Replacement CV names poll

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Laxplayer

Replacement CV names poll

Post by Laxplayer »

While poking around in my incoming ships list for the allies during a PBEM turn, I found that we can rename all those essex-class replacement CVs (Yorktown II, Hornet II, Wasp II, Lexington II)!! And while I'm sure many of you knew this long ago, I just found out by accident! Anyways...

I want to rename them, but I'm kind of stumped as to what theme I should use. I was thinking Civil War Battles (Gettysburg, Appomattox, etc), or dead presidents (like our current modern CVNs Lincoln, Washington, etc), or maybe something fun like my favorite beers (CV Newcastle Ale, CV Sierra Nevada, CV Yeungling, etc).

My PBEM opponent, rroberson, suggested the CV Paris Hilton, CV Lindsey Lohan, CV Brittney Spears and the CV Kim Kardashian." But I think I'm going to decline that one. [:'(]

Informal poll: What you have been renaming your ships to? Or have you been leaving them at the "II" names?
Halsey

RE: Replacement CV names poll

Post by Halsey »

Marne
Argonne Forest
St Mihiel
Bull Run
Gettysburg
Manila Bay
Lake Erie (Look up this battle in the history books [;)])
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

How about "Torpedo Magnet"? [:D]
Created by the amazing Dixie
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

OLD USN SHIPS: Constellation, Congress, Argus, Monitor, Guerriere, Alliance, New Ironsides

BATTLES: Gettysburg, Shiloh,Chickamauga,Pea Ridge, San Juan Hill

Constellation was nearly a CV name anyway; that was a name for one of the Lexington-class BC hulls. She was actually laid down prior to Saratoga, but Sara was further along in construction and got the nod for conversion.

I like San Juan Hill, I like to think FDR would have pushed that because that battle made Uncle Teddy (or cousin Teddy, whatever).

I'm surprised Monitor was never considered, pretty important ship in US Naval History, don't you think?

As far as Civil War Battles, Antietam was the only Civil War battle that actually got a CV name. I am speculating, I wonder if the Civil War was still fresh in the minds of Southerners, so a name like "Gettysburg" would be a little....sensitive. Antietam was pretty much a draw, so I wonder if "Shiloh" would get a similar nod, since it was basically a draw as well. Not sure why more Civil War battles didn't get play, and Revolutionary War ones did, but maybe it was politics and memory.....

That is a good question: Why did Revolutionary War battles get done to death, yet hardly any CIVIL WAR battles used for names? I wonder if it was Southern Pride......
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

That is a good question: Why did Revolutionary War battles get done to death, yet hardly any CIVIL WAR battles used for names? I wonder if it was Southern Pride......
Hmmm...to make my PBEM opponents with Southern Pride howl, I may consider the USS Sherman. It does have a nice ring to it for leaving a swath of destruction in its wake...

Oh...how about the USS Appomatox Courthouse?
RevRick

Post by RevRick »

I prefer to use the Klingon attitude variant method of naming ships, i.e., The USS Repugnant, USS Repulsive, USS Reprehensible, and USS Reprobate.

Actually, I used those names playing Star Fleet Battles....
Oh, for some photon torpedoes....
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Zacktar

Post by Zacktar »

Let Iain Banks be your guide: List of Ships (The Culture). Zero Gravitas, Ethics Gradient, Xenophobe, Killing Time . . . Tons of good ones in there.
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

The names of the not completed Essex class hulls come to mind: Reprisal and Iwo Jima.

EDIT: LOL - re Zacktar's avatar: I have lost Ching Lee KIA in my latest AE turn today....
LST Express

Post by LST Express »

My first three will be USS Larry, USS Moe, USS Curly.
Zacktar

Post by Zacktar »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget
EDIT: LOL - re Zacktar's avatar: I have lost Ching Lee KIA in my latest AE turn today....

Ouch! But then you don't want to know how many LST's I've been losing.

On a brighter note, your signature always makes me think of this one: "Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life." [;)] But there's no improving on George Carlin [&o] (I should name a CV after him!)
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

Galactica and Pegasus
I kid you no
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
scott64

Post by scott64 »

CV Bugs Bunny
CV Yosemite Sam
CV Road Runner
CV Wile E Coyote
CV Porky Pig

[:'(]
Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

As far as Civil War Battles, Antietam was the only Civil War battle that actually got a CV name. I am speculating, I wonder if the Civil War was still fresh in the minds of Southerners, so a name like "Gettysburg" would be a little....sensitive. Antietam was pretty much a draw, so I wonder if "Shiloh" would get a similar nod, since it was basically a draw as well. Not sure why more Civil War battles didn't get play, and Revolutionary War ones did, but maybe it was politics and memory.....

Yah think?[;)]

In WWII there were still CW vets alive, not to mention millions of children of former slaves (and some former slaves as well.) In the late 1950s, when the original 41 SSBNs were being approved by Congress, there was a donnybrook over naming any after CW southerners. The criterion was ""famous Americans and others who contributed to the growth of democracy." (From the USN's official Web site.) In that era of states rights being used as a cover for Jim Crow, there was a solid block of Southern congressmen and senators who were not going to stand for the Confederacy being excluded. After a lot of log-rolling the Union got two (Lincoln and US Grant) and the CSA got two (RE Lee and Stonewall Jackson.) Some Rebel-lovers thought it a win when John C. Calhoun slipped in, but the Unionists got their revenge with G. W. Carver.

Think it ended in the 50s? In the late 1960s, after I'd ridden a city bus to school which still had a white line painted on the floor half-way back, I discovered that answering "Civil War" on a public school history test got you an "F". The only correct answer, my non-Southern parents were informed at the conference, was "The War Between the States" or "The War of Northern Aggression." Following that lesson we were packed off for the mandatory field trip to Battle Abbey in Richmond for our required homage to Our Saintly Dead Heroes of the Lost Cause. Needless to say, Mr. Lincoln's birthday was not celebrated in our public school.

So no, there weren't going to be any CW-battle-named ships in the 1940s. OTOH, we could all agree that we kicked the Brits' behinds. (With some French, Prussian, and Polish help, suitably recognized by SSBN names dontchaknow.)[:)]
The Moose
Fishbed

Post by Fishbed »

Well there was at least an Essex CV named USS Antietam, wasn't there?
treespider

Post by treespider »

CV Floccinaucinihilipilification [;)]
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
anarchyintheuk

Post by anarchyintheuk »

Yeah, but the battle was a draw, so both sides look good, kind of. McClellan may have been one of the few generals in history that could take an extreme advantage in manpower and a favorable tactical situation and turn it into a draw.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

or...

Betty's Favorite
Floating Target
Bomb Absorber
Torpedo Sponge
Hulk of Burning Love...

Just a few suggestions. [:D]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

or...

Betty's Favorite
Floating Target
Bomb Absorber
Torpedo Sponge
Hulk of Burning Love...

Just a few suggestions. [:D]

"Skimmer". Just "Skimmer"

(Carriers always run at test depth.)
The Moose
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

I'm going to name a cruiser USS Bismark.....after the capital of S. Dakota!
88l71

Post by 88l71 »

I'm partial to USS Hellcat Carrying Death Machine myself.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”