disaster ??

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Eastern

disaster ??

Post by Eastern »

What happened here ? For two months now I have played Witp AE without a single problem. Yesterday I tried to start up but the game didnt respond !! I tried a quick start then I get the message FATAL ERROR 998 !! Is this because I got some automatic updates from windows the last few days or what ?? And what can I do about it ??
wdolson

RE: disaster ??

Post by wdolson »

Error 998 appears to be an issue with witprec.exe.

Some virus programs identify witprec.exe as a virus.  It's been a problem that crops up from time to time.  I think 2 or 3 AV programs have had a false positive on that file so far.  If your AV program identified it as a virus and deleted that file, AE won't run.  What AV program do you run?

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Eastern

Post by Eastern »

Ad-Aware , but it appeared before I run that AV, I had a message before from the windows AV that they traced a virus and removed it, so I think it was an automatic update of my windows XP that did the damage !! I couldnt uninstall , so I uninstalled Witp AE manualy from my computer and then reinstalled it again, but the problem isnt resolved, its the same all over again. If my guess is right you guys gone have the coming days much more complaints about this problem
GB68

Post by GB68 »

ORIGINAL: Eastern

Ad-Aware , but it appeared before I run that AV, I had a message before from the windows AV that they traced a virus and removed it, so I think it was an automatic update of my windows XP that did the damage !! I couldnt uninstall , so I uninstalled Witp AE manualy from my computer and then reinstalled it again, but the problem isnt resolved, its the same all over again. If my guess is right you guys gone have the coming days much more complaints about this problem

Hmmm? Any thoughts on which update caused the problem?

I ask as I have updates waiting to be installed. If I can avoid any potential conflicts, it might be helpful.
"Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?"
- Spike Milligan
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I had 5 updates waiting, and I updated with no problems. ( Well so far )[:D]
Eastern

Post by Eastern »

Are there patches to resolve my problem ?? Whatever I do, there are several games from Matrix who won't start up anymore !!
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

When it happens, you need to inform Matrix, then Matrix needs to inform the AV maker of the false positive.  The AV maker will usually issue an update in a day or two that takes care of the problem.  Some AV makers will take reports of false positives from consumers, but all of them listen to the original software publisher.

Ultimately, the problem is one the AV maker has to fix.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

I had my A/V decide my test build for patch 2 was a virus/acting suspiciously and deleted it. After spending 20 minutes downloading the comprehensive patch version of the installer.
I had to turn it off while I ran the installer. Nothing I did would leave the file alone.

Brrr..
Michael
KMCCARTHY

Post by KMCCARTHY »

Same issue with Norton Anti Virus. Temporarily turning off "SONAR Protection" worked.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: KMCCARTHY

Same issue with Norton Anti Virus. Temporarily turning off "SONAR Protection" worked.

Confirm
Pax

Return to “Tech Support”