Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

leastonh1

RE: Avatar

Post by leastonh1 »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes
Scientology
Now, that's a word guaranteed to bring something really contentious to any debate. Can open....worms everywhere.

Buy a copy of The Complex by John Duignan. Very disturbing! The book cannot be sold in England.
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

Why can't it be sold over here....... is it another slap in the face for free speech?
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

Why can't it be sold over here....... is it another slap in the face for free speech?
Apparently the organisation in question got an injunction against sales in England. Fat lot of good it did them though as I got mine from eason.ie (the Irish based book seller). I wonder if they've heard of the Internet? Seems a bit pointless to block sales of a book in one country when you can simply order from any other. Doh! [:)]
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

For what it is worth, in my opinion an excellent and entertaining movie. Why does there have to be an in depth analytical dissection of every thing in today's age, why can't we see things for they are designed to do? In this instance to entertain. If you are wanting to spend a few bucks on entertainment go and see it. Life is too short to look ink splashes on paper.[:D]
Formerly Goodwood

Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: BASB

For what it is worth, in my opinion an excellent and entertaining movie. Why does there have to be an in depth analytical dissection of every thing in today's age, why can't we see things for they are designed to do? In this instance to entertain. If you are wanting to spend a few bucks on entertainment go and see it. Life is too short to look ink splashes on paper.[:D]

Well actually the man that made it DID have an ulterior motive, but fortunately most Americans can ignore that and just enjoy the good movie.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I'm sure he did.

I paid £8 - saw a great movie with a great story and great CGI...couldn't be happier. [:'(]
Alba gu' brath
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

Frankly, I think Cameron's strongest suit is humor. To me, his best films to date have been "True Lies" and "Aliens". 
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

I paid £8 - saw a great movie with a great story and great CGI...couldn't be happier.

Should have gone on Orange Wednesday mate.... Don't really like wearing the 3D specs when I already wear glasses. If the snow stops thinking of re watching it tomorrow, followed by a Nandos. May even sit there watching for the subliminal messages or more probably I'll just sit back and enjoy the experience again.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper
I paid £8 - saw a great movie with a great story and great CGI...couldn't be happier.

Should have gone on Orange Wednesday mate.... Don't really like wearing the 3D specs when I already wear glasses. If the snow stops thinking of re watching it tomorrow, followed by a Nandos. May even sit there watching for the subliminal messages or more probably I'll just sit back and enjoy the experience again.

Nothing subliminal about any of the messages, BUT if you are a sci fi fan easily ignored or even un noticed cause you are just enjoying the movie.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Knavery

Post by Knavery »

At the very basic level, Avatar was a movie about logging/mining and the innocent slaughter of indiginous people of a particular region. Just as District 9 was about apartheid. But I love movies with a message. Sci-fi or not, you learn something from it when all is said and done.
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
3.4 gigahertz AMD Phenom 965 Quad Core
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1024Meg
4GB RAM
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Why does there have to be an in depth analytical dissection of every thing in today's age, why can't we see things for they are designed to do? In this instance to entertain.

I'm not sure at all. If you ask the majority of Hollywood directors, they will insist they are not simply there to make a buck and keep the masses entertained, but also to inform, challenge, and enlighten. In other words, they think of themselves as serious artists (and IMHO, some of them are). I'd bet Cameron is one of that group.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock
Why does there have to be an in depth analytical dissection of every thing in today's age, why can't we see things for they are designed to do? In this instance to entertain.

I'm not sure at all. If you ask the majority of Hollywood directors, they will insist they are not simply there to make a buck and keep the masses entertained, but also to inform, challenge, and enlighten. In other words, they think of themselves as serious artists (and IMHO, some of them are). I'd bet Cameron is one of that group.
But I do not give them the time of day as informers or enlighteners...their movies are there for me to like or dislike - and I will like or dislike them based on the story and directorship.

I'm afraid all their attempts to get me to understand the problems in the world are completely and totally lost on me and they've wasted their time (with me). I understand why people saw Dances with Wolves in this film. I understand why people saw an anti war movie and I understand why people saw a "USA v Indian" story - I didn't and I enjoyed it immensely. Kids loved it too and, thank god, they didn't come out with any worldly wise (Hollywood style) enlightenment...they simply saw a good movie. [:D]
Alba gu' brath
11Bravo

Post by 11Bravo »

Sounds swell!

Planning to watch it with the gang at the Bijou.
Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

It proves once again that great special graphic effects do not a great movie. It does prove you can make big bucks without making a good film but have great graphic's and 3D. Quality of the film itself has little effect on the amount of money a film makes. The
guys that do the advertising are king now and how good the film really is matters not.
When you see this film ask yourself "How good would it be without the special effects and graphic's?

Madsgamer

BTW the game got poor reviews also
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
Doggie

Post by Doggie »

What great special effects? It is a cartoon. Nothing in this thing looks like anything but a cartoon. It is a computer generated Bambi meets Dances with Wolves.
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

maybe dowm deep in your soul it the feer that you might learn something about yourself and mankind in general that keeps you out of church. That's ok there are those who pray for the likes of people like you. There was a time I felt the same way as you.

Madgamer
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
JWW

Post by JWW »

Gee, it is just a fun movie to watch with groundbreaking 3D special effects.  The effects themselves are beautiful.  Other than that it is just another variation on a simple action romance story that's been told a thousand times before.  Dances with Wolves.  King Arthur.  Etc.  I also think there is one outstanding acting performance, and that is Stephen Lang as the colonel.  
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Some of you will LOVE this [;)]
Alba gu' brath
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

That's great! Thanks JD.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
JWW

Post by JWW »

Lol, that is pretty accurate.

Return to “General Discussion”