Pilot training observation

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

CapAndGown

Pilot training observation

Post by CapAndGown »

SeethingErmine did a very useful set of test runs on pilot training that seemed to indicate that having veteran pilots in a training group did not noticeably impact the rate at which replacement pilots gained in skill or experience. (Thank you Ermine! [&o])

The thing about these test was that Ermine only used a maximum of 1/3 of the squadron having veterans. What I seem to be seeing is that in my front line squadrons, pilots that I draw from the general reserve pool, who mostly have between 56 and 58 experience and mid 60s skills, seem to be be gaining experience and skill increases much faster than when they are in the training units.

Perhaps it is the case that if a 75%+ of a squadron are high quality veterans then they can help the new guys get up to speed faster.

If this is the case, then it would seem an effective training regime would involve the following:

1) pull pilots out of replacement pool and set to training in however many different skills you want (navB, navS, ASW, for example)

2) Once their skills are up to about 60+ have them start flying actual missions to gain experience.

3) Once their experience is around 55-57 put them into the reserve pool.

4) For front line squadrons, have an excess of pilots of about 10-15% with that excess composed of people pulled out of the reserve pool.

5) In general, unless you are running some op, have your front line squadrons continue to engage in some level of training, say 10-20 percent in addition to their standard mission, whether that be CAP or naval attack.

Have others seen the rookie pilots gain skill quicker if the overwhelming majority of the squadron mates are high skilled/high experience veterans?
witpqs

RE: Pilot training observation

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown

Have others seen the rookie pilots gain skill quicker if the overwhelming majority of the squadron mates are high skilled/high experience veterans?

I think so, but not certain enough to quantify it.
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

2) Once their skills are up to about 60+ have them start flying actual missions to gain experience.

Not that I can say with any empirical certainty, but I think training (80%) while flying actual missions (10+%) increases experience the quickest..
CapAndGown

Post by CapAndGown »

ORIGINAL: n01487477

Not that I can say with any empirical certainty, but I think training (80%) while flying actual missions (10+%) increases experience the quickest..

Cool. I'll give that a try.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”