Two new games worth checking out

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Rosseau

Two new games worth checking out

Post by Rosseau »

If you're like me and just can't get enough of good war and strategy games, I'd like to suggest a couple of diamonds in the rough:

First, "Gratuitous Space Battles" over at Stardock. Ignore the name and the fact that it's published by Positech (Democracy, et al). There's some deep game play here and a lot of potential. With the Stardock "survey" discount, I got it for $16, and felt like sending the dev another $20. It's also easily modded. Check out the Positech forums for an in-depth look.

Second, "War Leaders: Clash of Nations." Published in Europe last year, with version 1.3 available here. It's a grand strategic/tactical RTS hybrid that actually works--for me at least--and I hate click fest RTS games, which this is not if you use the options right.

Graphically, the RTS portion looks somewhat like Battlefront's CM Shock Force, but in lower res and more traditional RTS interface. Hundreds of historically accurate units. No scenario editor, but you really don't need one with all the options they give you. If you can ignore the bad voice acting and the hokey graphic integration of the "leaders" on the campaign map, this game may surprise you with its depth. Sort of like HOI3 "light" without the bugs. And it's got a 161 page PDF manual to boot.

You can pick up a new copy at Amazon for around $22 including shipping. I got a slightly used version delivered in two days (a record for an Amazon reseller) for $18. Two DVDs and 7.5 gigs of good stuff.

Bottom line is the bang we get for our hard earned bucks: I paid $35 for Matrix's Op Barb, and would buy the game again if I had to. But for another $5, I get both of these? It's no contest! Also, in terms of replay/depth, comparing Op Barb to War Leaders is like comparing Risk to Empires in Arms, respectively. And I'm not knocking the Matrix game here.

And to those who bought the latest Slitherine offering here at Matrix, I offer my condolences...
Alan Sharif

RE: Two new games worth checking out

Post by Alan Sharif »

Mmmm, I have read bad things about 'War Leaders:Clash Od Nations'. Has version 1.3 sorted out some game stopping bugs? If so I may well take a closer look.
A Sharif
killroyishere

Post by killroyishere »

I saw the letters RTS and that was it for me. No Sale. I also already have a million strategy space games and nothing is going to be as good or compare to Orion II or GalCiv2 so why bother? I'd be more interested in shelling out the $39 for the Elemental game and getting into the free Beta. Just my 2fers.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I bought War Leaders: Clash of Nations from Newegg for $19.99 + Free Shipping. The biggest problem I have had with it is advancing the game to the next [AI] player after I end my turn. So I am puzzled as to what the RTS portion of it is--is that the battles? I am still learning the game, have only fought one battle, and let it play out instantly without my input (I won plus I got a new general and a hero!).
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

ORIGINAL: killroyishere

I saw the letters RTS and that was it for me. No Sale. I also already have a million strategy space games and nothing is going to be as good or compare to Orion II or GalCiv2 so why bother? I'd be more interested in shelling out the $39 for the Elemental game and getting into the free Beta. Just my 2fers.

GSB is actually more of a tower defense style game than a big space strat game...looks like lots of fun if you're in to that sort of thing. Set up your fleet, equip them, give them preliminary orders...then watch the fireworks.
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: killroyishere

No Sale. I also already have a million strategy space games and nothing is going to be as good or compare to Orion II or GalCiv2 so why bother?

As Artic Blast said, it's nothing like either (I'm playing the pay-to-beta). Or really, 'tower defence', although I see the similarity. The basic idea is that you construct spaceship designs, combine them into fleets, give them orders and sit back and watch the explosions. It's an interesting idea, but to be honest it hasn't really grabbed me as much as I expected and I've already put it aside, at least until the final release. AI War is a lot more fun.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I was considering AI Wars, Hertston, but was afraid it would be one of those frenetic RTS games. And with thousands of units, no less. Is there some deeper strategy to it, etc?

I should check out the demo again.

Thanks!
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

I was considering AI Wars, Hertston, but was afraid it would be one of those frenetic RTS games. And with thousands of units, no less. Is there some deeper strategy to it, etc?

I should check out the demo again.

Thanks!

I've been playing AI Wars for a few months. It's a very good value. I hate RTS games, all of them. I have the best ones too but just don't play them. AI Wars has a pause function and you can do almost anything while paused. Chris Park the programmer developer is doing more to that game every week than most developers do in a game lifetime. It has really evolved into a beautiful and well functioning game.

I pause it constantly while roaming around and planning things, building, ordering units, and more. Chris took the pause function and designed it so that players that don't care for RTS can treat it like a TBS game, and the result is excellent. Best of both worlds. It's very different than any other game I own. He is constantly polishing the game and adding new content weekly, it was daily but now it's more weekly. An expansion is now in the works too.

Inside the game there is a control guide that explains every key and mouse command. It's perfectly done. Tooltips everywhere that are very detailed.

For the price of $19.95, it's a very good deal.
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

This "AI Wars" looks awesome.Downloading demo now.At $20 this will be a definite buy if I like.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I know you will be impressed. It's also the kind of game that you can minimize and do email, surf the web, work on documents, and come back and no problems. I have email going while the game is running. Chris is an excellent programmer and it shows in every detail of this game.

The tutorials are very good too. Great support at his site also at Arcen Games.

Let us know how you like it. [:)]
V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

One word:WOW

Battles are awesome and massive, and the option to have anywhere from 10 - 120 star systems is incredible.The game totally beats Star Wars: Empire at War, as that game only has less than 50 star systems max.Battles in this game are also much bigger and epic.At $20 it's going to be a steal.Definitely on Xmas list.Can't wait to play around a little bit more with it tomorrow.

Edit:Geez guys, my Xmas list is starting to get a little big.I should take a quite a few things off.Between this and Harpoon, I'm going to have to really decide on what I really want.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Well if two guys with your experience like AI Wars, I am in.

Unfortunately, a bug/virus in my quad core won't allow me to download Net framework 3.5 or whatever it is. So I'll check the specs and see if it will run on my P4 2.8.

Thanks for the info.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I had the same impression, Alan, and then read a post from some guy somewhere with a strong wargaming pedigree and he was very high on it. And yeah, I have not run into any bugs, etc. so far with 1.3.

It's a big game, but more manageable than HOI3. You can auto resolve the RTS battles in the campaign, and there's also an RTS skirmish game with a huge number of units and options. 43 maps, but no map editor.
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Thanks Rosseau. For the right price I might take a look. I am in Worcester, in the UK, later today. Miht see if I can pick up a used copy cheaply from the gaming shops there.
A Sharif
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Let me know if you have any trouble, Alan, and I can probably help getting you a copy or shipping you a "demo."

I assume there is a 1.3 patch for the game in the UK. The devs are Italians by the way!
maharuf65

Post by maharuf65 »

I just get to know about this 2 Games I am going to buy them for sure Cause I cann't live without playing Games and is there any one who finished God of War ???
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: basudec1509

hello guys ...

its really nice post....

i just liked it....

thanks....

Spambot jerk. [:@]
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Hey Larry

It seems they hit the Matrix forums quite a bit. I don't recall these bots over on the Wargamer forums.
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
martok

Post by martok »

Oh, they show up on the Wargamer too. (In fact, I just reported one earlier this afternoon.) I'd say both sites get hit by them with about the same frequency.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Hey Larry

It seems they hit the Matrix forums quite a bit. I don't recall these bots over on the Wargamer forums.

Hi Lance! I've seen a bunch of them here. I don't go to Wargamer much to know.

Return to “General Discussion”