New name for recon, ideas ?

Welcome to the new war raging across hundreds of light years at once, with mechanized Titans as the main fighting force.

Moderator: MOD_TitansOfSteel

LarkinVB

New name for recon, ideas ?

Post by LarkinVB »

As the recon skill is now in the move category of skills we do need a new name to distinguis from the piloting skill of recon titans. Any idea how it could be called other than recon ?

Basically the skill gives better move and protection in wooded areas.
PrinceCorrin

Post by PrinceCorrin »

How about scouting?
Or woodsmoving?
hiking?
trailblazing!
bushwacking!!
cover and concealment
going commando!!
lumberjacking
timbertoddling
a davy crockett impression.
squirrelling
small furry rodent in the big bush!!
ok, that was a bit dirty.
I see your lips moving, but all I hear is: Blah Blah Blah, I'm a friggin moron.
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

I would vote for small furry rodent in the big bush if it wasn't too long to be displayed properly.
rosary

Post by rosary »

Originally posted by LarkinVB
I would vote for small furry rodent in the big bush if it wasn't too long to be displayed properly.
That is an excellent name for this skill. But I see your point. Perhaps, Navigation might work or
here's a list:

Navigation
Control
Piloting
Small furry rodent in the big bush*

*this one sounds familiar where did I hear it?
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Navigation isn't to the point.
Perhaps we should stick to recon and rename all
40t to scout ?
rosary

Post by rosary »

By all means, change the name of the 40t tos to scout.
Megrez

:)

Post by Megrez »

How about "sneak piloting"?

P.S.: the only problem is that you should insert it amongst the piloting skills :(
rosary

Re: :)

Post by rosary »

Originally posted by Megrez
How about "sneak piloting"?

P.S.: the only problem is that you should insert it amongst the piloting skills :(
the {recon] that we are talking about is already a Piloting skill. It just seems odd that we have a recon/light skill and also a recon skill. Here is the difference for those that want to give their input on this.

recon/light skill actually applies to the piloting of the 40ton and the 70 ton class of Titan.

The recon skill applies to being able to pilot any titan through woods etc,. . .

Does that make sense. This is why its important for us to change the name and the main reason that the furry rodent category has been so amply supplied by PC.
Megrez

Post by Megrez »

the {recon] that we are talking about is already a Piloting skill. It just seems odd that we have a recon/light skill and also a recon skill. Here is the difference for those that want to give their input on this.

recon/light skill actually applies to the piloting of the 40ton and the 70 ton class of Titan.

The recon skill applies to being able to pilot any titan through woods etc,. . .
I was talkin' about the second one :) (the one that permits to move through woods, etc...)
I think you could change the recon skill in "sneak piloting" skill, and in that case you could place it amongst the other piloting skills...

Anyway you could call it "sneak motion" or "sneak movements" and let it be where it is placed now :)

Meg
Megrez

P.S.

Post by Megrez »

I think that it should be very easy to change the name of the recon skill (I mean the one that permits to move through the woods, etc...) instead of changin' the name of the recon-piloting skill which is related to a titan-class. If you change this last one, you should change also the name of the related titan-class.... and to say the truth I don't see any other good name for a titan which is smaller than a light one is...
ste_mark

recon name

Post by ste_mark »

Why don't you call it stealth?
That's both about hiding and about moving silently!
Hardcore

Re: recon name

Post by Hardcore »

Originally posted by ste_mark
Why don't you call it stealth?
That's both about hiding and about moving silently!
Looking at the definition of the 'Recon' skill in the manual I'd have to agree that 'Stealth' is probably best.

The main features of the current 'Recon' skill are:
  1. Scanner links - seeing enemies without being seen, i.e. Stealth.
  2. Moving in rough or wooded areas - moving without being seen i.e. Stealth.
  3. Being harder to hit in a wooded hex - difficult to hit, i.e. Stealth!
    [/list=1]
    Sounds about right to me!

-- Hardcore --
rosary

Post by rosary »

Stealth works for me.
Megrez

Ok :)

Post by Megrez »

Good idea :)

Up for "stealth" :)

Meg :)
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

I can't imagine a 200t behemoth being stealthy at all :) yeah, every weight class uses the skill, let's not forget it. it's not about moving silently (this is not AD&D), and scanner links are not just about seeing without being seen. I think Recon fits it right, as it's a result of a good pre-battle recon that you get to find good spots to hide and see without being seen and all that. Good recon also makes you find the best way through those dense woods.
Changing recons to scouts, works for me.

BTW, scanner links are not affected by recon skill anymore, but by the scanner skill.
Iceman
rosary

Post by rosary »

Changing recon class titans to Scouts works for me too.

But I'd also be o.k. if the stealth skill had a geometric decline in effectivness dependant upon the weight class of the Titan.

This might help some higher ranked jocks remain in the smaller weight classes.
PrinceCorrin

Post by PrinceCorrin »

Well the whole point of reconnoitering is to scout out the enemy right?

Recon and scout mean the same thing too. So it wouldn't really confuse anybody if you changed them.

I actually like the idea of the recon class being changed to scout.
I see your lips moving, but all I hear is: Blah Blah Blah, I'm a friggin moron.
Megrez

hem...

Post by Megrez »

From the manual:
To damage a titan, you must first lock it with your battle computer. To lock it, you must have it
in direct sight or scanner range. The game makes great use of visibility and computes the visibility
for all titans to recreate fog of war. Hexes which can not be scanned are either black if never
seen before, or shadowed if they were once within scan range. As the jock's memory of these hexes
fades they become shadowed more and more.

If the jock's memory fades so fastly that he's not able to remember how an hex looks like after a few game-seconds, how is it possible that he remembers about good spots to hide in and about hexes' appearance from a pre-battle recon?
I think Recon fits it right, as it's a result of a good pre-battle recon that you get to find good spots to hide and see without being seen and all that. Good recon also makes you find the best way through those dense woods.
That's true in a real conflict, but it doesn't seem to fits with ToS' world. It's not a good explanation for the recon skill, and, to say the truth, I don't see any good one... This is the reason that drives me to think we should change that name.
It's not important if we change it in "stealth" or in something else... the point is to change that name... it just looks unappropriate.

"Scout" could be a good name for a titan class, but I still prefer "recon"... it sounds more "military".

Meg :cool:
Thorgrim

Post by Thorgrim »

Oh my, here we go again. Again, you read what suits you. In your quote of the manual, it says: "hexes which cannot be scanned...". So the jock memory part is bogus. Who gives a crap? It's a manual, not a novel. I was and still am doing my best to keep the html version of the manual updated (Eric is working on the Word final version), so if you're not satisfied with it (should I remind you that as Larkin already said, v1.4 is NO LONGER SUPPORTED) update it yourself for your own pleasure.
About pre-battle recon, I don't know exactly how my own backyard looks like, but if my life might depend on it, I'm sure I'd remember every single frigging hole I spotted there.
Tell me Megrez, do you actually play the game, or you just like quoting stuff? Just curious.
Iceman
rosary

Post by rosary »

Fog of war is now a standard in most strategy games. Its one of those things that if we took it out we'd get complaints that it wasn't included. Personally, I think it works extremely well. Of course, I get to play it on the new 3-D map graphics. I will say that the new 3D look makes the game a much different animal. I'm still not used to it.

To Prince Corrin, He's the King because a Watery Tart lobbed a scimitar at him.

Return to “Titans of Steel - Warring Suns”