Facts about Distant Worlds

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

drillerman

RE: Facts about Distant Worlds

Post by drillerman »

One more fact about Distant Worlds:

IT'S NOT OUT YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:@]
Huh?
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

Thanks for you detailed post 'drillerman', is the best game primer I think that I've seen.

I think that you can't have a deep/layered single player game, and a multiplayer game on the same platform. Just doesn't seem to work properly if the Dev's try and do both, and this game is just fine in single player
in my book.
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

May we get this thread stuck to top?
Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

Cool. I thank you kind staff.
Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.
drillerman

Post by drillerman »

I have added more facts to the top message!!!![:D]
Huh?
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

Holy crap! Heh, thanks Drillerman. I hope that you continue to update the list. :)
drillerman

Post by drillerman »

I have added even more facts to the top message!!!![:D]   (Sorry for any duplicates!)
Huh?
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

"you cannot target civilian population"
In my pre purchase research
I just watched an "official" vid on youtube that said you could exterminate a population by orbital bombardment?
Which is correct?
"Tanks forward"
Wade1000

Post by Wade1000 »

Yeah, that needs to be updated. The planetary bombardment was added/enabled to the game very near release date; likely due to popular request.

Planetary population can be wiped out via planetary bombardment. It will likely cause negative reputation to your empire for diplomacy relations with other empires.
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

we don't need no stinkin diplomacy..
lol
so I guess it dependds on your strategy! be nice or cruel!

"Tanks forward"
Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

Crap, after reading this I had to buy it O.o

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

Crap, after reading this I had to buy it O.o

It's pretty awesome...even took the place of WiTP as my most played PC game. [X(]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Way2co0l

Post by Way2co0l »

ORIGINAL: Webbco

Praise the Lord for no multiplayer! There's plenty..and when I say plenty, I mean PLLLEENTY of games out there with multiplayer capability as we are fully aware, it's exciting and refreshing that some companies have the balls to just focus on singleplayer and make it awesome. Well done guys!!

P.S. And if multiplayer mode comes out in a later patch, then it's an extra bonus for those who like it! [;)]

I know this is in reply to an old post but just wanted to chime in anyway. :)

First off, there may be a lot of multiplayer games out there, but I really haven't found any that fit this genre quite to my liking. Most 4x space genre games have fallen far short of immersion that DW appears to offer. The closest game I can think of is Galactic Civilizations 2 which I absolutely loved, but was also devoid of MP. So for this type of game there really aren't many out there of any real quality, and most that match up are seriously dated or lack MP.

I can definitely understand why people would prefer developers to focus on the singleplayer experience as that is what most players use, and I definitely agree that MP should never take any kind of priority, but it's just frustrating to have no MP option whatsoever in a game like this.

Obviously I'll understand if MP is left out to avoid detracting from the SP experience but I hope sooner or later some MP functionality is added, even if not much is put into it besides the bare basics. The meat of the game will always be the SP obviously, but it'd be nice to be able to go head to head with my family/friends.

I actually just discovered the game tonight despite searching for the past several years for a game that does what this does (It's really not easy to find lol) and from the reading I've done so far the game looks great and I'm sure I'll end up buying it one way or another. I intend to wait for the expansion details before making my decision but I'm confident I'll be buying in the next couple of weeks. It looks like a lot of fun. :) I for one would gladly pay extra for an MP compatible version however, though I know there probably aren't enough like me to make it worth doing. :(
tegenAQR

Post by tegenAQR »

I've read thru some of the points in the  OP and had to buy it too...

Gods... I'm lost...

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”