Problem With Disband / Withdrawl

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Cad908

Problem With Disband / Withdrawl

Post by Cad908 »

Cannot withdraw the 814 Sqn FAA currently in Karachi. I have bounced this unit around to multiple bases and carriers trying to disband / withdraw over the last few weeks. I lose 16 pp per turn, but every time I try to withdraw it gives me the 16 pp back, even if multiple attempts per turn. This occurred in 1096a and now still with 1096e. This is just my AI "fooling" around game, so not dire. Any help appreciated.

Attachments
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (269.29 KiB) Viewed 1 time
Cad908

RE: Problem With Disband / Withdrawl

Post by Cad908 »

Here is the save.
Attachments
wpae004.zip
(2.7 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
Smeulders

Post by Smeulders »

What does it tell you when you click on the disband or withdraw button ? And which of the options are you choosing ?
The AE-Wiki, help fill it out
Cad908

Post by Cad908 »

When I try disband, it tells me that I cannot disband past withdraw date.

When I try withdraw, the screen blinks, returns to the base with the group still there. It also adds the 16 pp to my total. You can repeat the process, it does the same thing, and you get another 16 pp. I have done this five times one turn, and got 80 pp, according to the intelligence screen.

This is the only group with the problem. I have not had this once during this game, and can withdraw / Disband the B-25C's at the same base, or any other group on the map.

Odd....

Smeulders

Post by Smeulders »

Yup, looks like a bug
The AE-Wiki, help fill it out
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

It is actually correct, although it shouldn't be giving you the option to withdraw early.

The air group is linked to group #1874 as a returning group. If a returning group exists in play, then you can't withdraw the group as it can't return as the new group. Old catch-22 situation.

Now from this save, I see:
1. Group #1873 returns as group #1874. But there is no reference in the current scenario #9 file that links group #1873 to #1874. So why does it?
2. (Assuming that the link was correct,) As the new group #1874 is a group on CV Venerable, and the group has no delay as it is tied to the ship arrival, it isn't allowing the group to be withdrawn. However, the CV is delayed so by inference so should the group assigned to the ship.

2. is a bug by omission - which I can put down for future updates.
1. is a possible change to OOB from the original release to now - would need a OOB designer to comment on.
Michael
Cad908

Post by Cad908 »

So it is just a minor database issue, rather as I thought in the first place. It is odd, in that usually I withdraw airgroups a little early as allies, it garners you political points, and quite a few at that. The airgroup was based on the Hermes, if I remember correctly, and it got caught by a flock of Betty's opposing a Japanese attempt to reinforce Akyab. I then sent it to Colombo for repair, and missed that an airgroup was ready for withdraw. I only attempted to withdraw / disband it after it was past due.

This does raise a couple of issues in my mind, which is why I posed.

1.) Is this an issue only with Scenario #9, or all the others? If it is all them, then I would have thought that this would have come up before now. If I had not missed the withdraw date, would there have been a problem? Big, or rather HUGE database, lots of potential burps.

2.) Is this a political points exploit? According to the Ops report and intelligence screen, I get 16 political points deducted each turn, but can reap an unlimited amount just by repeatedly pressing "withdraw group". In a serious PBEM game, well you get the picture.

Thank you both, and Happy Holidays to all.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

The code change will handle the current situation. The on-map group is set to NOT return but it HAD a return-as-group. Thus the code confusion.

I suspect that the confusion was discovered by OOBers and fixed in the first patch, but already started games already had the problem (as we don't update the group with the in-game updater due the potential destruction that could be caused by doing so).

Michael

Return to “Tech Support”