Changing HQs

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rexor

Changing HQs

Post by Rexor »

Hey there,

Playing the Japanese vs. the AI. Actually, I'm still getting to know the game, and the only issue that dogs me is HQs--about which the dev's have remained weirdly silent. Nevertheless, I'm determined to learn this game, whatever it takes. So here's my question: I want to move the Guards Mixed Brigade in Tokyo to a staging ground for invasions against the SRA. It's attached to the Eastern Army, which is Restricted. What if I just move the brigade south to, say, Singapore without changing HQs? Will anyone care? Will I even have to expend PPs?

In other words, why not just send this unit into combat at the other end of the world without bothering to change HQs? Is distance from its restricted HQ an issue? Why not just deplete all the restricted HQs of their units--*without actually changing the units' HQs*--and send them into combat in other theaters? Aside from the Russian intervention issue, what is stopping me from doing this?

For whatever reason, questions like this from me and others about HQs have remained unanswered, so I don't expect much. But to be frank, this is a big thing--a really big thing, given that every unit on the map, big or small, has an HQ. I've pleaded in the past for an answer to HQ questions, and that didn't work. So now I'll just ask politely. Please? Please, can someone disperse the veil of secrecy that surrounds HQs? And please don't repeat what's already stated in the manual, which I've read 30 times already. I know that land HQs offer a land attack bonus and that naval HQs offer a bonus to ship repair and that air HQs play a pivotal role in pilot replenishment within a certain range. Is that it? If so, why bother having every base--*every base*--have an HQ? Why go through the trouble of coding this when it has NO meaning? Is it simply a design decision that went to pot? If so, please tell me, I won't mind, I simply need to understand why so vast a game has me dealing with HQs at every turn for no reason. Seriously, players on this forum have drawn up elaborate spreadsheets just to make the task of navigating the command structure easier, which would be fine--IF THE COMMAND STRUCTURE MATTERED.

Again, please don't take this as a rant. I look on this game as the eighth wonder of the world. I just want to understand it better. Everywhere I look, I have HQs to deal with, but my reading of the rules tells me not to care. Which is vexing, because a game of this scale should assign some major significance to headquarters.
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe." (H.G. Wells)
bradfordkay

RE: Changing HQs

Post by bradfordkay »

If the unit is in a restricted command, you will not be able to load it aboard any ships, so you will not be able to send it to Singapore. You can move a restricted unit with transport aircraft units, provided that you are sending it to a base that belongs to the restricted HQ to which the unit is attached. 
fair winds,
Brad
Rexor

Post by Rexor »

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

If the unit is in a restricted command, you will not be able to load it aboard any ships, so you will not be able to send it to Singapore. You can move a restricted unit with transport aircraft units, provided that you are sending it to a base that belongs to the restricted HQ to which the unit is attached. 

Thank you bradfordkay, that was a poor reading of the manual on my part, and I apologize for my effrontery. But I still don't understand the point of HQs in this game. Given their pervasive nature, why--beyond the obvious air asset needs--bother keeping units with their HQs?
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe." (H.G. Wells)
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

No need to apologize at all... this game is complex and confusing enough for anyone.

It is one of the problems with any game of this type: many aspects of the war have to be glossed over, and HQs fall into that category. The majority of the functions of an HQ unit in the game can be performed by any HQ unit, not necessarily the one to which a particular unit is attached.

The one aspect where this does matter is air unit replacements. If the base at which the air unit needing replacements is located does not have at least 20,000 supplies, it cannot receive any replacements unless it is within transfer range of the base at which either its direct HQ or Command HQ is located (and that base has 20,000 supplies).
fair winds,
Brad
Rainer

Post by Rainer »

Assigning HQs also contributes to "Historical Feeling".
Pure chrome, I know, but I like to have the troops, ships etc. assigned to HQs as it really was.
As long as mentioned troops, ships and HQs surrvive, of course ...
WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta
jomni

Post by jomni »

Well HQ do give combat bonus but range is so short so the benefit is limited.
But it does give much needed help in hot spots.
FOW

Post by FOW »

A fully implemented system for HQs doesn't exist - YET.

IIRC a dev mentioned that something "may" be introduced in the future - just can't find that post in the 1000s on this forum. Just don't try to tie anyone down to giving a definitive answer or clamouring for it[X(].
We'll just have to wait for things to naturally evolve [:D]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”