it on when stopped or off when moving. The game already has enough calculations it has to do already. I think it's a good trade off.

But why not put your idea you have in the wish list thread. Maybe the developers know of an easy way of implimenting this into the game.
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

How the heck do I put solar panels on my ship? I've been trying to look in the custom ship menu on screen but all I see are various weapons and components and engines. 
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Yonder

Post by Yonder »

The first type is called "Basic Energy Collector" or something like that. It should be available from the very beginning.
HsojVvad

Post by HsojVvad »

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

How the heck do I put solar panels on my ship? I've been trying to look in the custom ship menu on screen but all I see are various weapons and components and engines. 
Well I hope I explain it well enough for you. Firt go to desing screen. Then pick a ship you want to upgrade it. Click the "copy as new"

Then go to the left and look for a thing that looks like solar panels. (again I forget what they are called) then you will se an arrow that points to the right. Click it once. It should add it to the ship now. All you really need is one. Because once you are in combat and move to attack the solar panels do not work anymore until you come to a complete stop wich will not be happening in combat.
Sithuk

Post by Sithuk »

I read somewhere that a Solar Energy Collector doesn't produce the nameplate energy rating. Rather it produces a fraction of the nameplate rating dependent on the distance from the star and the intensity of the solar radiation from the star.

Does anyone know the formula? Is there anyway to check how much energy is actually produced from collectors?

How many solar energy collectors do I need to supply a ship that is stationary at a star and has a 100 unit static energy requirement?
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

The solar panels can be deployed to collect energy when the ship is not moving, however, during movement they would be locked into a storage position...

Solar Collectors are fragile things, and to get ones large enough on a ship to run the systems, they would be necessarily large. More like a thin sheet of collection cells with a folding frame, etc.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Sithuk

Post by Sithuk »

Shark: I perhaps resurrected the wrong thread. I was asking for the formula for energy collectors energy production.
lordxorn

Post by lordxorn »

Sithuk if I understand you correctly, the answer is that it is not worthwhile to put more than one collector on a ship.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: lordxorn

Sithuk if I understand you correctly, the answer is that it is not worthwhile to put more than one collector on a ship.

Actually, if you want to use no fuel while sitting still, you need enough collectors to provide at least the static energy demand (you see it in the stats)...a little more doesn't hurt.
Distant Worlds Fan

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Actually, thought I'd take a screenshot to help show how this works.

You will notice I have labeled it accordingly. You will also note that this ship collects 48 energy, while static usage is 26. When not moving or fighting, this ship does not burn fuel (and yeah, the fleets of these ships only move when they are needed to fight...they are manual control and parked most of the time).

So long as your collected energy is more than your static energy usage, then your ship will not use fuel when it is parked and not moving/fighting.

Attachments
energycollector.jpg
energycollector.jpg (256.23 KiB) Viewed 5 times
Distant Worlds Fan

BigWolfChris

Post by BigWolfChris »

Ideally, you should have the static power covered on EVERY ship and base
This is because you will find alot of times, ships idling about waiting for orders or other ships

I will also mention, that on bases, energy collectors will also power weapons and shield regeneration, so it's worth having more if they work out cheaper than using reactors with fuel consumption
Infact, this allows you to create very powerful bases and weapon platforms that don't ever need to be refuelled, providing they are inside a solar system
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive
Sithuk

Post by Sithuk »

Shark: Please confirm that the Energy collection displayed is the amount generated when in proximity to a star and the ship is stationary? I had read that the energy collected is NOT what is shown. Rather it is scaled dependent on the energy given off by the star. Each star having different energy emission levels. So in reality I had understood that the energy produced by the on board energy collectors could be significantly less than that shown in your screenshot.

From a gameplay perspective, it would be convenient to just have the energy collectors generate the number shown on the ship design screen for the number of energy collectors installed in the design. I would favour this approach for simplicity.
Setekh

Post by Setekh »

I suppose the energy collection rate is dependant on the amount of "Solar" energy given off from the star.
It would be simpler for it to just have the collectors generate a certain amount, but then the differing energy amounts from the star would be rather pointless then.
caerr

Post by caerr »

I'm under the impression that those numbers are mainly fluff and do not influence you energy collecting panels in any way. What you see in the ship design screen is what you get.
Sithuk

Post by Sithuk »

Caerr: It would be helpful for one of the devs to confirm. I have searched 9 months of back threads on this topic and haven't yet found a definitive answer. Can anyone help?

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”